EasyJet to charge for baggage held in hold of plane

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Instead of highway robbery, we now have skyway robbery! :mad:
    This is preposterous.

EasyJet To Charge For Hold Baggage
    August 3, 2007

EasyJet announced on Friday a new baggage policy that will see passengers charged two pounds (USD$4.07) for every bag put in the plane's hold.

"This replaces the previous policy where the first hold bag was free but subsequent bags were charged at five pounds per item," easyJet said.

EasyJet will still allow carry-on bags up to 55 by 40 by 20 centimetres, without weight limit.

"Fewer checked-in bags can help to improve the operational performance of airports," said easyJet, whose passengers face increasing delays at London airports due to tighter security checks and overcrowding.

A spokesman declined to comment on the impact on revenue from the change, which takes effect on flights beginning on October 1.

Rival Ryanair on Tuesday reported that its quarterly ancillary revenues, which include baggage charges, jumped 53 percent to EUR117.1 million euros (USD$160.5 million).

(Reuters)

2. dong20

Gold Member

Ryanair have been doing that for months. I'm surprised it's taken Easyjet this long.

Go to Ryanair.com - The lowest fares guaranteed - cheap flights, fly cheaper and start to book a flight to Milan say from London Stanstead; you can pay 1p for the ticket, £15-20 in tax and £10 per checked bag. That's preposterous. I make a lot of day/short trips so carry on is enough.

Easyjet are a better airline to fly with, IMO.

3. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I shudder to contemplate the day when coin operated lavatories and airsick bag dispensers become commonplace.

4. dong20

Gold Member

Passengers will pee in the seat pockets. I'm sure some already do.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

Let's hope that stays across the pond. It's bad enough you have to beg for pretzels on a 4 hour flight these days. They used to serve meals; granted they tasted like cardboard but at least it was food. :mad:

6. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

EasyJet is an extremely cheap discount airline. You can fly from London to Amsterdam for 20 pounds. Considering the price of fuel lately, that's incredible! They've got to make money somewhere. $4 per bag seems extremely reasonable, too. Meanwhile on this side of the pond, United routinely charges $1000 a ticket for the privelege of flying with them anywhere. What's the big deal here?

7. dong20

Gold Member

I know, some people don't know a good deal when it kicks them in the ass. I do a lot of short trips, or even day trips within Europe so usually I don't need to even check a bag in.

The $1000 charged by United is probably to cover the cost of the pretzels. My prevailing recollection of domestic flights in the US is of a lesson in the art of providing the poorest, surliest service at the highest cost they can get away with. There were some notable exceptions though. Domestic flights in the UK aren't much better, but they tend to be shorter, which naturally helps.

The last time I flew was domestically was a couple of years back. America from ORD to JFK. The smiles were broader, but no less fixed >>> :smile:

8. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not to defend poor service, but I'd feel surly too if the management of my employer used a bankruptcy court ruse to slash my pension plan benefits by roughly 80%, as did the management of United Airlines.

Over at American Airlines, the company's directors awarded themselves millions of dollars in bonuses on the very same day they released a press statement stating that stringent market conditions required cuts in the salaries and benefits of its employee's unions.

Yah, surly's the word in the US airline industry.

9. No_Strings

Gold Member

Easyjet is a quick, cheap, "get you in get you out" type ariline from what I've experienced - and well worth the money. Considering many of the types of flight that easyjet offer, hand baggage is often enough for their customers.
    Most other flights include things like that in the cost anyway.

£50 ticket = A good deal.
    £45 ticket + £5 baggage = A problem?
    :rolleyes:

10. dong20

Gold Member

Not at all, I can understand the frustration. It's inevitable that some of that will spill over onto passengers.

Same old same old. The same things happen here too.

11. dong20

Gold Member

It's strange the things people find to complain about. They overlook that while BA doesn't charge for bags*, the ticket costs 50% more, at least. :rolleyes:

* Actually in some cases they do.

12. boyboy

boyboy Member

Spirit Airlines in the US charges you $10.00 for your first checked bag, $10.00 for the second one and $100.00 for the third one.

13. chico8

chico8 New Member

Please, please let them start charging for two seats for passengers whose girth truly needs them.

There's nothing worse than boarding one of easyjet's planes and being stuck next to some obese person.

I'm sure the fuel costs for such passengers must be enormous.

I'm all for making flights as efficient as possible and checked luggage is very inefficient and slows things up considerably.

14. dong20

Gold Member

I went off to check. In economy, BA allow 1 bag up to 23kg, free. If you have a second bag (even if the combined weight is 32kg (max allowable per bag) or less) is charged as follows:
    • Domestic - £30 (£21 if paid online)
    • Short Haul - £60 (£42 if paid online)
    • Longhaul - £120 (£84 if paid online). :eek:
    This caused a storm last year. I decided then, that unless I couldn't avoid it I would no longer fly BA. There were others, but that was the final straw.

15. dong20

Gold Member

I've never found that to be a problem, we haven't quite got to that point here, yet. You know easyjet is a UK airline right?

I doubt it makes much measurable difference (a few extra bags on the limit would have the same result). You could work it out, I can't be bothered.

Me too, I always try to avoid check in, it speeds things up a both ends.

16. chico8

chico8 New Member

I do believe I said I had flown with easyjet, and unless I'm mistaken, the UK is not far behind the US when it comes to obesity.

Admittedly, my seatmates probably haven't all been brits but I remember very well that fat old cow with a british accent who squished me into the window.

17. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

After living in Korea for a while, everyone here does look a lot fatter all of a sudden.

18. dong20

Gold Member

Yes, again, we're following the US' sterling example.

I read US 'obesity' rate is about 33%, UK about 17%. Merely 'overweight' is about 65% to 46%. It gets worse as age increases. We've a little way to go yet, I'd say, but given time I expect we'll get there.

Closer to the window, all the better to enjoy the view.

19. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

If the number of Burger Kings in Rotterdam is any indication, the Dutch should be fatter than us any day now. They're already taller. Those fuckers.

20. transformer_99

Gold Member

Let 'em charge, the hassle of airport security annoys me to the point where I refuse to travel by air. Come to think of it, traffic sucks too, another reason I won't drive for extended distances.

Draft saved Draft deleted