Earth would be great, if it wasn't for the people.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by TBoneSteak, May 12, 2007.

1. TBoneSteak

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It seems there are just two many people around and I can't deal with it! It really becomes noticeable when everybody wants to do the same thing at the same time.

For example, the grad-student housing I live in (not for long) is having a "free-laundry weekend" where the on-site laundromats's washing machines and dryers are all free this whole weekend, whereas they usually cost a dollar a load. Sounds like a great deal right? Of course when you get in there, there's like 75,000 dirty people all lurking, waiting to take someone's laundry out of the next available washer and insert their collection of vintage 70's tennis shoes or wash all their collectible teddy bears!

Then probably one of the washers breaks a seal from the overuse and floods the floor of the whole place with soapy water effectively turning what was supposed to be a nice thing into a pain in the ass for everyone. What the fuck man I just can't deal with it.

Another example is when you're going to a concert that everyone wants to go to...Sounds like great fun until you get piled up on the two-lane highway that wasn't designed for the flood of station wagons and SUVs, stuck motionless, miles away from the venue, missing the opening bands and not getting drunk OR high, honking and cussing at people who are honking at you!

It seems like everytime I try to 'go with the herd' or 'just fit in' I end up feeling so uncomfortable and hating life...Maybe I have a mild case of agoraphobia but sometimes I just want to avoid other people at all costs!

The only reason I can think of to have all these people on the earth is that someday there will be a huge plague or natural disaster and 50% of humans will die, leaving only the big-dicked guys and the women who love them:cool:

Okay I don't know how that last part is going to work but whatever:tongue:

2. viking1

Gold Member

That is for sure. You aren't the only one who feels this way, either.

3. dong20

Gold Member

Thing is, being people yourselves; the OP title applies to you too.:smile:

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

This reminds me of an ancient Twilight Zone episode wherein a fed up guy arranged for all the evil people in the world to disappear at a certain time.

The time came and went and nobody ever missed him.

5. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

That JQBlonde sure got around.

6. viking1

Gold Member

Never said it didn't apply to myself also. I wish I had never been in the world and I am sure the world and everyone in it would be better off without me.
    I agree completely.

7. dong20

Gold Member

Such dark thoughts, and probably unwarranted. I was only speaking in jest (i.e. the you wasn't a personal one).

8. viking1

Gold Member

I know you were joking and not making a personal attack.

Dark thoughts or not, my statement is still most likely true.

Our planet can only support so many people before it's damaged beyond any chance of recovery. That point is coming up on us very soon. That I know of I have never made any relevant contribution to society. Therefore I would not be needed or missed. Just the plain truth.

9. dong20

Gold Member

To be honest I have a mostly unfavourable opinion of Humans as a species, certainly our current laissez Faire attitude to it's stewardship. Some individuals are pretty dire also. But on a personal level it's usually hard to assess with any precision if at all the positivity we each impart on those we interact with (and thus society as whole) for we usually do so in ignorance of it. Of course there's a flip side to that scenario also but it's part of being what we are and seldom entirely one sided.

Chin up.:smile:

10. pavement

pavement New Member

This reminds me of the old saw about the doom sayer who every day proclaimed that the end was nigh and was eventually right but never knew it.

11. pavement

pavement New Member

Of course it could be said eventually no one will be missed once all people who knew them and some generations after that have died and if all recorded evidence of there existence is destroyed, lost, inaccessible or not bothered with and if in 4.6879251 billion years the Earth is vaporised by the red giant sun(though it appears more likely it won't be) any evidence of your existence would need to be endo-terra but as far as relevance this is of course oft the subject of time travel stories(arla A Wonderful Life) where the effect of causation is unclear.
    In a infinite meta universe all relational effects may be extended to a indefinite postponement thus negating verifiable assurance but not precluding possible indeterminacy and thus it might be thought a bulwark for hope.

12. earllogjam

Gold Member

We have lots of space. It's just that everyone wants to be in the same place.

Have you ever driven thru Nevada? Interesting Nevada is one of the most urban states because everyone there wants to live in Las Vegas or Reno and the rest is a barren desert.

Maybe the solution is to build real honest to good new cities instead of just adding soulless subdivisions, making the existing cities worse. The way America has handled our population growth is thru sprawl and blight, more sprawl past the old blight - ad infinitum, which adds up to a whole bunch of ugly that doesn't work.

13. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

An interesting on topic fact that I came across recently. I was asked "What percentage of people are alive today that have ever lived?" I expected it to be very low and was shocked to discover that it is about 5-6%. Although the figures for those that have ever lived vary greatly and some estimates put the figure as high as 10%.

Here is a link on it.

If the estimates on rate of increase are true then expect the world population to have increased by around 40% by 2050.

Draft saved Draft deleted