Election Spurs Outbreak of Racial Anger

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

After Obama victory, an outbreak of racial anger
    Some in U.S. acting out on feeling of loss spurred by election of black president.

By Jesse Washington
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Sunday, November 16, 2008

Crosses burning. Children chanting, "Assassinate Obama." Racial epithets scrawled on homes and cars.

Reports of incidents such as those across the country are dampening the glow of racial progress and harmony that bloomed after the election of Democrat Barack Obama, an African American, to the presidency.

From California to Maine, police have documented a range of incidents, including vandalism, threats and at least one physical attack. There have been "hundreds" of incidents since the election, many more than usual, said Mark Potok, director of the Intelligence Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center, which monitors hate crimes.

In Snellville, Ga., Denene Millner said that a day after the election, a boy on a school bus told her 9-year-old daughter that he hoped "Obama gets assassinated." That night, Millner said, someone trashed her sister-in-law's front lawn, mangled the Obama lawn signs and left two pizza boxes filled with human feces outside the front door.

"It definitely makes you look a little different at the people who you live with," said Millner, who is black. "And makes you wonder what they're capable of and what they're really thinking."

Potok, who is white, said he thinks there is "a large subset of white people in this country who feel that they are losing everything they know, that the country their forefathers built has somehow been stolen from them."

Grant Griffin, a 46-year-old Georgia native who is white, expressed similar sentiments. "I believe our nation is ruined and has been for several decades, and the election of Obama is merely the culmination of the change," Griffin said.

A black president is "the most profound change in the field of race this country has experienced since the Civil War," said William Ferris, senior associate director of the Center for the Study of the American South at the University of North Carolina. "It's shaking the foundations on which the country has existed for centuries."

The day after Obama's victory, high school student Barbara Tyler, who is black, of Marietta, Ga., said that she heard hateful comments about him from white students. Tyler spoke at a news conference by the Georgia chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People during which the group called for a town hall meeting to address complaints about hostility and resentment.

Other incidents include:
    • Four North Carolina State University students admitted writing anti-Obama comments in a tunnel designated for free expression.
    • In Standish, Maine, a sign in the Oak Hill General Store said, "Osama Obama Shotgun Pool." Customers could sign up to bet $1 on a date when Obama would be killed. "Stabbing, shooting, roadside bombs, they all count," the sign said.
    • Elementary students on a school bus in Rexburg, Idaho, chanted, "Assassinate Obama," a district official said.
    • University of Alabama professor Marsha Houston said a poster of the Obama family was ripped off her office door. A replacement poster was defaced with a death threat and a racial slur, she said.
    • Alie Kamara, a black teen in New York, said that on election night he was attacked with a bat by four white men who shouted, "Obama." Police said Saturday that two 18-year-old white men were arrested Friday. Ralph Nicoletti and Bryan Garaventa face charges of hate-crime assault and criminal possession of a weapon, police said.

Emotions are often raw after political campaigns, and for some of those on the losing side, black people are an easy target for their anger, an expert said.

"The principle is very simple," said BJ Gallagher, a sociologist. "If I can't hurt the person I'm angry at, then I'll vent my anger on a substitute, i.e., someone of the same race.

"We saw the same thing happen after the 9/11 attacks as a wave of anti-Muslim violence swept the country."

====================================================
    I don't get it. :confused: I understand racism, as I have been a victim of it enough in my lifetime. What I don't get is the violent reaction some white people are having to President-Elect Barack Obama.

As a diehard Democrat I was not pleased when George W. Bush took office either time. However, it never ocurred to me to lash out randomly at white people. Not once did I say to myself, things will be better if I beat that crap out of a white guy with a baseball bat or deface someones home or property.

Are people afraid they will start serving fried chicken, collard greens, black eyed peas and biscuits to visiting dignitaries? Do they really believe a black President will ruin this country? Cause I got news for you GW. Bush already did that. :irked:

2. Krusader

Gold Member

Albums:
    not this racist crap again

3. Nrets

Nrets Member

The world is still fucked up. The election of Obama does not change that.

But what it does is it brings to light what lies in the shadows and now that these people are emerging we can expunge their hate in the light of day.

They gotta accept it..we elected a black president.

Personally, I hope they start serving some soul food at state functions.

4. Ed69

Gold Member

Yup again!

These are the same kind of people who yell "Squaw Man!" at me when they see my wife and I together in town.

5. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Obama as president is a change some people will have to adjust to, that's just obvious. However, I do not think these incidents signal a shift towards racial strife. Rather Obama, and the current economic situation, are excuses for some that already had violent tendencies to act out.

The ignorance is shameful, the violence inexcusable, but I wouldn't pinpoint post-Obama racism as the only factor.

Idk, I have spent far too much time in Texas, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana, where people are far more open about their feelings, to be shocked--but this is only a small portion of 80% of the population.

If we as minorities (Black, Asian, Latino, Indigenous) and other marginalized people (Women, Gay, Transgender, non-Christian) want to reduce the likelihood of these attacks after a success -we have to take a greater, public role in society. Making it normal, may be the only way to combat the exoticism and fear. :shrug:

6. D_VictorVikkiTielVictoria

The truth is...
    Racism has always been there...like the herpes virus.
    This is the REAL America.
    Anyone that thinks things have gotten any better, better take the rose colored glasses off, because it's about to get worse.
    If this country gets past the upcoming inauguration day without anything horrible happening, it'll be a miracle.

#6 D_VictorVikkiTielVictoria, Nov 17, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  7. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

soon this too, will pass

we saw similar outbreaks with the enforcement of integration, now look at our children -- a day doesn't go by where I don't see a mixed race couple

the incidents described actually are contrary to American character

since the beginning, the natural tendency was to inter-mingle

the British overlords of the early colonies had to enact the legal prohibitions precisely because it was occurring, and offended British sensitivities, but was thoroughly American in character

that of course, was followed by ideological and theological justifications premised on the black man as being in many ways less than a full human, but even then, thinking fellows, such as Jefferson, knew otherwise

give it time, and the natural American character will assert itself

Draft saved Draft deleted