E-Venge...

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I just read an article on the rise in reputation damage that has occured on online. There seem to be sites to warn against cheating boyfriends and spouses, those which caught others parking incorrectly, cat calling etc. But is it always true? What if a nasty post on such a site comes as a result of an argument, jealousy , or disappointment over a relationship gone wrong? What do you think?

Weapon sites of choice have been:

dontdatehimgirl.com.,
Youtube.com.,
Caughtu.com

SassySpy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Actually, in reality that sort of thing has been happening a long time, we just called it something else. Think 'false rape accusations,' 'unfit mother allegations' etc.; whether stated for revenge or control, its still a power trip. The person committing the vengeful act has lost a measure of control somewhere, and (most likely) due to self esteem issues, is trying to gain it back in an idiotic manner.

I guess I have to be really angry to lose my temper AT someone, and revenge just isn't something I get pleasure from. And somewhat like you, :hug: Miss Naughty, I like my waters calm and placid whenever possible. I'm not a boat rocker without good reason, usually.:tongue:
If it happened to me, well... I'd not let it lie.. there are avenues available to people slandered, but its not easy to undo damage already done.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The only difference between faking rape accusations or unfit mother reports and internet revenge actions is that the latter grants a lot more safety for the perpetrator, it is very difficult to get a legal hold on him for these actions, whereas false accusations with the police would be falsely reporting a crime, and thus can get the revenger charged with a crime.

Publishing compromising photos, videos, and texts on the net isn't a crime per se, and I assume that no matter how compromising the displays are, the publisher can get away with it claiming the freedom of speech. Needless to say, when you're being accused of rape, you're at some point notified that you're under investigation, while it can take ages to find yourself being humiliated or accused of something when it happens on an internet site. Of course, that includes the possibility of not being the first to find such information.

SassySpy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The only difference between faking rape accusations or unfit mother reports and internet revenge actions is that the latter grants a lot more safety for the perpetrator, it is very difficult to get a legal hold on him for these actions, whereas false accusations with the police would be falsely reporting a crime, and thus can get the revenger charged with a crime.

Publishing compromising photos, videos, and texts on the net isn't a crime per se, and I assume that no matter how compromising the displays are, the publisher can get away with it claiming the freedom of speech. Needless to say, when you're being accused of rape, you're at some point notified that you're under investigation, while it can take ages to find yourself being humiliated or accused of something when it happens on an internet site. Of course, that includes the possibility of not being the first to find such information.

Thats actually a really good point, Claire- I'd forgotten how difficult (though it is improving) successful prosecution is with crimes primarily perpetuated on the internet.

OrcaBomber, I agree with you, but a 'reputation' can be undeservedly earned. I hope over the years I have chosen friends and actions wisely enough that I never have to face such a dilemma.:redface:

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OrcaBomber, I agree with you, but a 'reputation' can be undeservedly earned. I hope over the years I have chosen friends and actions wisely enough that I never have to face such a dilemma.:redface:

Not to mention that there are people for whom their reputation is a crucial matter. Business owners, for example: Certainly they will get into trouble if on some site or forum, related to their business, they're being discredited, claiming bad payment morale, faked bad quality/bad service reports. Or someone active in a security-crucial industry surely doesn't want pictures of himself in dubious forums, or allusions discrediting him.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, it is a terrible thing. I saw an awful case on Youtube where a woman took the tapes that her ex boyfriend had made for her and put them up for all to see. It really was quite awful. I can understand being hurt but I think it is worse to decimate in a few seconds what it has taken someone a lifetime to create. You can never truly clear out thoughts created by innuendo and half truth. I think that is why at work they changed our harrassment class from sexual to a more generic workplace harassment. It can take many forms.