Elitism

cockoloco

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I read this article from the LA Times not long ago and it got me thinking on elitism nowadays.

I come from an extremely elitist country and I believe that it is so because it lacks own true identity. But everything is associated with success and failure.

Elitism is not only about wealth. It also compares culture, wisdom, skills and any other thing that can be measured, compared and competed.

I grew up living in a society that expected me to be the best. Always competing and comparing against others my possessions, knowledge and whatnot. As I grew up I thought differently and I realised that if I were to succeed it was because of personal satisfaction than because of what others were expecting.

What's your point of view regarding elitism? Do you live in an elitist society? Do you consider yourself an elitist? If yes, do you agree with the fact that it is considered as one of type of discrimination?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
e·lit·ism http://cache.lexico.com/dictionary/graphics/luna/thinsp.pngəm, eɪˈli-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[i-lee-tiz-uhm, ey-lee-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun 1.practice of or belief in rule by an elite. 2.consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

gingernuts

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A second cousin of mine once said within earshot of me "isn't amazing that someone like me and someone like him could be related"

I can't say if elitism is good or bad but I sure don't like it.:rolleyes:

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
... I think all my friends are what I call "intellectual elitists."

They snub their nose at everything you do, say, or believe. And they always have some sort of data that trumps your data, no matter the issue. Then, they always somehow know what is right and wrong for you in your life and if you don't do it their way, they question your sanity or your well-being.

Not to stereotype, but they are also all atheists and liberals. Nothing wrong with either of those... just that combination, in my experience, seems to breed what I defined as an "intellectual elitist."

(I'll go ahead and don my flame suit).
:gasthrower:

gingernuts

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know a lot of supposedly wise people who have done really dumb things and suposedly simple people who have done very wise things. Go figure.

morsecode

Experimental Member
Media

They snub their nose at everything you do, say, or believe. And they always have some sort of data that trumps your data, no matter the issue. Then, they always somehow know what is right and wrong for you in your life and if you don't do it their way, they question your sanity or your well-being.

Not to stereotype, but they are also all atheists and liberals. Nothing wrong with either of those... just that combination, in my experience, seems to breed what I defined as an "intellectual elitist."

so, why are they still your friends? or you like them like that, or is just a parable.

D

deleted213967

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black... :biggrin1:

You are an unapologetic underwear elitist. You prance around in rare, dernier cri, exponentially-priced briefs, trunks and sliders from top-flight designers and you bask in the knowledge that most of your male counterparts have no concept how common and uninspiring their own underwear is.

I am hereby outing you as an elitist, worse yet, un élitiste.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I've known Christian conservatives who were intellectual elitists.

I'm agnostic and liberal, and I guess some people might see me as an intellectual elitist, but I don't think I am. I don't stick my nose in other people's business, for the most part. The people I did have a problem with in my hometown are the ones who are sort of anti-intellectual elitists! They hate anyone who has a college education, and even hate people who actually READ BOOKS! :confused: The anti-intellicatual elitists were also Christian and conservative. But then, I have actually known very few other liberals in my life. I keep my political views to myself for the most part, since I hate to argue.

The other reason I don't think I'm an intellectual elitist is that I have some lowbrow interests as well as the highbrow ones. I'm equally likely to be watching "Nova" and "America's Next Top Model". :biggrin1: And I'm more likely to listen to rock music than classical, although I like both. And while I am college educated and do read books, I don't constantly have my nose in a book, and I'm just as likely to read a mystery bestseller as I am to read something more "literary" - and I read fashion magazines, too!

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
so, why are they still your friends? or you like them like that, or is just a parable.
I've been asking myself that a lot lately, actually. :rolleyes:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black... :biggrin1:

You are an unapologetic underwear elitist. You prance around in rare, dernier cri, exponentially-priced briefs, trunks and sliders from top-flight designers and you bask in the knowledge that most of your male counterparts have no concept how common and uninspiring their own underwear is.[/color]

I am hereby outing you as an elitist, worse yet, un élitiste.
WTF? I am not sure if I should take this as a serious post or not. I am pretty sure that me wearing designer underwear - that nobody sees and I never mention except on here to posters that desire to read reviews - does not make me some sort of elitist.

I hope that you have enjoyed my photo shoots, though. I know you have! Don't lie. :biggrin1:

I've known Christian conservatives who were intellectual elitists.

I'm agnostic and liberal, and I guess some people might see me as an intellectual elitist, but I don't think I am. I don't stick my nose in other people's business, for the most part. The people I did have a problem with in my hometown are the ones who are sort of anti-intellectual elitists! They hate anyone who has a college education, and even hate people who actually READ BOOKS! :confused: The anti-intellicatual elitists were also Christian and conservative. But then, I have actually known very few other liberals in my life. I keep my political views to myself for the most part, since I hate to argue.

The other reason I don't think I'm an intellectual elitist is that I have some lowbrow interests as well as the highbrow ones. I'm equally likely to be watching "Nova" and "America's Next Top Model". :biggrin1: And I'm more likely to listen to rock music than classical, although I like both. And while I am college educated and do read books, I don't constantly have my nose in a book, and I'm just as likely to read a mystery bestseller as I am to read something more "literary" - and I read fashion magazines, too!
If you keep to yourself and mind your own business then you probably aren't an intellectual elitist. For instance, when confronted by an opposing viewpoint, such as Creationism, do you admit that you could be wrong or that you both may be wrong or that you both may be right? An elitist would only admit they could be wrong after being called out that they are being omniscient by being "so sure."

But yeah. There are religious intellectual elites, too. IEs come in all forms and all walks of life. What you have interests in means nothing on being or not being an IE. It is how you handle your knowledge. If you act like your way is the only way and you are unwilling to accept that you could be wrong (or your data could be wrong), then you are an elitist. Elitism is always having to be right, or always having to "one up" everyone that has an opposing viewpoint, not about your everyday lifestyle that you lead.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The word has no meaning, thanks to republican propaganda and PR...

When members of Skull and Bones can get away with calling Obama an elitist... we have gone down the rabbit hole as far as language.

The US congress has it very own pension plan- separate and distinct from social security- and vastly better because congress has never written a bill that raided their own pension fund.

They also have voted themselves government supplied health-care coverage, separate and distinct from medicaid, and vastly better, because they are covered for everything, for life, and can never be denied coverage- even for experimental treatments...

Most members of cNoongress are millionaires...
AND they are the ones who govern.

By every possible measure of the term, they are ALL elitists- and all members of the ruling elite.

The sad truth is that the republican spin machine has made the term "elite" synonymous with "smarter than you".

Obama is literally a goatherder's son.
no silver spoon in his mouth... no free pass to Yale or Harvard.

But they call him an elitist because he comes of as intelligent.
Smarter than the average American doofus.

As if that is a bad thing for a leader.

Republicans have mastered the tactic of BEING elitists, but talking like they are regular dolts.

But I tell ya- when there is a war on- I want to send my most elite fighting force- not my run of the mill army nimrods.

I want my most elite scientists working on the problems of warming, physics, and energy...

And I definitely want a president who is smarter than me.

D

deleted213967

I'll get back to this later; I have Champagne chilling and I have to get out the good china and silver. Having a dinner guest later.

At least I know you're not an elitist. An elitist would never boast his or her "good" china and would find Champagne too bourgeois.

:biggrin1:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you keep to yourself and mind your own business then you probably aren't an intellectual elitist. For instance, when confronted by an opposing viewpoint, such as Creationism, do you admit that you could be wrong or that you both may be wrong or that you both may be right? An elitist would only admit they could be wrong after being called out that they are being omniscient by being "so sure."

But yeah. There are religious intellectual elites, too. IEs come in all forms and all walks of life. What you have interests in means nothing on being or not being an IE. It is how you handle your knowledge. If you act like your way is the only way and you are unwilling to accept that you could be wrong (or your data could be wrong), then you are an elitist. Elitism is always having to be right, or always having to "one up" everyone that has an opposing viewpoint, not about your everyday lifestyle that you lead.

Nearly everyone I've ever known has been a Creationist. I even was when I was growing up, because that's what I was taught by my family, and the schools hem-hawed around evolution because if they taught it, there would be angry parents up in arms at the school over it (and yes, it was a public school, but that didn't matter where I grew up). My only exposure to evolutionary theory was in the science books I read for fun (and I think I wasn't totally creationist even as a kid, because of these books, which made sense to me... so it was a struggle for me, do I believe the science books, or do I believe my family?) I don't think creationists are right, but I think evolutionists don't have all the knowledge either - however, evolutionary biologists are more likely to say that they don't have all the answers. Creationists are more likely to say (and I've seen this saying on bumper stickers, etc.!) "God said it, I believe it, that settles it" and you can't talk to them any further about anything.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Ok, I have given this careful thought all day. This whole subject comes down to someone thinking that they are better because of what they have or where they live or who they know.
I grew up very very lucky. I went to good schools and I have nice things. I would rather fly first class than coach.
But I enjoy a cold beer as much as champagne. I have had more fun meeting the NY area LPSG boys than going to the Academy Awards. I don't think I'm better or worse than anybody. Just lucky... because I've survived a fatal car accident and have beat cancer (at least for now) I've had more than second chances and will always be grateful for being alive to write this.
I wrote something about 20 years ago, You can't buy sell or send away for taste or style with dirty or new money. You make the best with what you have and if you want something more you have to earn it. If you think you are better than anyone else, walk in their shoes for a day. What matters the most is decency an integrity.
Hate to cut this short, but my dinner is almost ready and I opted to post this instead of washing dishes....but my meal is going to taste just as good on paper plates.

D_Chocho_Lippz

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Nearly everyone I've ever known has been a Creationist. I even was when I was growing up, because that's what I was taught by my family, and the schools hem-hawed around evolution because if they taught it, there would be angry parents up in arms at the school over it (and yes, it was a public school, but that didn't matter where I grew up). My only exposure to evolutionary theory was in the science books I read for fun (and I think I wasn't totally creationist even as a kid, because of these books, which made sense to me... so it was a struggle for me, do I believe the science books, or do I believe my family?) I don't think creationists are right, but I think evolutionists don't have all the knowledge either - however, evolutionary biologists are more likely to say that they don't have all the answers. Creationists are more likely to say (and I've seen this saying on bumper stickers, etc.!) "God said it, I believe it, that settles it" and you can't talk to them any further about anything.

True. And thank you for being very civil about my comments. I think that for many religious people (not just Christians) there is a "house" that they have to believe. There are many things that Christians do and say simply because the Church has passed that tradition, saying, or rule down over the centuries. So, if you step outside of that box, you are then labeled (either internally by yourself or externally by the Church) as a non-believer. This simply is not the case. This is especially not the case when we are dealing with a God who nobody has never seen or literally talked to. So because these people are scared of being called a "non-believer" and thus "damned," they become lemmings. Many times when one becomes a lemming, they are so scared to question that they end up denying everything. They no longer are a skeptic or a rational human being - they are a slave to some sort of idea (which IMHO seems exactly like the opposite of what Jesus (real or not) was trying to do in the Bible). I am not quite sure that this is the same as an intellectual elite. One is an elite because they think that they are right because someone/some book/some church told them they are right and they are scared to question those authorities. The other is right because they are right and feel they cannot be wrong.

But then again, I could be wrong in my reasoning too. :biggrin1:

kilteddong

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Having been born and raised a privileged New Englander has put me in the midst of elitists my entire life. We spent a great deal of time in West Connecticut, the West Chester/Scarsdale areas of New York and summered in Vermont and Maine for generations.

After college I cut ties with most everyone and started hanging out with real people ... my kind of people.

I think elitists are amusing. It's been my experience to find that most of them are messed up in one way or another but struggle to extremes to maintain these fronts they put up.

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
"I come from an extremely elitist country and I believe that it is so because it lacks own true identity. But everything is associated with success and failure.

What's your point of view regarding elitism? Do you live in an elitist society? Do you consider yourself an elitist? If yes, do you agree with the fact that it is considered as one of type of discrimination?"

How ironic that you ask this on a large penis support group.

But considering that large penises are considered desirable in most places, maybe humans simply strive for elitism.

As for this society, I would say we are a very elite country.

We live in a fucking country club, really.
Even those in the 9th ward in New Orleans or in East St Louis.

But within our elite society, there are those who are real people.

It's just that the context of the country has first world comforts for the poorest people.

Personally I don't like it, because people at the bottom are fucking miserable trying to scrape by to keep up with the elite ideal that everyone should have electricity, entertainment, cell phones, cars, fancy clothes, kilos of red meat and pints of beer if you please.

I think elitism is what makes ourselves unhappy. If nobody was competing, we could all chill out and come together and embrace life and creativity and our true selves.

That said I am one of those that seems relatively non-elite, especially compared to the type of in your face elite that kilteddong was talking about from New England...but even my punk rock spirited self has to admit, I scrape change off the floorboard of my Camry so that I can cruise in my 70 Deville cause I romanticize big ass old American rust buckets.

Losing a job and continuing to drive a 38 year old car that gets 10 mpg at 24 years old
using money from my Dad's ample state pension and change off the floorboard of another car...

Pretty fucking elite.

I don't think it is discrimination...I think it is more like cocaine...once it is provided for you and you give in...it is hard to quit.

The government allows us this lifestyle....the economic system encourages it... and the media constantly advertises new ways of spending money and in return the populace works harder to make more so they can purchase more.

The truly rich aren't so much addicted as they are out of touch.

They have it so easy in this system; they will do anything to stay away from the truth. And they have to so they can justify keeping their privilege.

In that regard, those people do come closer to discrimination with their elitism...as they don't associate with people who aren't on their wavelength. Some may for kicks...but ultimately who wants to give up a life of leisure.

And that's fine. I'd probably do the same if I had a billion dollars.

But at the same time I would need a whole lot of prozac to calm my spirit down to be able to just sit still in my mansion.

Nah...I would be one of those wack job rich dudes who goes out freedom fighting in El Salvador or some shit.

Last edited: