Dying of Manflu

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by diesel_82, Feb 8, 2011.

1. diesel_82

diesel_82 New Member

I'm sick :( It's just a cold, but I am such a wimp when it comes to being sick. Apart from "plently of rest and lots of fluids" - anyone got any tips for making me feel not as "I want to die" as I do now?

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Make some rice and a broth of green tea and a generous dab of salt and eat it. Drink lots of liquids that you like. Stay warm and cuddle up and watch movies that comfort you. If you have access to a medication like NyQuil or Theraflu take it; it does not really do anything except take your mind off how badly you feel.
    Get well.... I've been fighting the same thing for the last week.

3. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Make sure you are humidified. That means run a humidifier if you have it, steam yourself in bathtub or shower, drink steamy hot mugs and bowls of soup, simmer an open kettle of water all day on the stove, whatever it takes to moisten the air. Also eat the menthol cough drops and rub the fumey stuff on your chest. Take the tylenol or the aspirin to reduce inflammation of your interior mucus making parts and blow your nose gently so it doesn't chafe.

I also notice that eating fresh oranges and grapefruits, whole not just the juice, makes a person's throat feel renewed.

4. diesel_82

diesel_82 New Member

awww thanks guys :) Think I'm just going to relocate to the couch with a blanket and watch episode after episode of some mindless sitcom. And hop myself up on cold & flu medication. Great day ahead! haha

5. Daisy

Gold Member

Im sick too. Im drinking tons of water, trying to rest and watching classic TV shows.

6. The Dragon

The Dragon New Member

Jewish penicillin....chicken soup, though I do pep mine up with adding Asian ingredients like lots of freshly grated ginger, garlic, shiitake mushrooms, fresh chili and lime juice and fish sauce.

7. D_Harry Erik Shun

D_Harry Erik Shun New Member

Easy old time recipe for a cold:

Measure 8oz. ginger ale into a saucepan. Add 2 tbsp. liquid honey. Cut 1 lemon into quarters
    squeeze the juice into the ginger ale and drop the pieces in to the saucepan. Crush 1 ASA tablet between two spoons and stir into mixture. Bring to a boil over med. heat. Let boil 2-3 minutes. Remove lemon pieces. Pour into a coffee mug. Drink while hot.

8. luka82

Gold Member

Chicken Soup! Real one! Like the one from your childhood, the one granny used to make!
    And lemonade, lots and lots of it! Watch comedies, nothing depressing. And there is a brilliant thing called PHONE, call people and bitch about EVERYTHING! They can`t blow you off now, you are sick!;) Stay positive, don`t let it bring you down.

9. wallaboi

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sorry...the poor guy is dying from MANFLU for heaven's sake! He doesn't need restorative recepies. How in hell is he supposed to get off the couch and measure, crush and boil when he can't even reach for the remote control? All he needs is his mother...a couple of doses of Oprah and Dr Phil would also probably help recovery.

10. diesel_82

diesel_82 New Member

hahaha thanks wallaboi... the ellen/oprah combo did work wonders. as did farmer wants a wife. but still feeling less than ideal.....

11. midlifebear

Gold Member

Find a primary care physician who is still willing to prescribe Robetussin with codeine or phenigrin with codeine, or paregoric. And while your at it, pick up a couple of twelve-pack packages of pseudophedrine. If you cannot find physician who is willing to trust you with such effective medications, continue your search until you do.

12. Daisy

Gold Member

What!! Farmer want a Wife is running on TV there? Is it the US version. OMG That show was terrible!! :tongue:

13. diesel_82

diesel_82 New Member

hell no it's the Aussie one!

14. Daisy

Gold Member

I wonder if it's as cheesy as ours. There were some serious skanks on that show. One of them ended up on some other dating show. Tough Love, I think it was.

15. dude_007

Gold Member

I like to dope myself up on ibuprofen with diphenhydramine and sleep as much as possible.

16. BiItalianBro

Gold Member

Put some Vicks vaporub rub on your feet and put socks on. I have why or how, but it has kicked several of my bouts with manflu to the curb.

17. B_subgirrl

B_subgirrl New Member

We used to do a much simpler version, easily made by someone who feels like crap. Put some honey and lemon juice in a cup, according to taste. Add hot water. Definitely a feel good drink for sick people.

And the Aussie version is bloody awful!

18. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

mommy used to offer me several things to eat, all of which I said no. then she would suggest a fried egg sandwich with catsup. always a winner.

these days, I keep frozen french toast (not sure what it's called outside the USA) in the freezer. works almost as good as a friend egg sand.

my M.D. prescribes Promethazine w/codeine (Phenergan w/codeine)cough syrup for me. it helps with coughing and mucus and the codeine reduces pain in the chest.

BTW, I get a flu shot each winter. it helps.

19. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ha. I do this every night now that I am old and creaky! Works very well. They have it at the dollar store.

20. D_MisterBater

D_MisterBater New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted