Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
here in Jersey I was watching TV and all of a sudden the TV sharted shaking , it almost fell of the wall and the light fixtures were shaking back n forth our cell phones were not working either it is my first time experiencing after shocks everybody in my neighborhood were running outside of their houses

D

deleted3782

A 5.9 can be a significant quake if the geology is right. If there is a lot of alluvial soil instead of bedrock, the shock waves can travel very easily and further, and be amplified. I think. Is there a geologist in the room?

I am not a geologist but I play one at parties and you are correct, the earth's crust here is old and cold, which results in the efficient transmission of energy...which is why the temblor was felt through such a broad portion of the country.

I've lived here most of my 188 years, and as I said earlier, this was my first quake.

Now if we can just avoid locusts and that pesky hurricane...

monel

Sexy Member
Media
Ooh, I like that Frenchy stuff, for sure. So classy and hifalutin! Well done, sir!

Is there a better word than "hifalutin"? It sounds like an expensive cologne. "Hifalutin by Yeardly. For the sophisticated gentleman ... and his amore".

Mensch1351

Cherished Member
Media
In the only other State that begins with "K"!
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A 5.9 can be a significant quake if the geology is right. If there is a lot of alluvial soil instead of bedrock, the shock waves can travel very easily and further, and be amplified. I think. Is there a geologist in the room?

This is exactly what the geological expert on MSNBC said that for the East Coast -- this is signficant. My son in Cincinnati called me and said his wife had called and said the blinds in her office were shaking back and forth!! The quake was felt as far away as Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Toronto & Chicago! (and they've "downgraded" it to a 5.8) Evidently there may be some structural damage to the central pillar of the National Cathedral!

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Attention please: you can't have an earthquake without Lucy!!!! East Coast Quake Unlikely, But No Surprise | NBC Los Angeles

Dr. Lucy Jones over at Cal-Tech is a Southern California treasure. She burst on the scene around the time of the 1987 Whittier Narrows earthquake (ironically measured at 5.9 as well) and has been entertaining us ever since. I really think her orgasms generated from earthquake lectures exceed the pleasure she derives from any hetero or lesbian sex. :biggrin1:

rd62624

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i was standing in my kitchen and all the dishes and glasses were shaking, I was like WTF. And i went outside eveybody in the neighborhood was outside saying it was an earthquake. Wow!

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I live in NYC and this was my 2nd earthquake of any magnitude.

The 1st was sometime in the early 1990's and at that time a large picture frame fell off the wall and the glass broke into 2
pieces....it is hanging again and the glass has never been
replaced. We lost 5 Irish chrystal wine glasses (@$250.00 ea.)
that day because the shelves shook so much they banged
against each other and broke. That time it was a local quake
and lasted about 20 sec. which felt like much longer.

Today, 2 earthquakes were felt in NYS....one at 6am in Upper New York State which we did not feel in NYC...and the Virginia
earthquake which we did feel in NYC.
Because of the shallowness of the Virgina one, it traveled further (covering an area from Mississippi to Canada...my family felt it in Georgia) and due to NYC/Manhattan being of solid rock...I understand the tremors or waves were felt more in Manhattan
proper. There are 2 different faults in Manhattan, Upper
Manhattan (which also runs under the Nuclear Plant) and also across 14th Street in Lower Manhattan near where I live.

I had described today's like walking on Jello...but later heard a man on TV say it was like stanging on a mattress and having some one jump up and down on it next to you. It lasted about 20-25 seconds, but seemed longer.

I have 3 large cabinets with sliding doors at the top and at the bottom with shelves in between. These 12 doors rattles so loudly they sounded like a machine gun. I had a stack of about 40 or 50 National Geographic/Smithsonian and other magazines that I was going to tie up and put in the recycle bin. This pile
was strewn all over the floor like some one had given them a big
kick in various directions. My cell phone would not work...and
my cat was standing on his hind legs...looking like a rabbit, ...
frozen...looking out the windows with eyes twice the normal size. After it stopped, he ran over and jumped into my arms like
a dog would...very strange.

It may not have been a California type earthquake, but that is fine with me...I will take these "little ones" and be glad of them...

Last edited:

MsImperfect

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I'm in Fredericton, NB (Canada) .. our building was evacuated after it happened. Everyone was surprised that we could even feel it. I was sitting in my office and it all started swaying and I'm like, wtf is going on?

It was my 2nd earthquake in 35yrs.. I thought it was pretty cool..