DVD-R compatibility

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Alright techies, this is really off topic

I'm thinking about getting some home-made copies of concerts that occurred over twenty years ago. They are not available commercially but there is a guy who mostly trades but will copy for the cost of expenses. He converts from VHS to DVD-R format.
My information is that Toshiba supports the DVD-R format and that is the brand of my DVD player. I don't think I will have compatibility issues but want to try to make sure. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Dave

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dave, you may want to have a look at these links, they may be helpful in deciphering the DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW formats you friend may be using. You should ask him, very specifically, what type of disk and recording format he's using.

What's the Difference?

Formats explained

I hope that helps! From what I could gather in your OP, I think you should be OK.

viking1

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Alright techies, this is really off topic

I'm thinking about getting some home-made copies of concerts that occurred over twenty years ago. They are not available commercially but there is a guy who mostly trades but will copy for the cost of expenses. He converts from VHS to DVD-R format.
My information is that Toshiba supports the DVD-R format and that is the brand of my DVD player. I don't think I will have compatibility issues but want to try to make sure. What are your thoughts? Thanks.
Dave

MOST home set top DVD players and or recorders are compatible with the
DVD-R format, and the DVD-RW (rewritable disks). Some, usually Panasonic also work with DVD-RAM.