Elton John

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

Does anyone find him and the vast majority his music rather annoying but have a few songs that they really like?

I can rarely think of an artist whose music divides me more.

He is truly a great talent, but aside from a couple of really good songs

(Tiny Dancer)
    (Mona Lisas)
    (Your Song)
    (Don't Let The Sun Go Down on me)
    (Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)
    (Candle In The Wind)
    (Saturday Night's Alright)
    (I guess that's why they call it the Blues)

i find the rest of his music to be sort of blah....maybe i just dislike piano based music in general...but those songs listed above are actually quite good, so it cannot be that...

it is rather a conundrum for me...obviously since he made about 8 songs that i find to be rather excellent, but find the rest to be incredibly blah, i have to appreciate him, but why should the rest of his stuff be so annoying and bland?

weird, because generally if i like a musician, i like virtually all their stuff, yet there are a couple who i have these strongly mixed feelings about (Elton John, Madonna, Michael Jackson)

anyone have similar thoughts on him?

2. pym

pym New Member

1975 and earlier.

3. Flashy

Gold Member

i can see that...i was born too late to see him in his prime during my first exposure to him.

4. pym

pym New Member

I never made an effort in my life to go and See him.
    He does figure in the soundtrack of my life though. Many of his tunes transport me back to memories of growing up here on L.I. as a kid.
    Crockodile rock, Saturday Night.....I always thought Funeral for a friend was a killer track too. Anyway i actually own several of his earlier records.....all of em' up to Capt.Fantastic and the Brown dirt Cowboy.
    But honestly.....have'nt played em' in years. After the 70's he became a little too Queeny for my tastes.

5. Flashy

Gold Member

actually, what bothered me most about him was the fact that right around the time when he was no longer vital as an artist, coincided with the rise of MTV, so he was making all these terrible videos and bad songs. I can't blame him as in the 80s the rush to cash in was huge, especially for popular artists who had been ripped of through the 60s and 70s by the music industry.

I think i just saw him at his worst, and never his best, maybe. But i have listened to most of his other stuff even from the 70s, and it just didn't really do much for me.

6. Xcuze

Gold Member

Sorry seems to be the hardest word is definitely a classic. So is Im still standing.

Bruno, the judge from Dancing with the stars is a young dancer in the video. His cock & balls are well on display!

7. pym

pym New Member

8. earllogjam

Gold Member

Yeah, I never really got into his music but he looks like the type of guy with a huge cock. HUGE.

Didn't he do some songs for the Lion King also?

#8 earllogjam, Feb 8, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  9. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yes, but that's not a recommendation.

10. Incocknito

Gold Member

Let me just point out that Elton does not write the lyrics to any songs. The lyrics are written by Bernie Taupin.

Other songs I like are Sacrifice and Can You Feel The Love Tonight (lol)

11. Smartalk

Gold Member

I have seen Elton John twice live and he is truely amazing the first time was on his "Single Man" tour he had the drummer Ray Cooper with him He sang Funeral for a Friend it was awesome. As much as I like him the last time I saw him on TV I realised that his voice no longer has the range he once had. Its at this point artists like him should stop whilst they're at the top. Unlike artists like Frank Sinatra who carried on way after the voice had gone. Best to be remembered at your peak bow out gracefully rather than disgracefully

12. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

I think he's very talented, but I don't personally find a lot of his music all that appealing.

13. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
    I love Funeral for a Friend. And 'Daniel' is a great song. I've seen him in concert. He puts on a great show.

14. justmeincal

Gold Member

Albums:
  15. D_Percival Puddleford Pukehorn

he's definitely got good songs. Too bad his personal ways of being gets in the way.

16. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Let me help you with other Elton that you need to expose yourself to. First, the guy hasn't written anything of quality lasting power for ... almost THIRTY years now.

- Amoreena - Tumbleweed Connection (not hits but filled w/ great tunes)
    - Levon - from Madman Across Water (back-to-back with Tiny Dancer), and VERY underrated/unknown track... which goes back-to-back with Levon is Razor Face.
    you missed the entire Honky Chateau (arguably his best single album)...
    - Honky Cat
    - Mona Lisas
    - I Think I'm going to Kill Myself
    - Rocket Man
    ummm
    - Your Song
    pretty much all of Goodbye Yellow B Road: Funeral 4 a Friend, Candle, The Ballad of Danny Bailey (you'll realize how much Billy Joel's career blueprinted off of a couple EJ albums), All The Girls Love Alice (as mentioned earlier in thread), Grey Seal, Dirty Little Girl, Bennie and the Jets, I've Seen That Movie Too

-Daniel
    also from Don't Shoot Me... I'm Gonna Be A Teenage Idol, Crocodile Rock, Texan Love Song

Rock of the Westies goes a bit too unnoticed... it's got Island Girl, but the opening medley Yell Help/Wed Night/Ugly if pretty f'ing good, and the classic I Feel Like a Bullet in the Gun of Robert Ford, there's another great unknown on that... can't recall if it's Billy Bones.. or Dan Dare... it actually was the last of his string of 6 #1 albums in a row.

Let me know if I can pull soemthing together for ya ...

17. Flashy

Gold Member

thanks face...i didn't miss those good tunes, though...i wrote them all in my post...

(Mona Lisas, YOur Song, Tiny Dancer) i like all those...but i really don't like Rocket Man, Levon, Crocodile Rock...

I suppose i tend to like his most heartfelt stuff such as the tunes i mentioned, but when he tries to play faster tempo upbeat stuff, i find it kind of lame...i think that has to do with how i feel about Piano music...I feel a similar way about Billy Joel...

the piano doesn't really lend itself to less cool artists...it is not a "rockin" instrument...in order for it to be rocking it has to be played more bluesy artists IMO (Ray Charles, Little Richard etc. Jerry Lee Lewis)

18. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Mmmm... there are a bunch of guitar-oriented tunes I listed.... Dirty Girl, Yell Help-medley, Rocket Man turns into a sweeping guitar tune.. ...or horn-based a la I'm Gonna Be a Teenage Idol. But no... just the way it was, as he woulda had to team up w/ a semi-guitar god... hmmm, think Mick Ronson seguing to Elton from Ziggy.... I like it.

Draft saved Draft deleted