Eddie Izzard

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Ethyl, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Any fans out there? Fell in love with him watching "Dress to Kill", saw him in concert two years ago, and also (sans dress) on "The Henry Rollins Show" last week.

"Cake or Death? Uh . . . cake, please."

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Yes, cake, please.

“If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.”

He's one of the funniest standups on the planet.

3. ftredhead

ftredhead New Member

Never heard of him till today. I did a search for him and found an interview (which I'm listening to now, He's DJing on some radio station) He sounds smart. I think British comedy is the BEST. At the very least I'm curious. Any suggestions on what to start with? Is he available on video? :smile: Have you seen the British (orginal) version of 'The Office'? Funny stuff! It was silly the Americans even tried to copy it.

4. fratpack

Gold Member

Albums:
    First saw him in college and have been a big fan ever since....his cable show here in the States did not give him enough room to shine.....he also appeared in a legit role on Broadway (I think it was "A Day in the Life of Joe Egg) and he was terrific.

5. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    "The Office" is hilarious! Yeah, some things are best left alone. Can you imagine a bunch of Americans singing "The Lumberjack song" from Monty Python and finding just as funny? Me neither.

You can get practically anything you want on DVD. I think the HBO special "Dress to Kill" is the best, although "Glorious" is not too far behind. There's "Circle", "Definite Article", and I think his latest tour "Sexie" is out on CD. Here's a link to his website:
    http://www.eddieizzard.com/home.izz

He's also a decent actor. You may have seen him in "Shadow of the Vampire", "The Cat's Meow", or "Mystery Men"

6. ftredhead

ftredhead New Member

Thank You M.B.

I found those titles at the rental place last night but it seems someone else had the same idea! Those Brits have a sturdy dialect indeed. To filch a quote from Stephen King "A Brit add man with a good education can make add copy for ribbed condoms sound like the Magna Carta" It's true. I think it's one of the same reasons they are sooo funny. Those Monte Python boys are amazing. John Cleese what else can be said? Thanks again.:smile:

7. dong20

Gold Member

So much modern comedy is just formulaic and forced....the office is a notable exception, Red Dwarf and the later Auf Wiedersehen pet series (esp the Cuba ones) are others. Right now there are some Pot Noodle commericals on that crack me up...I'll tape one to post if I can.

Eddie is a great standup, I also loved Dave Allen, he broke some new ground back in the '70s.

8. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    He's simply brilliant--pronounced with three syllables in the British fashion. He handles his need to cross-dress in an incredibly matter-of-fact way, whixh I admire.

9. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dong: Do you know if anything on Dave Allen is available on DVD?

Headbang: He IS brilliant with a mind like a sponge. And he seems to have a healthy attitude about his changing choices of dress. I must admit he does look good in fishnet stockings as well as jeans.

10. dong20

Gold Member

Certainly in the UK there 2 or 3, but I couldn't easily find anything US side other than ebay:

http://dvd.search.ebay.com/dave-allen_DVD_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ617

Amazon.co.uk could be your best bet if you can get a seller to ship to the US:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00069MNR8/203-6263635-7932747

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00097HUJ8/qid=1149451196/sr=1-1/br_lfbnb_d_h__1/203-6263635-7932747

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000F5S24Q/qid=1149451196/sr=1-2/br_lfbnb_d_h__2/203-6263635-7932747

It's all region 2 stuff so I guess you have a region free player. Best of luck, let me know if you need any help...:biggrin1:

11. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

12. B_horribleperson

B_horribleperson New Member

he is super fucking funny.

saw him the first time on hbo in a dress. saw another one with him in normal cloths.

13. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks, dong. I'll keep an eye out on those two.

14. Paper5tr3et7

Paper5tr3et7 New Member

Haha LOVE him definetly one of my fav. comics. Sad that a lot of people don't listen to him because they think he's gay (which he isn't). Sometimes you just need to wear a dress.:cool:

15. steve319

Gold Member

HILARIOUS! :biggrin1:

I don't think anyone has made me laugh that hard for such a sustained period during a routine.

He has brilliant material, but so much of his impact comes from the impeccable delivery.

16. Lordpendragon

Gold Member

17. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted