Effective Campaign Calls

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jack99821, May 25, 2007.

1. jack99821

jack99821 Member

Albums:
    It's nearly time for me to lose what's left of my free time to campaigning. For some reason it feels like I just did this less than a year ago... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm curious what you guys think about the actual calls you receive regarding elections. I know some can be incredibly annoying (when they launch into a canned speech without letting you speak), and I've also known some people who were very persuasive without being in your face too much.

I've been reading various political threads here and you guys' opinions are pretty solid. Do you hate campaign calls in general, or just some of them? Do you prefer to listen to a script, or ask questions and actually have a conversation with the caller? Is call 'customization' based on the voter's region (i.e. focus on relevant issues) a good idea or hit and miss (people sometimes feel it's condescending)? Are there any calls you've received that stand out in your mind?

Parties are irrelevant here, I'm just trying to get a feel for a group I haven't talked to before (people who are actually open and accepting... what a concept). Any thoughts are appreciated! :smile:

2. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

I pay no attention to them at all. There isn't a single issue in the public realm which can be adequately treated in a single phone conversation, even if both parties are up to the job.

The calls which just remind me that there's an imminent election are thoughtful, though superfluous.

3. jack99821

jack99821 Member

Albums:
    You're right of course. What I try to do is pique their interests and lead them to websites, let them know when the next debate is, etc. Obviously there's no way to cover a topic completely, but even if the information never goes any higher than me I like to let the person voice their opinions/concerns.

I think "Vote for Candidate X! Because he said so!" doesn't really work too well, so it's good to be very subtle about your candidate and make it more like a conversation with occasional references to Candidate X, so when they hang up they don't feel they've been told what to do, even though that's the idea behind the call.

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I do not like "cold calls" of any kind. By cold calls, I mean calls from someone I don't know/have never met/never had any business with, for the sole purpose of "enlightening" me. Campaign, sales, polls, it doesn't matter. My phone is for my own personal convenience, and not the convenience of any other person.

The flip side is, I'm in that much lower percentage of the population that actually researches candidates on my own, so I'm probably as well-informed, if not more, than the guys making the calls.

5. canuck_pa

Gold Member

I don't like getting calls asking me who I plan to vote for. My usual response is "none of your business but if you or anyone from your candidate calls again, it definately won't be their candidate".

But most of all I hate getting calls that are pre-recorded messages from a candidate.

The only calls I find acceptable are calls asking if I have any concerns or questions regarding a political parties position.

6. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I agree with this 110%!! I was going to say something similar, but you say it better than I do. :tongue:

7. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Campaign calls should be restricted to text messages of 5 words or less.

8. taven

taven Member

I refuse to listen to any political (or any other cold call for that matter) call whether it is by a person or by a computer. When I'm being nice I just hang up. When I'm not, my use of vulgar language is quite unpleasant.

9. jack99821

jack99821 Member

Albums:
    Hmm, I'm sensing hostility. However, note that calls that ask who you want to vote for are poorly handled and anything but the ideal direction for a campaign call. I don't even mention the candidate unless the person engages in conversation. I hate canned scripts and never use them, even when they're supplied. The idea is to stimulate their minds politically. If they end up backing my candidate, that's just a plus. I just hate to see people who don't vote because they don't know enough about the candidates or the process in general.

Draft saved Draft deleted