Election Reform Anyone??

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: In my opinion the whacko election laws in each state need to be codified on the federal level. Of course then you get into the problem of the Constitution reserving those rights to the States. I however would favor federal control. (Yeah for you conservitives I know...I'm just wanting the Government to control everything) ;)

If you look at the election laws in each state they are all very different and severely advantage the incumbent. Take Indiana...we only have a choice between democrats, the GOP, and Libertarian. Personally I think anyone of any party should be able to run.

So anyone else have an opinion??

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

I like the idea of each state having its own way of electing representative government and passing its own laws.

Conformity has its advantages, of course, but if a Down Easter, a Cajun and a Wyoming cowboy (along with everybody else) had the same federally mandated laws and guidelines for voting, taxes, public drunkenness, etc. it would be a boring country, indeed.

3. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: I suppose thats a good way of lookin at it Pecker.

It would indeed be a boring world in that case.

4. Imported

Gold Member

da_blissmachine: how about a ranking election? does anyone know about these?

5. Imported

Gold Member

jackinman: Well here in NYC they can start by purchasing new Voting Machines. Jeez we've been using the same ones for 40 years now and alot of them break down causing unnecessary long lines. Not a pleasant sight when you've been working all day and you're tired.

6. Imported

Gold Member

throb919: ...and maybe work on the Electoral College, too? Y'know--plurality elections? Where the candidate that gets the most votes wins...?

(I'd like to know more about Australia's compulsory democracy concept, too...)

7. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: [quote author=jackinman link=board=99;num=1067219238;start=0#4 date=10/26/03 at 18:54:53]Well here in NYC they can start by purchasing new Voting Machines. Jeez we've been using the same ones for 40 years now and alot of them break down causing unnecessary long lines. Not a pleasant sight when you've been working all day and you're tired.  
        [/quote]

You should feel lucky you've got machines - we get little cards to put crosses in and banks of people to count them!

8. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Oh, that would NEVER fly in Florida anymore, LTL. :D

9. Imported

Gold Member

jerkin4-10: since ive been soundly trounced by the majority here about term limits...i like the jesus lookin guys suggestion about campaign contribution reform...hey ya gotta jump on a bandwagon...LOL...i still believe the term limits is a good idea...but...ill not harp...and the majority is probably right about voting some of these goobers out...but people..the dumbing down of america has already happened...people when not sure of a candidate will vote the familiar name ya know...just to get it done...i mean i lived through bill clinton in arkansas...elected 27 times for governor...but nobody would admit voting for him...LOL...never had a fuggin job...NEVER...but the next best solution other that term limits :) is campaign contribution reform...but you might as well look for Jesus to come and have dinner with you...you would have better luck... :D

10. Imported

Gold Member

7x6andchg: Jesus is coming to dinner? Shit, I better clean! :D

I think campaign finance reform is a good idea in principle...but Feingold and McCain have been trying to get that through for years and it's never happened...always someone out there willing to block it.

11. Imported

Gold Member

Inwood: Longtimelurker - I think Canada uses that system--paper ballot with big "boxes" :eek: that are then marked with a big black X. They apparently can get complete results by the next day. You just have to have clear rules.

I like the electoral college. It keeps a balance between the power of all the states when it comes to selecting the president. Remember states with large populations get their extra power from the larger number of Reps in the H of R. It all balances out.

I'm against term limits personally. But the only change I'd make right now is extending the president to possibly having three terms and hope they would still stick to GW(Washington)'s example and leave after two. But having the third be a possibility would keep them from being a lame duck.

Not against the states setting their own election laws but they need to be able to be held accountable if they don't make good ones. Elections are too important to this country to not be the best thought out as possible.

Campaign finance reform?! Let them have as much money as they can get BUT we have to know exactly where the money comes from day ONE. You hand over a check or cash, you hand over a form that can be read by computer and your name is splashed all over the place as giving such and such amount of money. If you lie about who's money it is you're giving then you go to jail for a very long time. Not the poliitican or the person who put up the money just the sucker who handed the money in. That'll clear out the middle wo/men pretty quick. Who wants to go to jail for something that can be done legally.

I think I hit all my points. Back to work for a bit.

12. jonb

Gold Member

You should see Florida laws: If you share a surname or a birthday with a felon, you can't vote.

Our biggest mistake, IMO, was the two-party system: You've got the GOP, who are indeed pro-environment, as they recycle nuclear waste into orthodontics. (Actual Bush Administration plan.) And you've got the Democrats, who have redefined wimp: Clinton would've never gotten away with lying about WMD; he couldn't  even lie about Wangs, Mouths, and Deviance.

13. Imported

Gold Member

longtimelurker: I know that this is dealing with American politics, but we are (sort of) having some campaign finance reform at the moment.

We currently have it (and have had for a few years now) a necessity for all parties to declare any gifts received - also all MPs have to declare any outside earnings (such as being on a board of directors, private gifts etc.) to ensure that there aren't any conflicts of interest. This system doesn't really have all the teeth it could have if rules are broken, but seems to work quite well.

Currently being debated, though, is the idea of the public financing election campaigns. This would thereby mean a ceiling limit to how much is spent and no conflicts of interest. There is a problem, however, that this may mean public money going to 'undesirables', such as our ultra-right wing BNP, for example. I don't think this has been decided in full yet, but it will be interesting to see the results.

14. Imported

Gold Member

aj2181: [quote author=jerkin4-10 link=board=99;num=1067219238;start=0#8 date=10/27/03 at 17:07:45]since ive been soundly trounced by the majority here about term limits.....i still believe the term limits is a good idea...but...ill not harp...and the majority is probably right about voting some of these goobers out...but people..the dumbing down of america has already happened...people when not sure of a candidate will vote the familiar name ya know... is campaign contribution reform...but you might as well look for Jesus to come and have dinner with you...you would have better luck... :D[/quote]

Hey your entitled to your opinion, ALWAYS. Also don't back down. I can't speak for anyone but me but I love a healthy debate.

You and others are right on about contribution reform. Look at all the time both Bush and Clinton spent fundraising. Its an enourmous distracton at the very least.

You make a good point Jonb. The Democrats are soft on the issue of defense. Its a major problem that the party needs to deal with. Who ever the dem. candidate is next year they should look at FDR and Truman....two presidents who happened to be democrats who certainly weren't soft on defense.

longtimelurker your opinion is always valuable. We have some of those laws if i'm not mistaken....does anyone know that for sure?...I think there has been some suggestion of public financing of political campaigns. At least I know I have heard it suggested.

Draft saved Draft deleted