Editorial: Waiting For A Leader

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Sep 6 2005, 02:18 PM
I'm far from a GOP apologist in my everyday life, but I can see why I sound like one when aruguing with liberal apologists inside this forum.
[post=341109]Quoted post[/post]​
Um, do you even know what an apologist is? Someone who gives the reasons why we shouldn't go into a long, drawn-out war isn't an apologist.

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by jonb+Sep 6 2005, 11:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonb &#064; Sep 6 2005, 11:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-brainzz_n_dong@Sep 6 2005, 02:18 PM
I&#39;m far from a GOP apologist in my everyday life, but I can see why I sound like one when aruguing with liberal apologists inside this forum.
[post=341109]Quoted post[/post]​
Um, do you even know what an apologist is? Someone who gives the reasons why we shouldn&#39;t go into a long, drawn-out war isn&#39;t an apologist.
[post=341113]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Um, I didn&#39;t realize I was directly or indirectly referencing the war in Iraq in that one sentence, jonb. Are you going to claim you were able to pull a "Being John Malkovich" on me? I did have a headache earlier, no wonder that extra-strength Tylenol didn&#39;t kill it.

I&#39;ve only been a member here for 7 months, and a walk through the "Et Cetera" forum shows it doesn&#39;t lack for subjects all over the spectrum, most all of them given a political nipple-twist whether they deserve it or not. The whole "we&#39;re right and you&#39;re totally wrong" concept is the featured attraction on display in this neck of the forum woods.

Maybe THAT was what I had running through my mind?

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I got word from the director of my office and from the interim chairperson I work for that the University of Kentucky wants to get involved in the relief effort. We&#39;re trying to pool whatever resources we&#39;ve got with other social service teams in Lexington to provide statewide bulk donations and temporary shelters. I was surprised to find an influx of college students originally from Tulane come up to UK because of the tuition and room and board waivers. This, of course, is done on a case-by-case basis, but students are starting to visibly show signs of destitution. Just &#39;cause they live up here doesn&#39;t mean their real homes are still standing.

The real cool thing is that there&#39;s a possibility for my colleagues and I to do some trauma and relief counseling -- not just basic need (food, water, electricity, contact information), but to help families who are struggling or fearful of what&#39;s going on. I can&#39;t imagine little kids are going to look at thunderstorms or flash flooding the same way, especially if they&#39;re at all glued to the TV. I&#39;d like to help them if I can.

Just some reminders, if any of these situations are applicable.
  • Don&#39;t take silence as an indicator that nothing&#39;s wrong. Be proactive. Give your children some room to talk about what&#39;s going on in New Orleans, what they think is going on, and what scares them.
  • Limit television exposure. If children are interested in the stories, it&#39;s easier for parents to preview Internet articles and newspaper print. Television exposure provides the necessary medium for more traumatic exposure.
  • Allow kids to get creative with their activities. Children deal with difficulties in various ways. Young children prefer play activities such as building and knocking down homes or burying play things in dirt or in sand and then rescuing them. Older children may want to write letters, contact people, collect food donations, or similar activities.

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by curiouscat9+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(curiouscat9)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dr Rock
anyways, barbara bush doesn&#39;t understand what all the fuss is about
Last week, Bush was talking about pulling out of Iraq. Too bad Barbara didn&#39;t have the same sentiment 60 some odd years ago with Sr. Except for that lapse of judgement and the fact that her age is showing in this article, I actually like Mrs. Bush.[/b][/quote]
She resembles a more masculine version of George Washington.

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by Dr. Dilznick+Sep 7 2005, 12:40 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dr. Dilznick &#064; Sep 7 2005, 12:40 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by curiouscat9@
<!--QuoteBegin-Dr Rock

Last week, Bush was talking about pulling out of Iraq. Too bad Barbara didn&#39;t have the same sentiment 60 some odd years ago with Sr. Except for that lapse of judgement and the fact that her age is showing in this article, I actually like Mrs. Bush.
She resembles a more masculine version of George Washington.
[post=341324]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

that there&#39;s funny&#33; :rofl:

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Sep 6 2005, 07:11 PM
Um, I didn&#39;t realize I was directly or indirectly referencing the war in Iraq in that one sentence, jonb. Are you going to claim you were able to pull a "Being John Malkovich" on me? I did have a headache earlier, no wonder that extra-strength Tylenol didn&#39;t kill it.
[post=341179]Quoted post[/post]​
Well, an apologist is someone who tries to excuse the indefensible. And I&#39;m sorry, but being not believing the "scandals" Scaife found in Arkansas which REALLY jumped the shark at points BTW, isn&#39;t being an apologist.

Freddie53

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Originally posted by Dr Rock@Sep 6 2005, 10:50 AM
[post=341059]Quoted post[/post]​
I just read her remarks. Now we know which parent little George is like. Hint: It isn&#39;t his father.

I like Barbara Bush but she doesn&#39;t have the intelligence of her husband.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by Freddie53+Sep 12 2005, 03:41 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Freddie53 &#064; Sep 12 2005, 03:41 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Dr Rock@Sep 6 2005, 10:50 AM
[post=341059]Quoted post[/post]​
I just read her remarks. Now we know which parent little George is like. Hint: It isn&#39;t his father.

I like Barbara Bush but she doesn&#39;t have the intelligence of her husband.
[post=342557]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, at least he was an intelligent soulless greedy warmonger, unlike his son who is a stupid one.

brainzz_n_dong

Just Browsing
Media
Originally posted by jonb+Sep 8 2005, 08:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jonb &#064; Sep 8 2005, 08:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-brainzz_n_dong@Sep 6 2005, 07:11 PM
Um, I didn&#39;t realize I was directly or indirectly referencing the war in Iraq in that one sentence, jonb.  Are you going to claim you were able to pull a "Being John Malkovich" on me?  I did have a headache earlier, no wonder that extra-strength Tylenol didn&#39;t kill it.   
[post=341179]Quoted post[/post]​
Well, an apologist is someone who tries to excuse the indefensible. And I&#39;m sorry, but being not believing the "scandals" Scaife found in Arkansas which REALLY jumped the shark at points BTW, isn&#39;t being an apologist.
[post=341434]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Neither one of us posts much that the other really sits up late to read, that much is a given. But that you seemingly want to argue the meaning of "apologist" is amusing...odd...but amusing. Ok, here goes:

A sampling of definitions available, and directly quoted, from the online sources affiliated with the names preceding the definition in bold print:

Merriam-Webster: Apologist - one who speaks or writes in defense of someone or something

Cambridge: Apologist - a person who supports a particular belief or political system, especially an unpopular one, and speaks or writes in defence of it

Dictionary.com: Apologist - A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution

jonb&#39;s definition: Apologist - Someone who tries to excuse the indefensible

Perhaps you favor either the merriam-webster or dictionary.com definitions when it applies to your causes or beliefs, and subscribe to the cambridge or jonb definitions when it applies to those that believe like I do on something? A version of pin-the-tail-on-the-dictionary??

And as far as bringing up Richard Scaife inside a thread that had absolutely nothing to do with Clinton, Arkansas, or even the 1990&#39;s (and a whole lot about Hurricane Katrina)...huh??

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Originally posted by brainzz_n_dong@Sep 13 2005, 10:28 PM

Merriam-Webster: Apologist - one who speaks or writes in defense of someone or something

Cambridge: Apologist - a person who supports a particular belief or political system, especially an unpopular one, and speaks or writes in defence of it

Dictionary.com: Apologist - A person who argues in defense or justification of something, such as a doctrine, policy, or institution

huh??
[post=342951]Quoted post[/post]​

I&#39;ve got Webster&#39;s II, it says:

Apologist- one who argues in defense of another person or cause.

Pretty much the same as above, and I must admit to being surprised. I have heard this word used erroneously a lot lately. I have always surmised that it was the same as the root word "apology" and would simply mean "one who apologises for something", but clearly that is not the case. Always good to learn something new.

That being the case, anyone who verbally supports any cause is an apologist, and it sounds weird for some reason, it seems to carry a negative connotation. Oh well, I&#39;ll get used to it, but I wonder how many people using the word or hearing it applied to them know it&#39;s true meaning? I would have taken it as an insult for someone to have called me an apologist had I not known.

KinkGuy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora@Sep 14 2005, 01:51 AM
Kink, that&#39;s almost as beautiful as your ass crack.
[post=343075]Quoted post[/post]​

My hairy ass crack is all yours, any time you want it. :hi:

Shelby

Experimental Member
Media
Originally posted by madame_zora+Sep 14 2005, 04:54 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(madame_zora &#064; Sep 14 2005, 04:54 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Shelby@Sep 14 2005, 03:18 PM
Sorry if this has already been posted somewhere. I thought you might like...
[post=343168]Quoted post[/post]​

Only in your icon, silly&#33;
[post=343298]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Yeah. duh me. Actually I put up the post first then later decided to use it as my avatar before someone else beat me to it. :headbang: