Earthquake!

D

deleted3782

East coast USA: Did you feel the earth shake today?

D

deleted3782

It was strong enough here in North Carolina to cause mild alarm. That was my first quake...

B_curiousme01

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yes! Wow! It lasted for quite a while. I lived in L.A. for five years or so and I knew what it was happening. I kept waiting to feel the really big rolls and sideways jerking! It was more like a really long rumble with a bump or five. My heart is thundering still.

I hope no one was seriously injured or that we don't have any nuclear concerns! Wow!

D_Ricky Dickardo

Loved Member
Media
I am only hearing about this now, so I had to look it up on our local news. I was taking a nap and I felt something that startled me and the pull chain on a floor lamp was tinging against the post. My first thought was that some animal got into my house and jumped on the bed, even though that has never happened before.
I think that was my first experience with one.

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
def felt it here in nyc. i have been thru one in LA, so i quickly knew what was going on. people here, especially those who work down town are shaken up a bit (def no pun intended). it was def weird. some phone lines are out.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
awww the east coast got a lil quake...thats cute :laughing::tongue22:

Not little enough to be condescendingly treated. As a veteran of decades of California quakes, I can say that this one was a fairly healthy "roller", with a surprisingly significant duration and a healthy amount of structure shake.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
CNN just cut away from the live coverage of the storming of Gaddafi's fortress, to bring us a breathless telephone report from Wolf Blitzer telling how he rode out the quake which at first he thought was caused by some construction workers on the upper floors. Apparently, he was hustling on down to his "Situation Room" (is it in a bunker?) to fill us in on the latest developments. From the live shots they showed, the White House and Capitol were still standing.

I switched it back to Al Jazeera.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
A 5.9 can be a significant quake if the geology is right. If there is a lot of alluvial soil instead of bedrock, the shock waves can travel very easily and further, and be amplified. I think. Is there a geologist in the room?