Easily offended?

fredlet

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by HappyHammer1977@Oct 20 2005, 10:32 AM
I'll give you a couple of examples of what I'm getting at -

If a child is allowed to say 'poo' or even 'crap' (nowadays), why can't he say 'shit' when it means the same thing?

You can say and talk about sex, vaginas, penises et al all day on TV, but you can't say 'fuck', 'cunt' or 'cock' before 9pm (on British TV), even in context.

I'm not talking about people with a poor vocabulary, who just put swear-words into sentances to fill a silence, or like other people say 'very', they say 'fucking'.
[post=353527]Quoted post[/post]​

I have an uncle who finds these forms of censorship hilarious. He's always sworn a blue streak, even after the birth of his children. One of the first phrases his daughters learned was, "Fuck You!!"

He has several eccentricities, other than language. He always eats his meals one item at a time, after a round of pre-testing. His opinions are always off the wall, slightly akilter, always honest.

So, two weeks ago, he had a stroke. Lost some mobility, doing rehab. The medical staff frequently took his wife aside to ask her personal questions: Did he always swear this much? Did he always eat like that? Did he always speak in such an abrupt manner? -Turns out a lot of his normal behavior was consistent with commonly observed after-effects of a stroke. I ventured that perhaps this wasn't his first stroke, and got a reassuringly healthy stream of invective in return.

At the same hospital, a harsh but honest attempt to avoid bland euphemisms: if a patient dies in their care, the nurse or doctor filling out the report is not allowed to use words like "expired", "passed away", etc...they have to say "died".

B_hungrick

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm fascinated by how anything or word related to sexuality can be interpreted as somehow "dirty" or " obscene". Maybe it has to do with something more than puritanism. Maybe it's something to do with the intimacy of sexual activity. For instance when we go to the zoo & see monkeys fucking each other, we may laugh but we don't try to stop them from doing it. But if people are fucking in public, the cops are there to stop them immediately. To me part of it is how vulnerable we feel when we're having sex & that it's a private affair. Like I'm an exhibitionist to a degree, but I'm not sure I want the whole world to see me when I'm have an intense orgasm, or after I'm done masturbating, with my DNA all over my body.

BuffMusicIdol

Just Browsing
Media
There is an appropriate time and place for uncensored information. I, however, would be pretty upset if there wasn't some kind of censorship to protect people/gatherings/children who neither want uncensored material, or are ready to handle it.

I think censorship should be about propriety of the setting, not protecting mankind from it all together.

Like I said, a time and a place for all things.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by hungrick@Oct 26 2005, 10:03 PM
I'm fascinated by how anything or word related to sexuality can be interpreted as somehow "dirty" or " obscene".

Words of Latin, or occasionally Greek, origin were generally considered elegant at best, or at least scientific. Words like penis, vagina, phallus, coitus, etc., are seen as clinical and 'proper'. Anglo-Saxon was the language of the common man in medieval England and considered unfit for polite company. Those are the words considered obscene today.

B_HappyHammer1977

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by hungrick@Oct 27 2005, 04:03 AM
I'm fascinated by how anything or word related to sexuality can be interpreted as somehow "dirty" or " obscene". Maybe it has to do with something more than puritanism. Maybe it's something to do with the intimacy of sexual activity. For instance when we go to the zoo & see monkeys fucking each other, we may laugh but we don't try to stop them from doing it. But if people are fucking in public, the cops are there to stop them immediately. To me part of it is how vulnerable we feel when we're having sex & that it's a private affair. Like I'm an exhibitionist to a degree, but I'm not sure I want the whole world to see me when I'm have an intense orgasm, or after I'm done masturbating, with my DNA all over my body.
[post=355689]Quoted post[/post]​

But it'd be your choice to do it if you wanted to, or to watch it if someone else was.

B_HappyHammer1977

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Going back to Ango-Saxon times - Witches! Oh yes, witches and wizards are said to have put curses on certain words and anyone who says these words will be cursed with whatever it was that they wanted to curse them with. Hence the phrase 'curse words' and 'cursing'. Isn't it amazing that 1000 years or so later this still lingers on?!

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Dr Rock+Oct 26 2005, 07:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr Rock &#064; Oct 26 2005, 07:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dr. Dilznick@Oct 24 2005, 12:21 PM
Agreed there, Chuck, I should mine the pure gold which are "The Holocaust was a Hoax" jokes next time.
[post=354808]Quoted post[/post]​
pffft. straightforward holocaust jokes are way funnier than holocaust-hoax jokes; the latter imply that millions of people WEREN&#39;T systematically exterminated, and i don&#39;t honestly see how anything could be funnier than that.
[post=355519]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Well, as somebody who knew of someone who was in a concentration camp, and had the serial tattoos on their arm, and was very emphatic and outraged about the very notion of the holocaust being a fake and a joke, that&#39;s where my distaste for the even mention of it comes into play.

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I haven&#39;t got any problem laughing at death, but I do have a problem when an 80 yr old woman finds the mention of a personal subject close to home for her to be tacit, because it isn&#39;t the kind of thing that you can easily dismiss.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, back to the original topic... I have heard complaints, seen the exhortations for boycott, you name it. Some parents want to sanitize the airwaves, rather than be responsible enough to control what their young children watch - they want the government and the tv stations to do what they are too lazy to do themselves.

B_HappyHammer1977

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by DC_DEEP@Oct 29 2005, 07:42 PM
Well, back to the original topic... I have heard complaints, seen the exhortations for boycott, you name it. Some parents want to sanitize the airwaves, rather than be responsible enough to control what their young children watch - they want the government and the tv stations to do what they are too lazy to do themselves.
[post=356540]Quoted post[/post]​

Hear hear&#33;

At the end of the day, they&#39;re just words. Not death or disturbing, just words.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree. The government should in no way be responsible to make the whole world G rated just so lazy parents won&#39;t have to watch their own kids&#33; Of course, these are the same fucktards who want every sperm who finds it&#39;s way up a fallopian tube to turn into a living person, but then don&#39;t want to be responsible for RAISING them once they&#39;re here. :mad:

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dig it there, MZ, the hypocrisy over creating life and assuming responsibility for it is enough to make a sober man drink.
And then the fuckbreaths panhandle the government for assistance in rearing them.