Eggs are white, you scary furriners

Cage eggs are usually a pallid white here.

The free range / farm / backyard shed chickens here seem to have more colourful (even speckled) "white" eggs.

Also, roosters are noisy.

To illustrate:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

lopo2000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Most eggs that you can find in local shops in my country Malaysia are brown... It's the color of eggs you also found in many households in here...

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We do quality over quantity here :cool:

The quality and taste of your egg has nothing to do with the color of the shell.
The health and diet of the bird laying the egg and freshness of the egg.

Haven't had a great tasting egg in years.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
The quality and taste of your egg has nothing to do with the color of the shell.
The health and diet of the bird laying the egg and freshness of the egg.

Haven't had a great tasting egg in years.

Did you read the rest of my post? Or just the bit you quoted?

I was commenting in the context of free-range egg 'production'.

I have great tasting eggs every time I have eggs. As I say - we go for quality over quantity over here - at least many of us do. The battery-farmed egg section at the supermarket is getting smaller and smaller. That's a good thing.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I buy eggs at the Farmers Market in NY and they are brown, I buy them at Safeway in Hawaii and they are white. Both taste the same to me! Although one thing I've noticed is I get a double yolk more often with the white eggs shells.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Did you read the rest of my post? Or just the bit you quoted?

I read the whole thing.
There are over 300 million laying hens here in the US that crank out over 90 Billion eggs a year.
It might be quite amusing if we let all of them out at once to free range but probably not at all practical.

So if I am really wanting a tasty egg in a very bad way, I ask you for directions to your local chicken farmer. :wink:

I've noticed is I get a double yolk more often with the white eggs shells.

I don't know if shell color has anything to do with it.
There may be some genetic factors at work though.

If you want to increase your chances - buy the Jumbos. They usually happen with larger eggs.

I once visited a farm that sold eggs to the locals and they had eggs so big they would not fit into the standard carton and allow you to close the lid. They said they were often double yolk eggs.

One Dozen Trader Joe's Eggs, Each with a Double Yolk | Serious Eats

Double Yolks and Other Egg Oddities - PoultryHelp.com - Rocking T Ranch and Poultry Farm

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media

I read the whole thing.
There are over 300 million laying hens here in the US that crank out over 90 Billion eggs a year.
It might be quite amusing if we let all of them out at once to free range but probably not at all practical.

So if I am really wanting a tasty egg in a very bad way, I ask you for directions to your local chicken farmer. :wink:

Well, for an actual farmer you have to go about 2k down the road, but I've three neighbours within 400m who often give me eggs. Sorry I can't really pop them in the post to you.

Pitbull

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, for an actual farmer you have to go about 2k down the road, but I've three neighbours within 400m who often give me eggs. Sorry I can't really pop them in the post to you.

2k for you is probably 5000 k for me.
There must be someone closer :rolleyes:

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I buy eggs at the Farmers Market in NY and they are brown, I buy them at Safeway in Hawaii and they are white. Both taste the same to me!

Makes me wonder whether the uniformly bright white eggs at the supermarket -- most supermarkets in the US, but clearly not all -- are painted white for appearance's sake, to appeal to shoppers.

I do know that many US-grown oranges, including those produced right here in Florida, are spray painted or bath painted a healthy orange because many consumers reject oranges with green patches or differing shades of orange. Regardless of how uniformly good they are inside for eating or juicing.

Maybe Big Food has determined that consumers are as unlikely to eat an eggshell as to eat an orange rind, so those outsides are fair game for touching-up. I'd like to know that before making orange zest.