Election prediction...

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by wispandex_bulge, Mar 23, 2008.

?

How do you presently plan to vote in the 2008 Presidential Election?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2008.
  1. Obama, (or Clinton, if Clinton gets the Dem nomination)

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. Obama, (or McCain, if Clinton gets the Dem nomination)

13 vote(s)
    21.3%
  3. Clinton, (or Obama, if Obama gets the Dem nomination)

10 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. Clinton, (or McCain, if Obama gets the Dem nomination)

5 vote(s)
    8.2%
  5. McCain, whatever those loony Dems do...

15 vote(s)
    24.6%
  1. wispandex_bulge

Albums:
    Ok, I think Id like to know how we as a group stand... I think I know and the answer scares me. I intend for the poll to allow you to change yoru answer until election day.

2. midlifebear

Gold Member

Dear wispandex_bulge:

Question: are you still scared?

Just curious.

3. wispandex_bulge

Albums:
    teeny bit...yeah...but well have to see how things balance out...

4. Northland

Gold Member

So far very evenly-

5. wispandex_bulge

Albums:
    with mccain a 10:3 favorite...(playing with the numbers here so far when the poll was 1:1:1:1:4...kudos if you under stand the logic behind my ratio)

6. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    You omitted a very significant option in this poll:

Obama (or a third-party candidate if Clinton gets the DEM nomination)

7. visualalert

visualalert New Member

Shouldn't we consider the first and third options to be "the Democrat nominee no matter who it is?" That is to say, I think they're the same thing and results in those two categories should be added together. Or so it appears to me, anyway.

8. wispandex_bulge

Albums:
    for the purposes of the general election, this is true... However, this set of options allows elucidation of preferences, but I agree that i should have included third party alternatives for the candidates....

9. visualalert

visualalert New Member

There is that possibility (I'm thinking of Nader, who may or may not be who you meant). Anecdotally, a hard-left bud of mine voted for him once but now regards him as an EVIL NAZI MCCARTHYITE FASCIST (you know, what all good "progressives" call people who disagree with them when they're not preaching tolerance for diversity of opinion) because he diluted the Gore vote in FL in 2000. Not sure how representative my bud is and thus how much traction Nader would get this time.

There's also the extremely remote possibility that Gore may jump back in as some pundits are suggesting. But (a) Dems tend to eat their losers, and (b) Gore is starting to look silly as more criticism of the global warming scam gets more press, and (c) he's made a shitload of money with his GW roadshow and will have a fan base fawning over his every pronouncement forever. Why should he bother?

I guess anything's possible, but this poll does seem to concentrate on those who are likely to be the candidates this fall.

10. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    As well it should...but it focuses too narrowly, IMO. I know of a number of Obama supporters among my friends and family who plan not to support the Dem ticket if he isn't atop it. For people like us, our choice is in the man, not the party.

To my choice in this nightmare scenario, I can't say for certain, but Nader wouldn't be very likely. Probably the Libertarian candidate, although I'll have to dig further into their nominee once he's been selected.

11. D_Cyprius Slapwilly

D_Cyprius Slapwilly New Member

Obama or Clinton, but preferably Obama considering I've now traveled to 4 states to campaign for him. Next stop is North Carolina. :)

12. wispandex_bulge

Albums:
    Sigh, I wish someone could tell me what they see in Obama that isnt a lot of oratory Hoo-ra-ra... Frankly, were due for a hard crash if we keep riding the same emotional wave that Obama has started. Please keep an open mind, and remember that sort of joke that circulated sometime back about Hitler, FDR, and Churchill...FDR and Church hill could easily be painted as "bad people" for their personal life (read: womanizer, smoker, and/or alcoholic), and Hitler could be painted as a "saint" for similar reasons (read: vegetarian, family values, and general health advocate). Hillary might not be your cup of tea, but her history is one of results. Although past performance is not a guarantee of future return, its a damn good indicator.

13. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Agreed...and her history is full of the wrong kind of results.

14. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

None of the above.
    I still support Ron Paul.

If he pulls out, possibly the Libertarian or Green party candidate.
    If forced to choose between the three major candidates? Obama. But I have yet to vote for a major party candidate other than Feinstein, Boxer, and Clinton in '96ish, doubt I'll start again this year.

15. D_Cyprius Slapwilly

D_Cyprius Slapwilly New Member

How could you be torn between these two parties? They're polar opposites.

16. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I didn't state I was torn.
    As a non-partisan voter, there are aspects of every party that I like or dislike. This year, depending upon who takes the nomination and their platform, Libertarian or Green will be my go to backup if Ron Paul pulls out.

17. wispandex_bulge

Albums:
    That depends on your opinion. And lets talk demographics while were at it: Obama is more popular amongst unemployed people, while Clinton is more popular with working families. Interestingly enough, Obama has yet to offer a detailed plan to improve the economy...hes too busy winning the feel-good war on the Iraq war: bring people home and we'll all be happier. Which considering people without jobs love him, he'll be right at home with all those jobless soldiers. Clinton on the other hand has talked about the economy and possibilities for helping it, part of her plans of course will deal with the re integration of the large workforce now employed by the armed forces...

18. JustAsking

Gold Member

Interestingly enough, you are clueless.

19. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Actually, let's stay away from demographics and other avenues for division. Let's stick to what the candidates offer the nation as a whole, as opposed to any particular group.

Your comments on Obama's intentions for Iraq are puzzling, considering that they are very similar to Clinton's in terms of general disengagement.

Your remarks about Obama not having any plans for our economy are similarly puzzling, considering that his plan has been documented and made publicly available for quite some time now. Either you were speaking in ignorance, which can stop now that you've been enlightened...or you knew of these plans and were just being yet another intellectually dishonest douchebag.

Since you're touting the wonders of Hillary's path to economic salvation, how about you provide a little documentation for us so we can read it ourselves? I showed you my links...time for you to put up or shut up.

20. B_jacknapier

B_jacknapier New Member

They both advocate legalization or decriminalization of weed, correct? While some people think it's a laughing matter, I'm pretty seriously in favor of being allowed to put what I damn well please into my own body.

Draft saved Draft deleted