Egg Donors More Valued Than Sperm Donors

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Egg Donors vs. Sperm Donors: Who Is Valued More and Why?
    By Paul Raeburn, Huffington Post. Posted June 12, 2007.

Does the market for sperm donors and egg donors tell us something about stereotypes of mothers and fathers?

More stories by Paul Raeburn

Does the market for sperm donors and egg donors tell us something about stereotypes of mothers and fathers? Rene Almeling, a Ph.D.-candidate sociologist at UCLA, thinks it does.

In a survey of staff members at sperm banks and egg donation agencies, this is what she found:

Egg donation is a tricky process. Donors restrict sexual activity for six weeks. They are given a course of hormone therapy, and they finally undergo outpatient surgery, during which eggs are harvested. For that, they are paid as much as $5,000 or more in large cities, no matter whether the egg leads to a pregnancy or not.

Egg donors are also valued, even cherished. Women are prepared for the emotional consequences of donating their genes and are repeatedly thanked for "giving the gift of life." Almeling says agencies often encourage couples to send thank-you cards, small gifts or even cash bonuses to egg donors.

The same is not true of sperm donors. The attitude, as one recruitment ad put it, is that sperm donors "get paid for what you already do." Men are given far less preparation to help them understand what it means to donate their genes, and they are rarely acknowledged by the couples they help, Almeling found. Her findings appear in the June issue of American Sociological Review.

This disparity might not be too surprising; women donors undergo surgery, and men don't. Men are paid $50 to $75 per donation. But here's the surprise: Almeling found an oversupply of egg donors, and so few sperm donors that sperm banks routinely pay finders' fees to attract donors.

A further problem for sperm donors is that they are paid only when their samples meet a very high fertility standard. Only a small percentage of men are fertile enough to qualify, and even those often give samples that do not quality -- and they don't get paid.

Sperm donors, like egg donors, also must restrict their sexual activity to certain allowed days, and they often sign year-long contracts. So the impact of donation on their sex lives is greater than the impact of donation on women's sex lives.

Almeling thinks the higher prices paid for egg donation partly reflect a social bias that values motherhood more than fatherhood. "It is not just reproductive material but visions of middle-class, American femininity and masculinity and motherhood and fatherhood that are marketed and purchased," she says.

The donor selection process, Almeling says, reflects the stereotype that mothers are selfless and fathers are distant. Women who said they had a financial motive in donating were often rejected in favor of those with more altruistic motives. Sperm banks were far less clear about the need for altruism.

It seems clear from Almeling's survey that two things are responsible for the difference in fees paid to sperm donors and egg donors: the comparative difficulty of extracting the sperm or egg, and some interesting and unfortunate gender stereotyping. But it's hard to know how much each of those contributes to the economic disparity.

At the very least, Almeling has shown us that there is more to the gene-donation market than supply and demand.

Maybe a thank-you card to a sperm donor wouldn't be a bad idea.

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Well this is obvious. Women go through menopause earlier and have a medical procedure to donate eggs... how many would do that? Jerking off into a cup is far too easy.

3. Principessa

Gold Member

Sperm Donors Valued Less Than Egg Donors

ScienceDaily (May 26, 2007) — When Sociologist Rene Almeling decided to look into the operations of U.S. sperm banks and egg agencies, the UCLA Ph.D. candidate in sociology thought she knew what she would find.

She figured that any discrepancies in compensation rates for the building blocks of assisted reproduction could be explained by either market forces or the biological differences between female egg donors, who must undergo hormone therapy and outpatient surgery, and their male counterparts, who, as one recruitment ad put it, “get paid to do what you already do.”

Instead, Almeling, whose findings appear in the June issue of the American Sociological Review, uncovered a topsy-turvy market that often defies not just conventional wisdom but also the basic law of supply and demand.

“Men donors are paid less for a much longer time commitment and a great deal of personal inconvenience,” she said. “They also are much less prepared for the emotional consequences of serving as a donor of reproductive material. Women, meanwhile, are not only paid more for a much shorter time commitment, they are repeatedly thanked for ‘giving the gift of life.’

“From compensation rates to the smallest details of donor relations, sperm donors are less valued than egg donors,” Almeling said. “Egg donors are treated like gold, while sperm donors are perceived as a dime a dozen.”
    *SNIP*
    “While most egg donors will never meet their genetic children, women are expected to reproduce well-worn patters of ‘naturally’ caring, helpful femininity, guiltily hiding any interest that they might have in the promise of thousands of dollars,” Almeling said. “This ruse is not demanded of sperm donors. Men, who are more likely to be contacted through the banks’ identity release programs, often do not even consider that children will result from regular deposits at the sperm bank.”

In fact, one sperm donor was dumbstruck when he was informed that one of his contributions had resulted in conception.

“I hadn’t really thought about the fact there were going to be pregnancies,” he said. <--- I think that last statement explains why men are paid less. :rolleyes::tongue::confused:

I don't see it as a big deal that men are paid less than women for their donation. :cool: When a woman donates her eggs it is a major medical procedure. Which sometimes requires months of prescription medications which may or may not be covered by insurance.

When a man donates sperm he takes 15 minutes out of his day to jerk-off into plastic cup. In addition men can make sperm until the day they die. Women are only allotted a certain amount of eggs in our lifetime. It makes sense to generously compensate us for egg donation.

There is simply put, no comparison.

4. whatireallywant

Gold Member

This is what I was thinking too... that and that it is a surgical procedure for egg donors but not for sperm donors.

I do agree with the idea of thank-you cards for sperm donors as well as egg donors, though.

5. Drifterwood

Gold Member

She also makes the point that fathers are less valued. I agree with her.

Now they/we realise that there may be legal obligations to potential offspring, men have almost entirely stopped donating sperm in the UK.

Maybe supply and demand will kick in, despite the discrepancy in harvesting.

6. simcha

Gold Member

Yeah, ain't it great that a woman who chooses to inseminate herself with an anonymous donor's sperm could find out who donated that sperm and sue for child support? Ain't it a wonderful world for men and fathers?

Yeah, fathers and men are under attack. Make no mistake. I would never give my genetic material because you just never know what nut job would take my genetic material and sue me for child support, and not allow me to ever have any contact with my offspring.

Oh, the "mothers to be" certainly want the money that comes from court ordered child support payments, but they don't have any interest in sharing custody or allowing the father to be involved at all. That's bigotry, and it should end.

7. Principessa

Gold Member

That's ludicrous! I completely disagree with the idiot women who decide 3, 8, or 15 years down the road that the donor father is responsible for child support, college education, etc. There is always a contract signed and it should not be up for debate. IMHO, the only time a donor father should be contacted is for health reasons. Say the kid needs a kidney or they find out that he has a rare disease. I would want to know who else if anyone in his family had it. The agency or lawyers should do the contacting NOT that mother of said sick child. I also don't think the donor dad should be pressured into giving up an organ or whatever.

8. Ed69

Gold Member

I don't have a problem with getting paid less than a woman.But I'm not jerking off in a cup.You want my seed,get those panties down hike the skirt and spread those cheeks!In a donor situation I don't need a blowjob but please wear a skirt!

I've been asked a few times,but no I won't jerk in a cup for you.If you want it,it comes fresh from the tap or not at all.Even if you don't value me,I do.And I'll still ask for my 50$ so I can buy some beer after nutting in you're cunt!LOL!!!!!!!!!

Please laugh I'm not that much of a redneck!I just can't imagine giving my seed to anyone other than my wife.

9. seahorses

seahorses Member

It&#8217;s surprising what topics stimulate the mind and the thought processes that ensue. At first it occurred to me that woman have limited resources where men are productive till the day they die. Also sperm doesn&#8217;t really do much for research where as eggs are in great demand. This tips the balance towards women.

However, following this theme set me thinking about a recent item on TV regarding genetics. It was claimed that we don&#8217;t just inherit physical feature, but also the way we develop mentally is a genetic process. People, say, born to a long line of politicians will develop strong political views and are likely to end up in politics in some form or another. This has happened with families like the Kennedy&#8217;s in the States and the Churchill&#8217;s in the UK, for example. The same applies to religious fanatics who are most likely to come from a dynasty holding deep religious beliefs.

Armed with this startling revelation I began wondering what benefit it might be to mankind in terms of genetic engineering? I don&#8217;t mean by injecting embryos and ending up with people like Dolly the sheep. Hitler had a dream of creating the pure Aryan race, simply by encouraging people with compatible features to get it together. Something of this nature could be done with eggs and sperm incubated in the right environment. Is it possible that an egg from a devout atheist combined with the sperm or a religious fanatic would produce an agnostic? Could the same apply to a political and non-political pairing? Could we put an end to world poverty and war this way, simply by fucking someone with the right genetic make up? Imagine? You could even have a domestic dispute while making love. Wow steady now, this has gone far enough; I&#8217;m beginning to think I shouldn&#8217;t have got shot of my first wife!

10. dolfette

Gold Member

if all i had to do was wank, i'd donate a few million sperm every week.

but to donate just a few eggs i must restrict my sex life, risk my health, go through a procedure.

donating a kidney is seen as more heroic than donating blood. that must mean that society undervalues blood donors? or does it perhaps mean that donating a kidney is a risk and has life long consequenses. blood regrows within weeks but a kidney is gone forever.

the issues of the stupid bitches who sue donors is a different issue entirely.

11. seahorses

seahorses Member

You make it sound too easy, but do you realise how difficult it is to point a pulsing penis at one of those small sterile vial&#8217;s (you can&#8217;t just use a bucket you know)? Very messy if you're not careful. Better still, if your not as flexible as me, you can get someone to give you a blow job and they can even walk it down for you, save you getting up.

12. transformer_99

Gold Member

I'm against this, just skip this foolishness and adopt a child. If a couple can't have/make their own, it's a good indication that God doesn't want them to have children with each other.

13. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    I want to sell my seed, how much you think it would go for?

14. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm dismayed with the notion that God singles out certain couples or individuals for infertility but I do believe adoption is a fine option that deserves more attention and support.

15. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Skull, try eBay and see!

eBay.com

16. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I bet a lot of single women would be willing to pay a decent dollar for your sperm, without going through a sperm donation center.

17. Skull Mason

Gold Member

Albums:
    This could be a great business. I'll start a website or something. It is probably illegal though.

18. transformer_99

Gold Member

Hey, I liken it to the fact that certain blood types aren't compatible either. Inbreeding is another one. When a child is born and looks like someone beat it's face with a shovel, that's a good sign those two shouldn't have procreated. Another, human beings aren't intended to be born with flippers or attached to another human being.

19. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Well, yeah, I'd check into it a bit if I were you. Don't go crazy, yet! lol.

20. Principessa

Gold Member

For clarifications sake, when you are a sperm donor you don't get to have sex with the woman who wants your baby batter. :tongue:

Draft saved Draft deleted