Edwards was right - there ARE two Americas!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by visualalert, Apr 9, 2008.

1. visualalert

visualalert New Member

And here's a slice of the America with unbelievably grand houses and fatcat political donations - you know, the "bad" America you're not welcome in, the one populated exclusively by evil Republicans. Well, not exactly:

Obama Visits Billionaires Row

This looks remarkably like the America that we're going to banish from politics via "change we can believe in." Sure we are. Just keep saying it over and over again.

Oh, and for Edwards fans, here's an old piece on his personal slice of that other "bad" America. Sorry, you're not welcome in his America either unless you want to wash one of his SUVs, do some landscaping or clean his toilets:

Edwards Home County's Largest

2. TinyPrincess

Gold Member

Albums:
    So what you want is a precidential candidate with no money?

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I hate to interject reality into your bubble of cynicism, but wealthy people are also citizens of this nation represented by the publicly elected officials of our government.

The fact that Obama attended fundraisers held by rich people in the Bay Area doesn't mean anything more than that.

What would you expect a candidate who touts a message of unity as a central message of his campaign to do? Draw a dividing line in the sand and claim that he in no way represents or associates with people on the "other" side of it because of how much they're worth? Perpetuate an "us versus them" mentality?

That's just stupid.

4. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Know the street... the view is indeed tremendous. Thought the street behind it is better ;-)

It's funny as I recall many Dems lambasting Bush's coffer in 2000... yet this time around there's this race of $$$ between Hillary and Obama.... and even pride in the mainstream media that Democratic donors = public approvals.

Funny dude put in the block addresses of the $B Club on that site...

5. JustAsking

Gold Member

Except a huge part of Obama's $$$ are from a large amount of very small donors over the Internet. This is how he is able to sustain it because most of the donors are $50 - $100 people who have not reached their donating limit, personally or legally.

Its not outragreous to equate that with grass roots support.

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Looks like John Edwards is living the American dream. I think he came from poor family didn't he? Went to university and made a pot of money as a lawyer. Aren't you taught that in America anyone can achieve what they want through hard work? Just because he now has money doesn't prevent him from understanding and wanting to do sometime about poverty.

He could be a hypocrite, but living in a big house doesn't mean he is one!

btw- I do not support him for president or VP.

7. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Of course there are two Americas: North and South.

8. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    Missing my point... regardless whom it comes from ... there's hypocrisy that the presidency shouldn't be about whom raises the most money (I heard it ad naseum in 2000). Now that the tables have turned, it's about vilification and ground swell rhetoric over Obama.

On another note:... innarestin' 2008 Presidential Election

9. faceking

faceking Active Member

Albums:
    More interesting...

Law firm donations to candidates...

$14M to Clinton
    $13M to Obama
    $3.5M to McCain

I'm sure there's some libtard spin on that... about the ACLU and blah blah.... law firms should be forbidden to donate, as should investment banks.

10. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    These categorizations are asinine. Law firms, like any other incorporated entity, may give no more than any other individual: $2300.

Those big aggregate numbers come from the fact that they're tallying up the individual contributions of people employed (in any capacity) by law firms. That lumps in donations from senior partners along with mailroom jockeys.

I know of hundreds of people in my company who have donated to Obama's campaign...that doesn't mean "Big IT" has itself contributed millions to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted