DWTS00 Appreciation thread

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
He frequently has highly salient points to make and unambiguously demonstrates that he has seen beyond the controlling and mechanistic structures of society.

However, he has no fucking idea how to communicate these insights to people in a manner that is non-confrontational and doesn't get their backs up. Similarly, he knows how to 'deconstruct' socio-cultural problems just fine, but has yet to contemplate how to offer up practical solutions outside the realm of a philosophical utopia.

In that sense, for me, he's at once the poster-child for 'hiding your light under a bushel' and for 'a little education is a dangerous thing'. I'm giving him time, because I can think of a near-endless list of thinkers (in the broadest sense) whose ultimate greatness was born variously from bouts of anger, inability to articulate, self-destructive stupors, mental illness, anti-social behavior, etc., etc., etc.

There's a series of compliments in here just struggling to get out really, y'know.

Chuck64

Experimental Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Stronzo - Most people who agree with him don't want to be associated with socially unacceptable comments like "AIDS is sexy"

That being said, sometimes I agree with him; sometimes I don't. He hates hypocrisy and that rarely leads one in the wrong direction.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
alex8 said:
He frequently has highly salient points to make and unambiguously demonstrates that he has seen beyond the controlling and mechanistic structures of society.

However, he has no fucking idea how to communicate these insights to people in a manner that is non-confrontational and doesn't get their backs up. Similarly, he knows how to 'deconstruct' socio-cultural problems just fine, but has yet to contemplate how to offer up practical solutions outside the realm of a philosophical utopia.

In that sense, for me, he's at once the poster-child for 'hiding your light under a bushel' and for 'a little education is a dangerous thing'. I'm giving him time, because I can think of a near-endless list of thinkers (in the broadest sense) whose ultimate greatness was born variously from bouts of anger, inability to articulate, self-destructive stupors, mental illness, anti-social behavior, etc., etc., etc.

There's a series of compliments in here just struggling to get out really, y'know.

Jesus that's good.

I agree with every point you make alex. And it's precisely why I like him on this board. But I think he'd suck in a circle jerk. And I definitely don't think Bryan should shack up with him.:33:

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Lex said:
Alex8's firmness of voice scares me shitless.

You must be joking... I'm still quivering somewhat since you yelled "BOY" at me in a dominant tone on a thread the other day, Lex. :rolleyes:

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Yeah, he's engaging in a way. But Alex gives him way too much credit.

(He yells 'shit' and pulls on his pud.)

However, he has no fucking idea how to communicate these insights to people in a manner that is non-confrontational and doesn't get their backs up.

(He has no intention of communicating anything except attitude. He's not failing his intention, he is, tragically, succeeding all too well.)

Similarly, he knows how to 'deconstruct' socio-cultural problems just fine, but has yet to contemplate how to offer up practical solutions outside the realm of a philosophical utopia.

(Yup. open the anus now, and call it deconstruction. [DWTS00, I mean, and not your post-Foucauldian self, Alex.])

In that sense, for me, he's at once the poster-child for 'hiding your light under a bushel' and for 'a little education is a dangerous thing'.

(Yup.)

I'm giving him time, because I can think of a near-endless list of thinkers (in the broadest sense) whose ultimate greatness was born variously from bouts of anger, inability to articulate, self-destructive stupors, mental illness, anti-social behavior, etc., etc., etc.

(And hope springs eternal, and George W. became president.)

But DWT is likeable. Can't deny it. His adolescent little outbursts at least remind us of that moment when energy seemed everything, passion was its own excuse, and maturation, no matter how it pounded at the gate, seemed foiled and beaten for another year or two.

In a way, I'd have to say with Stronzo: "Fuck it -- I like the dude."

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
senor rubirosa said:
"Fuck it -- I like the dude."
Y'see, I would never say that, which is why I wound up placing a large amount of crypto-academic waffle in my response, rather than any emotion. :cool: :rolleyes:

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
alex8 said:
You must be joking... I'm still quivering somewhat since you yelled "BOY" at me in a dominant tone on a thread the other day, Lex. :rolleyes:
is that a GOOD quiver or a BAD quiver?

(I am a very good, caring Daddy).

GoneA said:
sometimes man, he be like all angry and like mean then happy and like all angry again...

I KNOW. he be like, saying stuff dat I don't be agreein wit and I be like, YO STOP and he be like, posting STILL. DAMN.

B_Spladle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
alex8 said:

I have nothing to add to this.