Education.

Doranq

Legendary Member
Media
How important is formal education to you in a relationship? Is it an absolute must? Is there a bar you must meet?

Does the man have to be well-versed in a myriad of topics or can he be knowledgeable about fewer topics?

Does openness/ability to learn count for anything or otherwise compensate for lack of education?

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Formal education isn't too important to me. I respect education, and strive to keep learning constantly, but... I barely graduated from high school. Didn't get into college.

For me, as long as my partner has a healthy thirst for knowledge and isn't a willfully ignorant fuckwit I'm happy.

Having said that, my guy does have more formal education under his belt than I do. He's traveled much more than I have too. His large brain is sexy as fuck.

D

deleted924715

I'm a graduate and I do admire a thirst for knowledge and someone who is open to learning new things and I do find intelligence attractive. BUT it doesn't need to be formal education. I know complete morons who have graduated from university.

My ex had mild aspergers and had a special interest in history - could talk about it in depth for hours and not even approach running out of subject matter. I liked his passion to keep learning about what interested him. That said, he was a graduate too.

Holly Doors

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I would have said that I don't care however, my hubby is very well educated and at the top of his game, as a result our family enjoys an extremely comfortable lifestyle. It means I don't have to work so can spend time with family and friends, I know what it's like to have nothing and I'm extremely grateful for the lifestyle my husband provides us.
So from that point of view it has made a difference to my life.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As long as he can hold a conversation on many topics I really could care less what kind of degree he has. I dated an actuary once. My wide of the conversation consisted of two words "uh huh." I didn't really understand anything he was talking about, and unfortunately, that's all he could talk about. I tried to change the topic of conversation, but it always returned to the primary topic pretty quickly.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
As long as he can hold a conversation on many topics I really could care less what kind of degree he has. I dated an actuary once. My wide of the conversation consisted of two words "uh huh." I didn't really understand anything he was talking about, and unfortunately, that's all he could talk about. I tried to change the topic of conversation, but it always returned to the primary topic pretty quickly.
An actuary. My brain bleeds for you.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
An actuary. My brain bleeds for you.

When I tell my friends that story they picture a skinny geek with glasses, but this guy was so cast against type. And that's kind of what surprised me.

I learned later that he has problems communicating with women. That much was true. But he didn't have a problem talking to women. Two different things there.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
When I tell my friends that story they picture a skinny geek with glasses, but this guy was so cast against type. And that's kind of what surprised me.

I learned later that he has problems communicating with women. That much was true. But he didn't have a problem talking to women. Two different things there.

Communication versus talking at!

One of the smartest people I know didn't graduate HS so formal education isn't a big deal to me. I've dated men with advanced degrees and those with nothing beyond HS. That said, I can't deal with a dummy or someone who can't provide for himself, and formal education can open doors to opportunities.

In describing an ideal partner in my dating profile I had something like "you should be educated: either in the traditional sense or maybe just the school of life... "

Reactions: BetterFuture

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don’t know. I used to think it didn’t matter, but the older I get, the more I think it might. My education and career are so specific that it’s difficult sometimes to engage with people who don’t speak the same language. It can get exhausting. On the other hand, maybe someone completely different would be good, but he would really have to be intelligent, liberal, open-minded and into growth and learning.

Reactions: rtg

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
That’s a tough question... I’ve never dated anyone with a degree. They’ve all had trades or something. From my experience, and I know not all are like this tho, those guys have been threatened or intimidated by my careee success and education. It wasn’t necessary, I didn’t rub it in their face but I’ve always placed a lot of importance at succeeding in my career. None of them understood and would tell me I don’t work hard because I “sit down all day”.

Because of that, I think I would like to date someone with a degree or an office job just because they may have similar career goals and know that you can work very hard by using your brain. I don’t need to be put down just because I’m successful, I’ve worked very hard to get to where I am.

In terms of general knowledge and what not, that’s something I’m lacking in and I don’t think that having a degree really has much to do with a persons life skills, knowledge or overall intelligence.

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don’t know. I used to think it didn’t matter, but the older I get, the more I think it might. My education and career are so specific that it’s difficult sometimes to engage with people who don’t speak the same language. It can get exhausting. On the other hand, maybe someone completely different would be good, but he would really have to be intelligent, liberal, open-minded and into growth and learning.
This applies to me also

Reactions: LaFemme

I have college education and have earned various certifications. My sweetie has zero college education and a large amount of certifications. College is great and all, but doesn't mean much to me if the person has little grasp on reality, common sense, and is generally somewhat savvy. I've known some incredibly intelligent people who may not have even completed high school and I've known some morons who held multiple degrees.

I don't have a requirement or even preference for partners to have higher education. They do need to be able to keep up with me in general. Well rounded is preferred, as far as a basic grasp on things. If someone really nerds out/is especially proficient at a few things, great. If they're a jack of all trades, great.

Being open to learning, learning from life as they live, etc. means quite a lot. I won't be with someone who is flat out dumb and/or close minded. To me, being intelligent doesn't have to be just through college.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

C41ara

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Maybe the wrong word is "formal", but a real education, intelligence are sooo important. For conversations, because we have to be able to talk almost about everything, and i think we need to share same values.