Editorial: Waiting For A Leader

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by KinkGuy
They sure are when you consider the fact that private jets, penthouse apartments, fat cat balls and private resort islands are "program expenses."
Program Expenses: This measure reflects what percent of its total budget a charity spends on the programs and services it exists to deliver. Dividing a charity's program expenses by its total functional expenses yields this percentage.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Actually, the Red Cross got in a bunch of trouble after 9/11 because they found out their CEOs and Presidents were flying first class, buying luxury cars and basically paying themselves much more than necessary. Just about everybody involved with that was fired/resigned, hence the confusion.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was a little astonished at how long it took W's handlers to realize George needed to cut short his vacation and start to posture and look presidential.

Rove and/or Cheney must have been asleep at the wheel.

SG

D_Barbi_Queue

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by DoubleMeatWhopper+Sep 1 2005, 11:08 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DoubleMeatWhopper &#064; Sep 1 2005, 11:08 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MisterMark@Sep 1 2005, 09:32 PM
Gay men and other "deviants" caused this hurricane, and New Orleans brought this upon themselves by allowing events like Mardi Gras and Southern Decadence to take place in their city.

If that were actually the case, wouldn&#39;t God have waited one more week for thousands of us degenerate homos to flock to New Orleans like moths to a flame for the Southern Decadence celebration? He could&#39;ve wiped a whole host of us out in one fell swoop if He would&#39;ve exercised greater patience.
[post=340008]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

The one time I visited NO was during a Decadence celebration. My husband got hit on as he was holding my hand and walking down Bourban Street. I loved it&#33; If it had been a girl though, I&#39;d have been pissed. That weekend was one of the best times in my life.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Sep 2 2005, 10:49 PM
I just hope the hatred all of you feel for the President is matched by your zeal to help donate money or some kind of effort on behalf of the citizens of New Orleans.

You sure have a funny way of calling people together to work for a common goal in the face of tragedy.

I can&#39;t speak for anyone else but I sure don&#39;t need cynical jibes from GOP apologists to remind me what my civic responsibilities are.

SG

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by SpeedoGuy@Sep 4 2005, 08:10 PM
I was a little astonished at how long it took W&#39;s handlers to realize George needed to cut short his vacation and start to posture and look presidential.
Rove and/or Cheney must have been asleep at the wheel.
SG
[post=340721]Quoted post[/post]​

He didn&#39;t pull off the whole "looking Presidential" thing quite so well this time. He mostly just looked bored.

They were on vacation too. How dare a category 5 hurricane interrupt their vacations&#33; Let &#39;em drown, we always take August off&#33;

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick+Sep 4 2005, 12:25 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Sep 4 2005, 12:25 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KinkGuy
NO, you may not have a refund.  Sheesh.

It takes BIG BUCKS to run that company, ah, I mean, charity.  50 cents out of every dollar, give or take a few hundred mil.

Try 91 cents. They&#39;re still one of the most cost-efficient charities around.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm/.../orgid/3277.htm
[post=340568]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
Of course the top brass of most any company or organization is tempted to overindulge on "retreats" and such. All non profit organizations have to fight that tendency.

Two points:

One, it isn&#39;t the Red Cross&#39;s fault they are not inside New Orleans. Our wonderful, blessed federal government has forbidden them to go in&#33; So they are housing people in shelters outside the city.

Churches in general, especially the mainline established churches have a better track record than other relief organizations in money given and money going to the victims. The Salvation Army is a church. Many don&#39;t know that. It has a better ratio than does the Red Cross. However, the Red Cross does have one of the best ratios of the relief agencies. In churches, the regular giving supports the organization so that 100 percent of the money given to special projects such as New Orleans goes to those projects. Most churches have special drives within the church for disater relief. In my church our regular giving pays the salaries and organizational budgets of our relief agency UMCOR. 100 percent of the money given directly to UMCOR goes directly to the victims.

The worst wasted money is the most well intentioned. Special concerts for the needy are raised by well intentioned people. Then once they get the money, they have no organization to disperse the funds and some gets wasted. Not on purpose, but lack or organization and ignorance in misdirecting some of the money.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Freddie53@Sep 5 2005, 01:13 AM
The Salvation Army is a church. Many don&#39;t know that. It has a better ratio than does the Red Cross.
[post=340783]Quoted post[/post]​

With a decidedly "anti gay" platform, even worse than the Red Cross. HOWEVER, the Salvation Army does amazing work, helping the lives of people in virtually every county in the country. EVEN knowing they hate me, I donate just because they spend next to nothing on "expenses."

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by KinkGuy+Sep 5 2005, 02:18 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KinkGuy &#064; Sep 5 2005, 02:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Freddie53@Sep 5 2005, 01:13 AM
The Salvation Army is a church. Many don&#39;t know that. It has a better ratio than does the Red Cross.

With a decidedly "anti gay" platform, even worse than the Red Cross. HOWEVER, the Salvation Army does amazing work, helping the lives of people in virtually every county in the country. EVEN knowing they hate me, I donate just because they spend next to nothing on "expenses."
[post=340784]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]
God, I hate to hear that (hates gays) about the Salvation Army. The Red Cross is getting all the attention, but the Salvation Army, according to CNN, had many more evacuees in shelters than the Red Cross did as of yesterday.

But I admire you, Kink, for overlooking their faults and looking to the greater need. That is what we all have to do. No relief agency run by humans is going to be perfect. Humans aren&#39;t going to do everything perfect according to all other humans.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by KinkGuy+Sep 5 2005, 07:18 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KinkGuy &#064; Sep 5 2005, 07:18 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Freddie53@Sep 5 2005, 01:13 AM

[post=340784]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

I too admire your stiff upper lip about it, Kink. Well done.

SG

B_RoysToy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Sep 2 2005, 01:47 AM
bush and his pals demonstrate yet again that they&#39;re an incestuous clan of blind, greedy morons? this is hardly news. :eyes:
[post=339981]Quoted post[/post]​
Just saw a great bumper sticker -- "M is for Moron" -- apropos and fucking good&#33;

Pye

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Axex@Sep 5 2005, 02:03 PM
Just wondering, when are we gonna start blaming other countries for not giving us the support we need? I mean..of course we can&#39;t be responsible for ourselves, right?
[post=340869]Quoted post[/post]​

I believe that there are at least 60 other countries that have offered support-- some were already helping before our oun country could jump in.

I don&#39;t know what they are doing now but I did hear Shrub say that "We can take care of ourselves"

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yes Pye, you heard that right. And does anyone know who was first on the scene in New Orleans? 4 days ahead of our Guard, Red Cross or military? The Royal Candadian Mounties. That&#39;s right, their teams of underwater, search and rescue personnel arrived in the Gulf Region.................................on Tuesday night.

Sabln7

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Sep 5 2005, 07:16 PM
morons are way ahead of you
[post=340873]Quoted post[/post]​

I enjoyed reading the short article. But, maybe the Bush didn&#39;t know that the levees were likely to break. He himself admits that he rarely reads the news and has not read many books. He may have just missed it.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Sabln7@Sep 6 2005, 07:19 AM
But, maybe the Bush didn&#39;t know that the levees were likely to break. He himself admits that he rarely reads the news and has not read many books. He may have just missed it.

Of course. Dubya is too concerned with his war in Iraq to be troubled with details about the country that he swore an oath to serve. Just because he&#39;s the president of the United States doesn&#39;t mean that he needs to educate himself about the dangers that threaten the American people on their home turf, right? I mean, he has pressing matters in other parts of the world. What right have we to question him? Remember: he has a mandate. He plans to give the American people what they want: gooder service.

curiouscat9

1st Like
Media
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Sep 6 2005, 09:50 AM
anyways, barbara bush doesn&#39;t understand what all the fuss is about
[post=341059]Quoted post[/post]​

Last week, Bush was talking about pulling out of Iraq. Too bad Barbara didn&#39;t have the same sentiment 60 some odd years ago with Sr. Except for that lapse of judgement and the fact that her age is showing in this article, I actually like Mrs. Bush.

Thanks for keeping us on our toes Dr. Rock.

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
You sure have a funny way of calling people together to work for a common goal in the face of tragedy.

I can&#39;t speak for anyone else but I sure don&#39;t need cynical jibes from GOP apologists to remind me what my civic responsibilities are.

SG

If I wanted to call people to try and work together in the face of tragedy, SG, I&#39;d have done so in plain language. I&#39;d assumed many members here had done something, each according to their own abilities and situations. However, at the time I made the post you refer to, the only thing I could read when signing on is how certain all of you were that Bush is solely responsible for the local, state, and federal response (or lack thereof) to the hurricane.

I&#39;m far from a GOP apologist in my everyday life, but I can see why I sound like one when aruguing with liberal apologists inside this forum.