Eating Animals

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by conchis, Feb 23, 2010.

1. conchis

Gold Member

Albums:
    Who read the latest Jonathan Safran Foer book? What is your opinion regarding it, american friends of mine?

2. conchis

Gold Member

Albums:
    without any doubt, a site packed with readers! :)

3. B_curiousme01

B_curiousme01 New Member

Hi :) I eat animals and will buy the book to let you know what I think. I hope it isn't about "going to market" or something along those lines. :-(

4. B_Mister Buildington

I read it, it was alright but I guess my issue with it is that I'd honestly heard almost all of the arguments before (lots of vegan friends) and it comes off as preachy in the end, no matter how much he tries to avoid it.

5. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I love pigs, it's not my fault they taste so good.

We do eat too much meat imo, maybe a couple of times a week is better for us and the world. But I see no ethical reason for not eating meat. After all, I would eat you if I had to.

6. Pendlum

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  7. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

if there is a morality or immorality to eating animals, then it would, like other actions that may be deemed moral or immoral, have consequences and effects that would either justify or invalidate the action.

in the case of meat-eating, it turns out that those who eat meat by the age of early to mid-twenties are showing the tell-tale signs of degeneration -- distorted hormone levels and fat-clogged arteries and veins

the degeneration escalates so that meat eaters get sick more often, and live shorter, illness-plagued lives than vegetarians

in a very real sense, meat eaters are degenerate, and plagued by degenerative diseases

that's reason enough, but then there are the adverse environmental effects and consequences of the practice

there simply is no reason to justify or validate meat-eating

8. B_Mister Buildington

Eating meat brings us pleasure.

9. Viking_UK

Gold Member

As the saying goes, you don't live any longer if you're a vegetarian; it just feels like it.

What environmental consequences would there be if everyone turned veggie? For one thing, all those beef herds would have to go and I'm assuming you'd be cutting out milk, cheese and butter too, so the dairy herds would go the way of the dodo too. After all, we'd need the farmland to feed humans and there would be no economic justification for keeping them. Sheep might fare a little better because of their wool. The chickens and turkeys would all be slaughtered too, as would the pigs - unless you'd want to keep them for potential organ transplant donors. No? Oh, well...

We're omnivores, designed to eat animals and plants. One of the main problems with modern western diets is that we eat too much, too much red meat, too many carbs and way too much fat. On top of that most people don't get anywhere near enough exercise. That's why so many people have clogged arteries and heart problems, not because they eat meat.

As for the treatment of animals used in food production, most of them, at least in the UK, are treated well. I don't know anything about animal husbandry in other countries, but I assume you guys have similar legislation to us when it comes to how animals should be treated. Yes, you get sick bastards who enjoy causing pain and suffering to the animals, but they're in the minority and are usually found out. Personally, I think people like that should have their balls (assuming they're men) fed to them raw, but that's another matter entirely.

Animals which are being slaughtered should be dispatched as quickly and humanely as possible. It doesn't have to be cruel.

10. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Has it got directions fer how ta butcher a posstum? My kids need to lern how to butcher a posstum.

11. Big Irish

Big Irish Member

Look at the animal kingdom. Who eats meat lean, fast predators. Look at the herbivores large, lumbering prey. I think excercise has far more to do with your health, than whether you eat meat or not! Besides, if we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?

12. helgaleena

Gold Member

Albums:
    It is much better to eat meat that you have killed yourself. That way you know whether the animal was healthy.

I am not that good at it. We eat cheap food including chemical sprayed fruits and veggies and milk from over-medicated stressed cows. So our health is undermined. I know it.

13. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I eat meat, I'm an omnivore and my body was designed to eat a mixture of foods. It's a load of bollocks about it clogging your arteries, if you eat fatty meats, prepared meats with a high percentage of fat you might well get clogged arteries. Eat lean meat and you shouldn't have a problem. I like the taste of meat and I'm going to carry on eating it. Contrary to what Nick said the vegetarians I know tend to have poorer health than the meat eaters I know, and a few of the vegetarians I know have to take extra vitamins because of their diet.

My cholesterol level is 3.1 - low by anyone's standard.

14. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

".. The British Medical Association (BMA) was first to shed light on the many benefits of a vegetarian diet in a 1986 report. Based on a large volume of research, it concluded that vegetarians not only tend to have lower cholesterol, but also significantly reduced instances of coronary heart disease, obesity, high blood pressure, certain types of cancers, gall stones and large intestine disorders.

Another organization to weigh in on the matter of vegetarian and vegan diets was the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM). This group consists of some 5,000 U.S. doctors, including the editor for The American Journal of Cardiology, William Roberts. Criticized by some as biased for their humane ethics, the PCRM reviewed over 100 published studies from around the world. It confirmed that significantly lower disease rates are directly linked to vegetarian and vegan diets. In their 1995 report, the PCRM urged the U.S. government to update dietary policies to reflect these findings. In 1996, government policies addressed this for the first time, stating that a vegetarian diet is healthy, meets Recommended Daily Allowances, and does not lack protein.

About the same time as the previous studies were being conducted, The Oxford study was underway. Gathering data over a period that spanned an excess of 13 years and involved over 11,000 people, it not only confirmed lower rates of heart disease, diabetes, cancer and other diseases among vegetarians, but also found a 20% decrease in premature mortality rates. Simply put, if you eat a vegetarian or vegan diet, you have a 20% better chance of living longer than if you eat meat, according to the study. .."

Has it been Proven that a Vegetarian Diet is Really Healthier?

for the vain among you, meat-eating is also related to the development of that loose skin of the neck, previously thought to be associated with aging

15. Vestigial

Gold Member

Draft saved Draft deleted