Electric Toothbrush Recommendations

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by lwd, Aug 24, 2008.

1. lwd

lwd New Member

I need to clean up my chompers a bit:smile:. Are electric toothbrushes worth the extra expense? If so, which model do you recommend?

Thanks.

2. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Sonicares kick ass. There's really nothing else to say on the matter. And they're worth it, although they are VERY expensive. $70+ if I recall right. Your teeth and gums will thank you.

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

A cheap alternative is a Colgate Spin Brush. It's under $10 and uses a battery. I need to get one myself. The one I had broke, but they do get your teeth MUCH cleaner than a regular toothbrush.

Before that I had an electric one with a rechargeable stand, it was good too.

4. lwd

lwd New Member

Thanks, guys. I don't mind paying a little extra money for quality, so I will probably pick up the Sonicare. You might see my smiling face on the cover of Mad Magazine.

5. Flashy

Gold Member

If you go to any CVS, you can buy a variety of Oral-B electric ones for about $19-$59, depending on quality. the basic unit is the same, it has a plug into the wall recharger, where you keep the unit, and all oral-B brushes are compatible with it, i use the ones with a round brush at the top, and then a more rectangular brush just below, it for double the effectiveness

Oral-B Power Products and electric toothbrushes for improved oral care

6. Meniscus

Gold Member

Yes, electric toothbrushes do a much better job, and every dentist I've gone to in the past 10 years or so has recommended them for that reason. Let's face it, they move much faster than the human hand can move a manual toothbrush, therefore they get the teeth much cleaner. Also, many of them are pressure-sensitive to prevent you from brushing too hard and damaging your gums.

Many dentists sell electric toothbrushes for much less than what you would pay in the store, so call your dentist's office, ask which brands/models they sell, and ask the price.

I use a Braun/Oral-B Professional Care because that's what my dentist recommends. He used to sell the Sonicare as well, but he said he stopped carrying it because his patients didn't like it. Apparently, many people find it uncomfortable to use.

I haven't tried the $10 battery operated variety, so I can't comment on how well they work compared to the more expensive models. My guess is that even if they work as well (or nearly as well) that they break down sooner and need to be replaced more often.

7. Domisoldo

Gold Member

Albums:
    One key reason Sonicare kicks ass is that the ultrasounds help dislodge the bacterial colonies.

Disregard comments from people who think you're simply too lazy to brush your teeth by hand. There is no way you can beat Sonicare at its game.

#7 Domisoldo, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  8. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have the Oral B Professional Care model...
    and I LOVE it...it does a much better job than I would manually...
    I'm thinking about getting a Sonicare once this one is done...

Draft saved Draft deleted