Votes: 5 4.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

trumasseur

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It's 2008 and we are "playing" around with the concept of "race" and stereotypes?
No wonder, no one has posted yet.
It may not be that "deep" but the "race" is over when we decide as individuals it should be.:frown1:

jorpollew

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't yet understand the purpose of this thread, but I've always been intrigued with the topics of race and culture in this country.

I'm African-American. I've always lived in a major urban city and have never been arrested nor part of the penal system. I attended prep school, college and grad school.

My parents divoced when I was 12, and for a while I lived between 2 households-- lower middle class.

I am tall, but do not play basketball. In fact, I play piano-- classically trained, and also a former gospel pianist for several church choirs. (It paid the rent during college.)

I grew-up eating plenty of fried chicken, grits and grandmom's sweet potato pie. I hate watermelon.

I am not a swimmer. I enjoy ice-skating, rafting and low-level tennis (very low).

I am fascinated by medieval stories and Elizabethan culture, as well as African-American history and the Civil Rights Movement.

My favorite writers: Shakespeare, Ralph Ellison and John McWhorter. Favorite sitcoms: Cosby, Frasier and Lucy. Favorite artists: Michael McDonald, Angela Bofill (very ill now) and Herbie Hancock.

Is this going anywhere?
All I know is that I was blessed to have parents and a childood that afforded me a world of opportunities to explore what worked for me-- and what didn't. By never allowing a stereotype to define me, I open to discover and embrace my race and so much more. I simply embraced the world that was around me-- my life.

plumbr

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't yet understand the purpose of this thread, but I've always been intrigued with the topics of race and culture in this country.

I'm African-American. I've always lived in a major urban city and have never been arrested nor part of the penal system. I attended prep school, college and grad school.

My parents divoced when I was 12, and for a while I lived between 2 households-- lower middle class.

I am tall, but do not play basketball. In fact, I play piano-- classically trained, and also a former gospel pianist for several church choirs. (It paid the rent during college.)

I grew-up eating plenty of fried chicken, grits and grandmom's sweet potato pie. I hate watermelon.

I am not a swimmer. I enjoy ice-skating, rafting and low-level tennis (very low).

I am fascinated by medieval stories and Elizabethan culture, as well as African-American history and the Civil Rights Movement.

My favorite writers: Shakespeare, Ralph Ellison and John McWhorter. Favorite sitcoms: Cosby, Frasier and Lucy. Favorite artists: Michael McDonald, Angela Bofill (very ill now) and Herbie Hancock.

Is this going anywhere?
All I know is that I was blessed to have parents and a childood that afforded me a world of opportunities to explore what worked for me-- and what didn't. By never allowing a stereotype to define me, I open to discover and embrace my race and so much more. I simply embraced the world that was around me-- my life.

Thanks for responding and accepting who you are as an individual. Race is a social construct but the concept still lies deep within our everyday lives especially in the United States. I see you defined quite a lot of stereotypes from your post especially the watermelon one (that one is just plain silly). Isn't it just silly where people get these stereotypes? The point is to be able to laugh at the ignorant people clutching strongly to stereotypes because we all know they're just a social construct. Am I a Fu Manchu or you a Uncle Tom? NO, of course. :biggrin1: Stereotypes are such BS! One stereotype we can all relate to is LPSG.org, the bigger the better?

I think the reason why we are intrigued is because we're simply minorities. It's knowledgeable to be able to talk about social topics such as race. Some people may just be closeted racists, who are ignorant of their surroundings, and live in their not so diverse towns. When a minority passes by they say, "there goes the neighborhood!" I find them to be bigots and offensive. If you lived in New York, think Long Island! Again thanks for such a productive response because we are open and aren't afraid to talk about such topics.

Last edited:

Cockmo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
im mixed (german, black, dutch, and spaniard) while my boyfriend is british and german.

i use to be so ashamed of being mixed because others made me feel like it was wrong or just downright weird to not be "black or white" or a defined race. people use to stare at me like i was some kind of freak because they didn't know what i was i.e. white, latin, black, etc... but, for some reason, once i started college and finally decided to grow up, i became so proud of who i am and what i am made of. im damn proud to say that i am a bi-racial man and i take from each "race" that i am composed of to make me the unique individual that i am in my family's eyes as well as God's, who i thank constantly for my mixed heritage!!!

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I'm Italian. The stereotypes are that we are hung, hairy, seductive, fantastic lovers, that we live with our mothers until we are 45, that we are loud and boistrous, that we dress well and ride Vespas. For me, a few of those are the case, you pick which ones you think apply to my.

elf

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have to deal with all the usual stereotypes...pointy ears, good at archery etc