Earthquake shakes up Britain

D

deleted136887

That's too bad. Apart from geological factors, what makes UK exempt from earthquakes and other natural disasters? Do you expect them to only occur in the third world?

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's too bad. Apart from geological factors, what makes UK exempt from earthquakes and other natural disasters? Do you expect them to only occur in the third world?

Easssssy. Lighten up Francis... just a geological occurence, not a funking socio-economic point for you to leverage.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not all earthquakes occur in 3rd world nations. :rolleyes: :duh:

At risk of sounding like an elitist snob, most buildings, homes, businesses, etc. in the UK are not mud or adobe huts.

It has to do with resonance. When the frequency of the earthquake matches the natural frequency of a building, resonance occurs, and that building will shake more than others. So if you live in a modern structure made of brick, wood, and/or steel you have a much better chance of surviving a earthquake. :cool:

Earthquakes shake some buildings more than others.

Earthquakes shake some buildings more than others. Earthquakes cause the ground to vibrate, which means that it moves back and forth. The number of vibrations per second that the ground moves is the frequency of the motion. The frequency of the shaking causes some buildings to vibrate more than others. This is because all objects have a natural frequency at which they vibrate. When the frequency of the earthquake matches the natural frequency of a building, resonance occurs, and that building will shake more than others.

We are nowhere near a fault line and our climate is all wrong for weather based disasters
I was curious about that. I didn't know the UK had a fault line; so an earthquake there is shocking. I hope no one was injured.

indeed

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I felt that shit :O I thought i was going mad, but my whole room shook with me in it. Not hard enough to knock anything over, but i was unwillingly moveing. I stopped what i was doing and got up, and by then it had stopped so i just assumed i was going mad and must have imagined it. Wow, a big quake in the UK, hope not too many are hurt :S

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Welcome to life on the San Andreas Fault.... perhaps a few know what it means (in a VERY good way) to say "we haven't had a good earthquake in awhile".

Them girls need to let off some steam once and awhile.... otherwise, thems gets bitchy... and everybody loses.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It happened a couple of hours ago,it was one of the strongest here.The whole house shook but there doesn't seem to be any damage.

I felt that shit :O I thought i was going mad, but my whole room shook with me in it. Not hard enough to knock anything over, but i was unwillingly moveing. I stopped what i was doing and got up, and by then it had stopped so i just assumed i was going mad and must have imagined it. Wow, a big quake in the UK, hope not too many are hurt :S

Pffft! :tongue: You two hot guys probably weren't alone; and thought that you had once again made the earth move. :wink: :biggrin1:

But seriously, I am glad you are okay.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
Apparently it was felt strongly where my mother lives, I'll have to ring and ask her in the morning. I didn't feel a thing of the earthquake we had a few years ago - it was much closer to me than this one, too.

England is clearly quivering with anticipation of my return. Our climate is so random. :smile:

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Um, apart from geological factors? We're talking about earthquakes right? :confused: Last time I checked I don't live in a third world country. I mean, yes, parts of LA are pretty rough but...

I'm so very confused now.

Anyway, I hope our UK friends are all okay and not too shaken up.