Eight Is Enough: Grant Goodeve and Willie Aames..

Discussion in 'Celebrity Endowments' started by elegant20, Oct 14, 2009.

1. elegant20

Gold Member

I must confess, I always did have the hots for Grant Goodeve in Eight Is Enough. Some older brothers do turn me on.....though I did have a crush on Aames in the later years of Eight Is Enough. Anybody recall the show or the two guys mentioned here?

2. D_Coupeland Clydesdale

I remember them. Willie Aames ended up living in the Kansas City area for a few years, and he started some sort of odd Christian superman hero thing that played to megachurches in the city. Then there was his televised freakout on that get-in-shape reality show (the name escapes me). Last time I saw him was on the local KC news where he was auctioning off all his stuff in a garage sale in Olathe, Kansas.

3. elegant20

Gold Member

I think Aames went bankrupt and lost his wife, his kids, etc. I hope he finds the right sooner or later. But Grant is doing well on his own.

4. AG08

Gold Member

Aames did go bankrupt. I remember seeing it on the evening news. It was pretty cruel, but I remember the caption of the news story being "8 bucks is enough". He was forced to have a garage sale to sell off his remaining memorabilia from 8 is Enough and Charles in Charge to pay his creditors. It's sad when you see these guys crash and burn. It's a shame that people in show biz don't realize that their popularity will most likely be short lived. If they did, they would hopefully be more careful with their money rather than going out and blowing it all. They seem to think that the good times will last forever. I heard that Nicholas Cage is something like $6 million in debt right now. Maybe he might be the next star that goes belly up. Does anyone rememember the girl that played Blossom on the same named show? She was smart enough to realize how fickle show biz is and went to university after her show ended. She currently has a Phd in sciences and works in that field now. Compare her to Joey Lawrence (who was her co-star on Blossom). His career crashed and burned once his looks started to go.

5. elegant20

Gold Member

I meant, the right path......aaaaaahh.....there goes my grammar. This always happens. Tongue twister moment....

However, there are some people that are well off and have no bankruptcy history at all. Michael J. Fox, Matthew Broderick, Emilio Estevez, even the late Patrick Swayze, etc. These actors that were popular in the 80s and some of the 90s invested pretty well with their money and lived a very good life. Sure, they probably did have some problems, but in the end, it worked and they invested money well. It all depends as to how well you invest your money and when the fame roller coaster is over. True, their fame did dwindle, but in the end, they invested their money well and decided to leave the business. They realize that showbusiness is just that. What comes out of it stays there. True, they might doing the worst movie of their careers, but look at this way. They are stars that are after all.....millionaires that have invested the lot and decided to save money, no matter what the cause of it is.

The girl that played Blossom is Mayim Bialik, just to let you know.

#5 elegant20, Oct 14, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  6. texas41-38

texas41-38 Member

Most everyone lost thier shirts during the Reagan/Bush/Bush Reign of Error.

7. elegant20

Gold Member

True, texas41-38. But as long as you include Michael Jackson's reckless spending during the Bush adminstration.....but then again, that would be debatable for years to come. LOL.

Good point, though.

8. mikey41

Gold Member

If anyone lost their shirts during that prosperous era, it's their own goddamn fault. Personal responsibility... let's all get some.

9. D_Portelay Porquesword

Whoooa lawd, you brought all the fire didn't you? That was awesome. lol

Snap, crackle AND pop!

10. luvguyz

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Yes, Grant Goodeve was very sexy. I was never really into Wilie Aames tho even tho he was cute.

11. elegant20

Gold Member

Grant was the only the one that's not hurting, so to speak. He sort of reminded a little like a young Peter North...if that's how Peter North looked in the 70s. Though Grant Goodeve was much more good looking than Peter.

12. invisibleman

Gold Member

Here are some photos...:smile:

13. elegant20

Gold Member

Thanks invisibleman. Yum...:cool:

14. D_Diesel Oyl

D_Diesel Oyl New Member

So Ames had to sell off all this crap to pay his creditors. That brought him even with the rest of us. He's back to zero. Is that so terrible? He flew high, blew his wad, and resets. It's not like he was entitled to some life of wealth? It's not the end of the world - most people will never have anything near what he had at one point.

15. elegant20

Gold Member

I guess there is a saying in everything. Religion isn't one of them, but there is an old saying to those whose money is nothing more than peanuts:

"Start something anew."

Bibleman was not going to pay his debts, unfortunately. He lost his wife, his children, and his way of life. All in the end, he retorted back to drugs and drinking. Then the bankruptcy happened. I hope he won't become a statistic in the end. He'll have to build his life up again and do something that is not of the entertainment industry. Bibleman was, after all, cheesy entertainment.

#15 elegant20, Oct 16, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  16. calboy100

calboy100 New Member

i used to have the biggest cursh on him when I was in Jr HS and watched his dopey show "Eight is Enuf." The older brother was too old but WIllie was hot. Then he did that movie where he showed it off and I was like damn thats bold. But today? Yikes.

17. AG08

Gold Member

Poor financial decisions (not surprisingly) seem to have a lot to do with the age at which the celebrity hit it big. Countless numbers of child actors lost everything. Gary Coleman springs to mind - apparently worth $9 million at the height of his career, and today working as a mall security guard. He has demeaned himself in so many ways since his fall from grace for a little publicity. He was on some reality show awhile ago with a bunch of other has beens. I remember watching Vanilla Ice tear into him on one episode. Today I saw him in a New York fries ad in my local mall with a demeaning headline. The other kids on that show such as Dana Plato (who is deceased) and Todd Bridges also hit skid row. Danny Bonaduce is another one that hit rock bottom. I respect the fact that he takes ownership of it - he blames no one but himself unlike Gary Coleman who is very bitter about his situation and blames everyone else for it. Does anyone else remember Gary Coleman's rant about being a 30 something year old virgin? The guy has absolutely no self respect and will do anything to be in the spotlight and get a little attention. It's truly sad.

Did anyone see the movie Dickie Roberts? The "We are the World" type song they did at the end with all of the has been child actors was great! It was good to see that most of them are OK with their situation and can poke a little fun at themselves. They had their time in the spotlight which is a lot more than most other people get in life.

18. WhizKidd

WhizKidd New Member

Remember, Gary Coleman was still a kid when his parents ripped off all his money. The guy is disabled with a chronic kidney problem and he doesn't have a dime of what he earned due to his greedy folks squandering away his money. Many of these folks' parents pimped them for all their money when they were kids and greatly helped to ruin them. Couple that with the fact that many of these child stars become unmarketable as actors when they mature and that spells T-R-O-U-B-L-E for them. So, it's not always a simple matter of money mismanagement, IMHO.

19. rickygNOLA

Gold Member

Albums:
    i agree my invsi friend. very cute...but wasn't he not supposed to be of pretty short stature? and there's nothing wrong with that, but we tall guys like to look into another man's eyes without having to give them a lift...

#19 rickygNOLA, Oct 18, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  20. AG08

Gold Member

Gary Coleman did claim that his parents ripped him off and led to his financial ruin, but I honestly have to wonder how much of that is true. Wasn't a law inacted in the U.S. that severely limited how much money a parent could take from their children because of what happened to Gary Cooper? Giving Gary Coleman the benefit of the doubt and assuming that his parents did rip him off, the same isn't true for every child star that hit it big and later faced financial ruin. As I mentioned in my original post, Donny Bonaduce took full responsibiltiy for his financial failings. Other child stars like Corey Feldman and Corey Haim went crazy on booze and drugs once they hit stardom and it escalated after nobody wanted them anymore. Hollywood kids are just like everyday kids who grow up to be failures and blame it on their parents rather than taking any personal responsibility for their own actions. It's always easier to blame others rather than taking personal responsibility for one's own failures.

Draft saved Draft deleted