Embrace your Race

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by plumbr, Oct 19, 2008.

?

What is your race?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2008.
  1. White/Caucasian

63 vote(s)
    55.3%
  2. Black

10 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. American Indian or Alaska Native

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. Asian

11 vote(s)
    9.6%
  5. Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander

3 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Hispanic or Latino (of any race)

8 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. Mixed

11 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. Other

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. plumbr

plumbr Member

Discuss your race and name one stereotype (any) associated with your race.

2. plumbr

plumbr Member

Starting it off, I am Asian (East) and one stereotype is that we're all members of SPSG.org, use your imagination :wink:

3. trumasseur

trumasseur New Member

Albums:
    It's 2008 and we are "playing" around with the concept of "race" and stereotypes?
    No wonder, no one has posted yet.
    It may not be that "deep" but the "race" is over when we decide as individuals it should be.:frown1:

4. MattXXX

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Members of my race (human) occasionally make silly threads like this...

5. Hellboy0

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm not a very fast runner, so I don't do well in any races.

6. Krusader

Gold Member

Albums:
  7. Snakebyte

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    that's no stereotype, that's a fact.. next try :biggrin1:

8. whatireallywant

Gold Member

LOL! I was thinking something along these lines, like my race is the 5K. :biggrin1:

9. jorpollew

jorpollew Member

I don't yet understand the purpose of this thread, but I've always been intrigued with the topics of race and culture in this country.

I'm African-American. I've always lived in a major urban city and have never been arrested nor part of the penal system. I attended prep school, college and grad school.

My parents divoced when I was 12, and for a while I lived between 2 households-- lower middle class.

I am tall, but do not play basketball. In fact, I play piano-- classically trained, and also a former gospel pianist for several church choirs. (It paid the rent during college.)

I grew-up eating plenty of fried chicken, grits and grandmom's sweet potato pie. I hate watermelon.

I am not a swimmer. I enjoy ice-skating, rafting and low-level tennis (very low).

I am fascinated by medieval stories and Elizabethan culture, as well as African-American history and the Civil Rights Movement.

My favorite writers: Shakespeare, Ralph Ellison and John McWhorter. Favorite sitcoms: Cosby, Frasier and Lucy. Favorite artists: Michael McDonald, Angela Bofill (very ill now) and Herbie Hancock.

Is this going anywhere?
    All I know is that I was blessed to have parents and a childood that afforded me a world of opportunities to explore what worked for me-- and what didn't. By never allowing a stereotype to define me, I open to discover and embrace my race and so much more. I simply embraced the world that was around me-- my life.

10. sasami006

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Asian as well, and you took mine. :)

11. plumbr

plumbr Member

Thanks for responding and accepting who you are as an individual. Race is a social construct but the concept still lies deep within our everyday lives especially in the United States. I see you defined quite a lot of stereotypes from your post especially the watermelon one (that one is just plain silly). Isn't it just silly where people get these stereotypes? The point is to be able to laugh at the ignorant people clutching strongly to stereotypes because we all know they're just a social construct. Am I a Fu Manchu or you a Uncle Tom? NO, of course. :biggrin1: Stereotypes are such BS! One stereotype we can all relate to is LPSG.org, the bigger the better?

I think the reason why we are intrigued is because we're simply minorities. It's knowledgeable to be able to talk about social topics such as race. Some people may just be closeted racists, who are ignorant of their surroundings, and live in their not so diverse towns. When a minority passes by they say, "there goes the neighborhood!" I find them to be bigots and offensive. If you lived in New York, think Long Island! Again thanks for such a productive response because we are open and aren't afraid to talk about such topics.

#11 plumbr, Oct 19, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  12. Cockmo

Cockmo Active Member

Albums:
    im mixed (german, black, dutch, and spaniard) while my boyfriend is british and german.

i use to be so ashamed of being mixed because others made me feel like it was wrong or just downright weird to not be "black or white" or a defined race. people use to stare at me like i was some kind of freak because they didn't know what i was i.e. white, latin, black, etc... but, for some reason, once i started college and finally decided to grow up, i became so proud of who i am and what i am made of. im damn proud to say that i am a bi-racial man and i take from each "race" that i am composed of to make me the unique individual that i am in my family's eyes as well as God's, who i thank constantly for my mixed heritage!!!

13. polesmoker

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    To the OP: Thanks for the mixed option I remember being a kid and not knowing what box to check on standardized tests.

14. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I can check two boxes, It's really not a matter of where you came from anymore, but what you have evolved into!

15. polesmoker

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I will have to remember that when its time to explain it to my son.

16. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I'm pretty colored blind. I don't see color I see the person! That is my gift to your son!

17. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

I'm Italian. The stereotypes are that we are hung, hairy, seductive, fantastic lovers, that we live with our mothers until we are 45, that we are loud and boistrous, that we dress well and ride Vespas. For me, a few of those are the case, you pick which ones you think apply to my.

18. Altitude

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    i'm welsh-irish, scotch-irish, german and danish... and of course there's stereotypes for them all :p

19. polesmoker

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Oh yeah I forgot this was a two parter. Since I am part black one of the biggest stereotypes is I want to fuck every man I see, all the time. Sometimes I sleep.

20. elf

elf New Member

I have to deal with all the usual stereotypes...pointy ears, good at archery etc

Draft saved Draft deleted