DVR Transfer

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by unabear09, Apr 27, 2008.

1. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    hey all! got a question for the tech savvy men and women on the forum. I've got a Directv dvr. It has a usb port on the front of it, and I was wondering if I could transfer some of the shows that I have recorded on the dvr to my laptop. Is it possible? If so, do I need any special softwear on my computer? Looking forward to some responses. Thanks, Una

2. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

No it has a USB port. Your computer has a USB port. Its one connection to other. All you need is the USB cable. Soon as you plug the end into your computer it should recognize that you plugged in a device and you take it from there.

3. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    thanks man....so no special software or anything needed? i have about 24 episodes on my dvr that i would love to keep, but are taking up a hunk of space on the dvr....and need the space

4. sandwulf

sandwulf Member

Albums:
    It is possible on some decoder boxes but not on all of them.
    The vast majority of DVR boxes actually use the USB port for adding a USB hard drive for additional storage. The same goes for the boxes that have Firewire or SATA connectors.
    Many companies can and often do disable these connectors via software.

If all else fails, It is possible to open the unit and remove the drive from it to put in your computer.(not a good idea on rented equipment) Or if you only have a laptop you can get a cheap USB enclosure to put it in.

The video files are generally encoded in MPG4 format. Some decoders use proprietary encoding formats or encrypt the whole drive. But that is generally only done by some cable providers.
    Some also use one of the Linux Os's to run their machines. Therefore you'd need an ext3 filesystem driver to see the drive contents under windows. (a newer mac will be able to read it without anything special)

If you can give your box brand and type as well as your provider I should be able to find out if you can do anything with yours.

5. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    um gesh...lol..... well my satelite provider is direct tv.....now how would i go about finding what type of box it is?

6. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I dont think so. Try it. It should work. A easy way is to buy a Flash Drive and transfer it onto there. Your dealing with video so get one with about 8gb's. The reason i say this is because this amount of video will be too much for your computer. Get some Flash drives and keep your shows on there. Flash drives are cheap now. Do not put this massive amount of video on your computer. It will take up too much space on your Hard drive. When you want to watch the shows just plug in the Flash Drive to your computer.

7. sandwulf

sandwulf Member

Albums:
    It should say right on the front, or at the very least on a sticker on the bottom of the unit. Something along the lines of Scientific Atlanta 8300 HD.

8. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    wow mr. snakey....i never even thought of that. what i'd really love to do is be able to transfer some of these shows to my mp3 player (has video on it).....but a flash drive....

9. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:

let me see what i can find....ive got a lot of stuff sitting on top of the receiver, but i'll look....

10. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    ok....checked everything out....and all i could find was manufactured for directv.....no brand names or anything like that.....did have a model number

11. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I would try this. I dont see a problem with any decoders. I will check on that. Yes there are many options. Try your Mp'3 player too. Have fun. Let me know how it works out. Have fun.

12. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    no.

13. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Updated for correctness...

Let me know how that... "just plug in the USB cable" thing works for ya...:cool:

14. sandwulf

sandwulf Member

Albums:
    The model number will work just fine. Some models let you do more things then others as far as transferring files/adding drives ect...

I did a lot of reading on this subject a while back to see if I could do exactly this with my DVR cable box.
    The only way to do it on mine was to pull the drive out as they had disabled all of the external ports on the box.

15. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I say yes. I will do some checking on this. Always remember there is a way around anything. It just takes some time to figure it out.:wink:

16. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:

ok....let me get a pen and paper......

ok

DirecTV DVR plus model R15 MFR 500 RID 0008 7444 0068

hope that helps ???

17. nwarluvs2jo

nwarluvs2jo New Member

Albums:
    Here's a thread on the DIRECTV forum site. The model you have does not have the USB enabled.

< DIRECTV FORUM THREAD >

18. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    shit! well so much for that.....

19. sandwulf

sandwulf Member

Albums:
    There are also currently no hacks available to enable the port for your box. Or so I have read so far anyways.

Some boxes apparently can be hacked to enable the port and install a USB network adapter. This would allow you to see the box as a network device on your computer.

Do a little looking around on this site DVRplayground : Your Play-Timeshifting Community
    If anyone would know how to do what you need with your box then you can probably find the info there.

BTW, your box is more commonly referred to as an r15 500 or just an r15

20. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Correct. The kernel (software) hacks used on the RCA DVR 40/80 and similar Series 2 boxes don't work on the R10/R15 and similar Series 2.5 systems.

Your only option to hack that box is a hardware device. Not worth it, IMO.

The grand mother of all DVR hacking / modification message boards is over at Deal Database.

Draft saved Draft deleted