Eagle Hunting

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

Jesus...i was doing some research on falconry etc the other day when i came across some research on the Eagle Hunters of Ghengis Kahn etc...

it is still a tradition today on the Mongolian Step...anyway...

Golden Eagles are total badasses...

i knew that they killed and hunted smaller birds and mammals, but the folks in modern Mongolia (and Khazakhstan/Krygstan) (sp?) and throughout the ages have taught them to hunt wolves...

it is absolutely crazy...

also, they hunt goats, and they either carry them off the mountain and carry them away, or they simply drag the goats off the mountain, dropping them a couple hundred feet to their death and then grabbing them...

I always knew they were pretty bold, but apparently, they exert 750 pounds of pressure per square inch with each Talon (which are pretty scary)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2218/1860660775_ba8722b52c.jpg

also consider they have a wingspan of 7-8 feet and a really sharp beak.

anyway, the following videos show them hunting, so be warned if you don't like that kind of thing.

the first video is the one showing them hunting goats in their natural environment

the second shows them with their masters in Mongolia as "Eagle Hunters" known as the Berkut, hunting wolves.

pretty fucking amazing...i would not want to mess with one of these.

warning: a tad violent.

1. Golden Eagles hunting mountain goats

YouTube - golden-eagle-drags-goats-off-cliff

2. Golden Eagles hunting wolves (incredible music, a type of chanting)

YouTube - hunting wolves with a golden eagle in Mongolia. Kazajstán-Ky

2. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    anybody got a golden eagle i can borrow?

my neighbors have a shit-brained black lab that barks all night that i need to have disappear.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

don't you touch that doggy :smile:

4. pym

pym New Member

Birds are quite clever.
    I owned a Goffin Cockatoo for 20 years. She was an extraordinary creature.
    That growling sounding MUSIC is TUVAN THROAT SINGING.

Flashy....just aheads up.
    On Sunday @ 8:00 pm on the National Geo channel #162 on cable.....Is a program called 'Kingdom Of the Blue Whale'. Looks to be good.

5. thadjock

Gold Member

Albums:
    ok how bout the eagle just carries off the stupid owners, then i can retrain the dog to be a seeing eye dog for deaf people.

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Amazing. I so want to go to Mongolia...

Love the music in the wolf video.

I don't think those were full grown timber wolves though... But the bird only weighs 15 lbs! Fucking amazing how it can take down a carnivore weighing much more. It looked like the one wolf was about take out the eagle until the second bird hit it too.

Mama goat wasn't taking any shit from the eagle though was she? Goats are cool.

7. Flashy

Gold Member

yes i know...i cannot wait for the Blue Whale one...i Tivoed it a couple days ago.

I actually saw one on a whale watch off Monterrey many years ago...incredible creature

8. Flashy

Gold Member

yes, i think you are right...i believe they are called "wolflings" (a yearling wolf)

the one were the second eagle came in was absolutely amazing, yes.

apparently, when they hunt larger wolves, they use 4 Eagles, and apparently they are specially trained to go certain eras of the head, heart and lung areas, as well as the eyes, to try to most effectively disable the wolf

they do take out foxes though on their own, obviously because foxes are usually smaller, and if you do a quick youtube search, for Eagle hunts fox or something like that, you can find it rather quckly.

that song is amazing and as Pym was stating that music is rather amazing.

that one song that they used is called "A Journey In The Steppe"

i really want to find it. I enjoy all those Tibetan chanting type themes.

alot of indigenous music like that is rather interesting, be it that type, or Native American music, african tribal music, hawaian music...especially when they fuse it in modern music.

Yes, that mama goat was very pissed off...but i have to believe, that the eagle could ultimately outmaneuver and kill her, but she was not the target, the kids were.

probably too much a risk of injury for the eagle...apparently if they lose even one talon it renders them unable to hunt effectively enough to survive (from what i have heard)

9. pym

pym New Member

10. Flashy

Gold Member

interesting stuff...i liked the second one.

11. Xcuze

Gold Member

Sorry, I think they are evil! I hate birds anyway but they are like the Devils very own. Those poor little goats don't stand a chance. Hardly a fair fight. I wanna go there with a big stick & whack the crap out of them!

I really cheered when the wolf was getting the better. But even he didnt have a fair chance. I admire their design & awesome predatory skills. But they remind me of the flying monkeys in Clash of the Titans. Or was it Wizard of Oz? Both!

BTW how the fuck is this video related to Eagle hunting?
    (see attached)

:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

12. Flashy

Gold Member

LOL....I know, i have been wondering about that "milf" video ever since i first saw the eagle video...LOL...it gets me every time. too random :biggrin1:

13. ballsaplenty2156

ballsaplenty2156 New Member

Fascinating!! I've seen the eagles vs. wolf video before. I agree with the fact the wolf was very young, barely more than a puppy. But there is no denying the eagle's skill as a predator.

Draft saved Draft deleted