Ellen DeGeneres has just announced that she will be the new judge on American Idol!!!

B_am12388

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yay, I'm so excited! I love her!!! :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

Perez Hilton: Ellen DeGeneres Replacing Paula Abdul On American Idol!!!!!!

http://perezhilton.com/2009-09-09-e...d-d1ba-43cf-b604-9e75af7e045f&isShareURL=true

Reality TV staple American Idol has chosen its new judge to replace Paula Abdul….and it’s Ellen DeGeneres!
The 51-year-old talk show host will join Simon Cowell, Randy Jackson and Kara DioGuardi for the next season on AI.
Ellen shared her excitement at the new opportunity, saying, “I’m thrilled to be the new judge on American Idol. I’ve watched since the beginning, and I’ve always been a huge fan. So getting this job is a dream come true, and think of all the money I’ll save from not having to text in my vote! Hopefully I’m the people’s point of view because I’m just like you. I sit at home and I watch it. I’m not looking at it in a critical way from the producer’s mind. I’m looking at it as a person who is going to buy the music and is going to relate to that person. ”
Her talk show, The Ellen DeGeneres Show, will continue on. She shared on her show today, “I’m going to have a day job and a night job. This is so exciting for me!”
WHAT DO YOU THINK of Ellen being the new American Idol judge - YAY or NAY?

B_am12388

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think she'll add humor to the show. Although no one could replace Paula, I'm excited to see what Ellen will bring to the show. :)

"I will still be doing my talk show. I now have a day job and a night job, and with this kind of economy, it seems like everyone is doing that now." - Ellen DeGeneres

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am not so sure about this either. I love Ellen, I am a big fan of AI, and I will miss Paula on AI greatly. However, I don't see Ellen as a good fit for this, but Ellen will probably surprise us and make it work.

DiscoBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Does Ellen have any musical background whatsoever? I know she likes to dance, but come on, where do we draw the line?

It's a genius idea from a commercial point of view, but I think it'll take a lot of focus from the actual singing part of the show.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
She's the ideal choice.

She's well-liked and well-received by the American audience and will bring her observaitonal dry wit to the thing. I find this Dioguardi woman a very poor choice. She's overtly insincere and has to search for words as she critiques.

DeGeneres is just what the show needs.

Time will bear it out.

JustAsking said:
..but Ellen will probably surprise us and make it work.

Goodness knows she's done it before. She's a cameleon JA. :wink:

Last edited:

B_am12388

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
She's the ideal choice.

She's well-liked and well-received by the American audience and will bring her observaitonal dry wit to the thing. I find this Dioguardi woman a very poor choice. She's overtly insincere and has to search for words as she critiques.

DeGeneres is just what the show needs.

Time will bear it out.

Goodness knows she's done it before. She's a cameleon JA. :wink:

I agree with you 100%.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is the most stupid fucking thing AI could have done. I said Idol will never be the same and a lesser show after Adam Lambert left, and apparently the producers agree with me. First of all, love her or hate her, Paula has been on the show since day 1. And even with her departure everything is cool, because with 4 judges last season the performers were given much less time to actually perform, and more time to hear the 4 judges babble on about shit. Seriously, this show is about singing. Not critiquing.

There is no need for a 4th judge, keep it at 3 and let the performers sing more than a verse and a chorus. And picking a judge who really has no musical credentials whatsoever? At least Paula has been in the business her adult life.

This is the same thing as Monday Night Football bringing Dennis Miller into the booth, or Tony Kornheiser. Both were supposed to bring that "comedic" effect and "dry humor" and "wit" to something that didn't need it and they were both disasters. Adios AI.

B_am12388

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is the most stupid fucking thing AI could have done. I said Idol will never be the same and a lesser show after Adam Lambert left, and apparently the producers agree with me. First of all, love her or hate her, Paula has been on the show since day 1. And even with her departure everything is cool, because with 4 judges last season the performers were given much less time to actually perform, and more time to hear the 4 judges babble on about shit. Seriously, this show is about singing. Not critiquing.

There is no need for a 4th judge, keep it at 3 and let the performers sing more than a verse and a chorus. And picking a judge who really has no musical credentials whatsoever? At least Paula has been in the business her adult life.

This is the same thing as Monday Night Football bringing Dennis Miller into the booth, or Tony Kornheiser. Both were supposed to bring that "comedic" effect and "dry humor" and "wit" to something that didn't need it and they were both disasters. Adios AI.

I have to say, I slighty agree with this. Especially the Adam Lambert part. No one will ever top Lambert!

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Does Ellen have any musical background whatsoever? I know she likes to dance, but come on, where do we draw the line?

It's a genius idea from a commercial point of view, but I think it'll take a lot of focus from the actual singing part of the show.

Why not overhaul ALL the judges? Simon Cowell--OUTTA THERE. Randy Jackson--he has a right to be there but HE is dated. Since when has Randy Jackson EVER had a hit record? I actually know that he played bass on the JACKSONS' VICTORY tour. And is a music producer...and again where are the hits? And Paula Abdul...she is a dancer/choreographer...and what is she doing judging a vocal competition? Was her last hit in the early 90's or something? And she really had her nasally voice out there on the AM dial with that damn FOREVER YOUR GIRL album.

That show is crazy.

And Simon Cowell, come on peeps! Has he sang or performed? Does he play any instrument professionally? I doubt so. And what makes him special to judge a singer?

So, now Ellen DeGeneres is a judge. Not really surprised. A comedian judging a vocal competition. :rolleyes: That is hilarious shit right there. I guess maybe when Randy Jackson decides to leave AI maybe Michael Chiarello or Ina Garten'll take his place and judge on American Idol. :rolleyes::biggrin1:

And where are the previous Idol winners? What of their careers?
I have never bought any Idol winners' albums. I don't take American Idol seriously.

Last edited:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
WHAT WOULD MAKE FOR A BETTER AMERICAN IDOL?

OVERHAUL JUDGES and SIMON COWELL. Simon Cowell can be EXECUTIVE PRODUCER though.

HAVE four spins on AMERICAN IDOL:
  • AMERICAN IDOL for the singers.
  • AMERICAN IDOL: MUSICIAN...for musicians.
  • AMERICAN IDOL: BAND...for bands.
  • AMERICAN IDOL: SONG...for songwriters.
For each show, there should be three judges that are able to professionally critique not mock or insult talent. One judge should be one person who was famous but was famous in the past. And the remaining two judges could represent the present and future sound of music. Examples for possible judges of AMERICAN IDOL: 1) Bette Midler. 2) John Legend or Joss Stone. 3) Pharrell Williams/Beyonce or Christina Aguilera.

If the show is AMERICAN IDOL-- all judges should be well-known singers. If the show is AMERICAN IDOL: MUSICIAN--all judges should be well-known musicians. If the show is AMERICAN IDOL: BAND--all judges should be various members of famous bands. If the show is AMERICAN IDOL: SONG--all judges should be a famous songwriter.