Email from my old Electric Company...need for concern?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I got an email from PS&G saying that my online Bill Pay will not be available for a few days in March.

It was sent to my e-mail address but with another person's name. I never used bill pay with them.

I know if I call them it will be a hassle and they will ask me my account number which I don't have since I no longer live in a PSE&G state.

Should I pursue it, or just ignore it as an accidental e-mail?

2. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Call them asap! Tell them what happened and just give your old address and phone #. I smell something fishy, don't respond to the e-mail!

3. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think I'd be inclined to respond, but not by replying to the email. FORWARD to an address you get yourself from their website. Something might be rotten in Denmark.

4. D_Relentless Original

Albums:
    Hi Mem, i ignored my bill from my previous home because i had paid up, gave readings etc. 3 years later i got a bill for 6 x the amount with a court order to pay, the new person never paid his bill and re-registered as me and disappeared so they came after me for some reason, it took months to sort and clear my credit history which had been good. it may be hassle now, but it would be better than leaving it for it to come back and haunt you in the future mate.

5. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I called PSE&G. They were helpful. I found out that the name of the e-mail is the new tenant at my old apartment. I am not linked to the account at all. She asked me if I wouldn't mind giving my last 4 SS#s. They did not match any of the new ones on file.

She gave me an online number to call. It was in India. They were useless and told me to call regular customer service.

Customer service then said it must have been an error and she will put a notation on the account. Must have been a glitch in the system where the address was linked to my e-mail, it should have been linked to the account number instead.

6. Smartalk

Gold Member

Pleased you got it sorted, it's a sad old world where we always seem to be suspicious or on the defensive. Why has it come to this, nothing straight forward anymore

7. Denby

Denby New Member

Keep track of all your communications with them. It might have been an accident but better to be safe.

8. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
Draft saved Draft deleted