eggcorns

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
Often AWF-in or AHF-in. Do not pronounce the t.

Before I give you my two cents on the t in often, let’s take a look at what various authorities have said about it since the late 18th century.
John Walker (1791), whose Critical Pronouncing Dictionary was one of the most respected and popular references both in England and America well into the 19th century, declared that “in often and soften the t is silent.”
“The sounding of the t,” proclaims the legendary H.W. Fowler in Modern English Usage (1926), “which as the OED says is ‘not recognized by the dictionaries,’ is practised by two oddly consorted classes—the academic speakers who affect a more precise enunciation than their neighbours…& the uneasy half-literates who like to prove that they can spell….”
“The t in glisten is silent, even as it is in castle and often,” says Frank H. Vizetelly (1929), editor of Funk & Wagnalls New Standard (1913), “yet one occasionally hears pedants and provincials pronounce them [GLIS-ten] and [AWF-ten]. No pronouncing dictionary with a reputation to lose ever sounds the t in these words.”
“You don’t want a t in here any more than in soften,” advises Alfred H. Holt (1937).
Webster 2 (1934), which sanctions only AWF-in, notes that “the pronunciation [AWF-tin], until recently generally considered as more or less illiterate, is not uncommon among the educated in some sections, and is often used in singing.”

- from Do you Speak American?
Interesting, I will occasionally pronounce (sometimes clearly, sometimes softly but audibly) the 't' in often and feel I am pronouncing poorly when I roll over it as in soften. It's not just me that does it and I don't always do it. I think it depends on the words that surround it to subconciously change the tempo or tonal patterns of speech. I'll try and recall when I do it and when I don't and report back.

It may be a regional thing and it's erratic but I have heard it so used by people of varying educational levels and regional origins. The reference pronouncing it when singing is interesting and quite correct. It's a strange word in that regard.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dong20 said:
Interesting, I will sometimes pronounce the 't' in often and feel I am pronouncing poorly when I roll over it as in soften. It's not just me that does it and I don't always do it. I think it depends on the words that surround it to subconciously change the tempo or tonal patterns of speech. I'll try and recall when I do it and when I don't and report back.

It may be a regional thing and it's erratic but I have heard it so used by people of varying educational levels and regional origins. The reference pronouncing it when singing is interesting and quite correct. It's a strange word in that regard.

I've seen that "t" increasingly used in American pronunciation where I nearly never heard it growing up.

Invariably the person using the "t" is trying to appear more educated in my experience. It's identical in "feel" to the misuse of "hopefully.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
I believe that's what I wrote. It's identical to how you've phonetically spelled it.

Do you pronounce "forecastle" differently than I do?
The 'general' pronunciation of forecastle
(also spelled fo'c's'le) as 'fəʊksəl has been in use for well over a Century though I believe it can also be legitimately pronounced fôr[FONT=&quot]'kas'el (as near as I can get as I can't get phoentics to display sorry)
[/FONT]
I don't pronounce it that way and I have never to my recollection heard anyone else do so.

Many nautical words have unexpected pronunciations : bowline, gunwale, mainsail, and topgallant to name a few. :smile:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dong20 said:
Many nautical words have unexpected pronunciations : bowline, gunwale, mainsail, and topgallant to name a few. :smile:
The use of the spelling "fo'c'sle" is as standard as spelling "ratio" as "raysheo" - it's a phonetic.

Stronzo, the pronunciation I've most offin' heard is something closer to "FAWK-sel." But that's not really the exact sound, either. I can't really type it.

The odd pronunciation of so many nautical terms is tradition, and nothing more. As similar words evolved aurally over the centuries, the strong sense of tradition in the maritime kept the older (more Elizabethan) pronunciations.

And Stronzo, although I'm certain that "vittles" and "critters" make you cringe, those are also holdovers from Elizabethan English - for "victuals" and
"creatures."

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DC_DEEP said:
The use of the spelling "fo'c'sle" is as standard as spelling "ratio" as "raysheo" - it's a phonetic.

Stronzo, the pronunciation I've most offin' heard is something closer to "FAWK-sel." But that's not really the exact sound, either. I can't really type it.

The odd pronunciation of so many nautical terms is tradition, and nothing more. As similar words evolved aurally over the centuries, the strong sense of tradition in the maritime kept the older (more Elizabethan) pronunciations.

And Stronzo, although I'm certain that "vittles" and "critters" make you cringe, those are also holdovers from Elizabethan English - for "victuals" and
"creatures."

This is in question to me. See here for one reference. Perhaps our English members can enlighten us.

If so they've not survived ('critters' and 'vittles') in that form here in New England. I was always told they were bastardizations from misuse in the southern United States much like some people in the south use "sassy" for the proper "saucy".

I was called "saucy" by the previous generation often (silent "t") growing up. Never heard "sassy" until I was grown.

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
If so they've not survived ('critters' and 'vittles') in that form here in New England. I was always told they were bastardizations from misuse in the southern United States much like some people in the south use "sassy" for the proper "saucy".

Actually, words like victuals "vittles", are not misuses here in the South, Mr. Yankee-Diction-Police, but are actually remnants of early Colonial English that survives to this day in Appalchian dialect. There have been many studies done of the people who live in the rural mountain areas of WV, NC, TN, KY and found that their dialect is a direct descendant of 17th century English as spoken in Britain by the people who had come to the colonies and settled in those regions. Because they were so isolated in those rural areas, their language was slow to change, unlike people who were living in the cities of the Thirteen colonies and later the United States. Many of the mountain people didn't have access to all the education, recordings, radio, etc. in later years, so whereas our language continued (and continues) to deveop, the dialect was stagnant.

This is even true with the music. Bluegrass music is heavily influenced by early British and Celtic (many of the settlers were Scots-Irish) melodies and modes. Many of the mountain hymns are holdovers from early tunes influenced from this music, too.

There is a lot of culture hidden up in "them thar hills..." One must know the story behind the story before the culture is judged, however. I'm so sick and tired of Southern culture being judged for being less than by Yankees. They come down here and judge how we talk, what we eat, how we live, but they flock down here like the swalows flying to Capistrano, so it must not be too bad, even if we have wierd expressions (like y'all) and strange Elizabethan ways of pronouncing words. I use them often. (usually with a soft T--a glottal stop, if you will)

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Gillette said:
Anyone care to explain varmints ?
An alternate slang/dialect form of vermin, first recorded in print in 1539. Lost over time from British English, but retained in some renditions of American English; first recorded in print being applied to pesky people (rather than simply animals) in 1773. :rolleyes:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
prepstudinsc said:
Actually, words like victuals "vittles", are not misuses here in the South, Mr. Yankee-Diction-Police, but are actually remnants of early Colonial English that survives to this day in Appalchian dialect. There have been many studies done of the people who live in the rural mountain areas of WV, NC, TN, KY and found that their dialect is a direct descendant of 17th century English as spoken in Britain by the people who had come to the colonies and settled in those regions. Because they were so isolated in those rural areas, their language was slow to change, unlike people who were living in the cities of the Thirteen colonies and later the United States. Many of the mountain people didn't have access to all the education, recordings, radio, etc. in later years, so whereas our language continued (and continues) to deveop, the dialect was stagnant.
I've mentioned this before, Monty, but was "corrected." And don't forget the Ozark region, too. Same origins, but the French influence during the exploration of the Mississippi River added its own charm. We also cannot dismiss the strong Irish influence in Boston over the years, despite attempts to prevent it.
This is even true with the music. Bluegrass music is heavily influenced by early British and Celtic (many of the settlers were Scots-Irish) melodies and modes. Many of the mountain hymns are holdovers from early tunes influenced from this music, too.
I used to teach a whole unit on American Folk Music when I was teaching in the public schools. Most people do not realize that so much of the music they make fun of, is centuries-old tradition directly from England.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
prepstudinsc said:
Actually, words like victuals "vittles", are not misuses here in the South, Mr. Yankee-Diction-Police, but are actually remnants of early Colonial English that survives to this day in Appalchian dialect.

Well Mr. I-have- and-ax-to-grind-with-Stronzo :rolleyes: .. I'm only giving you the benefit of my experience. And several websites I've pulled up which support the contention. Here's one. Glossary of quaint southerisms.

There have been many studies done of the people who live in the rural mountain areas of WV, NC, TN, KY and found that their dialect is a direct descendant of 17th century English as spoken in Britain by the people who had come to the colonies and settled in those regions. Because they were so isolated in those rural areas, their language was slow to change, unlike people who were living in the cities of the Thirteen colonies and later the United States. Many of the mountain people didn't have access to all the education, recordings, radio, etc. in later years, so whereas our language continued (and continues) to deveop, the dialect was stagnant.

Monty I did much of my graduate work in this language of ours and its etymology. I know about the archaic bits and pieces of earlier forms of this language which remain in rural pockets of our population. You needn't instruct me.

The same is often said of the Québecois in relation to their present-day French counterparts.

NO! Not really!! You mean they didn't just sit there screwing their cousins and composing??:eek: :rolleyes:

There is a lot of culture hidden up in "them thar hills..." One must know the story behind the story before the culture is judged, however. I'm so sick and tired of Southern culture being judged for being less than by Yankees.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. Not 'less than' ... just quaint. Your innate insecurity is showing. Hell we use "wicked" here in Boston to mean "very".

Mother to Stronzo? "dear? Did you have a nice time with your friends this evening?" Stronzo: "Wicked. Thanks mum."

They come down here and judge how we talk, what we eat, how we live, but they flock down here like the swalows flying to Capistrano, so it must not be too bad, even if we have wierd expressions (like y'all) and strange Elizabethan ways of pronouncing words. I use them often. (usually with a soft T--a glottal stop, if you will)

I wouldn't know. I've not been. I think the lilt to southern articulation has a certain cadence but I'd tire of it if it's all I heard. It's just my feeling on the matter. In some cases there's a false civility to much of it from what I've noted.

But I've heard many of you speak and I certainly get no indication of Elizabethan English and remember Monty I can recite Geoffrey Chaucer's Whan that Aprille in Middle English with perfection. It was part of my master's extension work at Christ Church, Oxford.

Monty? You must try my New England clam chowder one day. It is, bar none, perfection supreme.

Beyond that I take no issue with southerners and their parlance per se. As I've explained I have some South Carolina ancestry. But I have a sense that some of the negative feelings which are transferred (by some) to those in your neck of the woods rather unfortunately come from the inundation of right wing religious zealots and absolutist politicians who often harken back to the rebel south. There appears to be a preponderance of fundies who speak that way. Guess it's just coincidence eh?

It appears the wounds of the War Between the States are still widely agape.

Now stop being an ass and personalizing the thread. State your case and show real examples of your contention that your 'quaintisms' have direct ties to 'Elizabethan English' and I'll consider your premise.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
:eek: :biggrin1: you SNOB!!!

If you have been following the Times Good University Guide for the last lord knows how many years, my dear colonial friend, you will see that I am simply a realist.

Though I should say that Christ Church is a most beautiful college and has the best croquet lawn that I have ever had the pleasure to play on. It's simply a case of 500 years of cut and roll.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lordpendragon said:
If you have been following the Times Good University Guide for the last lord knows how many years, my dear colonial friend, you will see that I am simply a realist.

Though I should say that Christ Church is a most beautiful college and has the best croquet lawn that I have ever had the pleasure to play on. It's simply a case of 500 years of cut and roll.

I'll defer to your hands-on perspective certainly.

But some of my fondest days were spent there.

Eventide services at Christ Church Cathedral and walking out beneath Tom Tower to have supper at our favorite Italian-Anglo restaurant on the High "Saraceno".... now that's a memory firmly in place.

From a beauty standpoint I happen to prefer architecturally New College. It's cloisters are a transcendant experience.

Lordpendragon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Where was Maurice set?:rolleyes:

And Chariots of Fire?:rolleyes:

I like the colour of these smileys :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Lordpendragon said:
Where was Maurice set?:rolleyes:

And Chariots of Fire?:rolleyes:

I like the colour of these smileys :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

You've happened to land on one of my absolute favorite films of all times.

The fellow who played Wilby's eventual lover was on a rather recent PBS Masterpiece Theater production of The Forsyte Saga .. also quite good.

Yes, yes I know. But you see my experience is with Oxford. And there's a town not too terribly far away called Little Wittenham which is where I did the naughties in a field. I think Cromwell's grandparents are buried in the country church there. So you see my experience is tactile.

BTW? The American movie trailers pronounce it 'Mawr REESE' :rolleyes:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Stronzo said:
<...>
And several websites I've pulled up which support the contention. Here's one. Glossary of quaint southerisms.
<...>
I have seen this website, and others like it, before over the years. I always understood that they were intended as humor, not an actual etymology of "Southernisms," simply because having grown up in Arkansas, and having travelled in Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi, Texas, and Missouri, I have never heard most of those. They have been invented to support a stereotype that does not exist. Yes, some are a bit funny. I'm sure the list was compiled by someone in Minnesota or New York.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Oddities and pecularities of Boston area speech.

Since we going on a bit about colloquialisms and regional traits here are a few examples of my own.

For the most part this reference is accurate.

However I take exception to this excerpt:

"Boston English has a so-called "nasal short-a system". This means that the "short a" vowel [æ] as in cat and rat becomes a mid-high front diphthong when it precedes a nasal consonant: thus man is [meahn] and planet is [pleahnat]. Boston shares this system with the accents of the southern part of the Midwest.

Only the suburbs and South Boston do the nasal thing with their "a"s.

And as an example of how dropped the "r" can be - my great grandaunt still pronounces the word "horse" "hoss" (no "r").