Emotional Affair

lpsgnoob

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think I did over-react a bit due to my own past when using the word 'jealous', noob, but I also did not know that she was kissing a married man! That would definitely be physical not emotional, and definitely crosses a big line for me as well.

The OP was reluctant to put into words what was actually going on and skirted around the hurtful truth as much as he could, but I agree, he is best letting her go now. She has done things to the marriage which would be fixable for some, but not for one who feels it deep and close, the way he does.

I will just bet she is kicking herself hard. Her 'friend' is unlikely to leave his wife for her.

I agree with you. I too, thought this is forgivable. Specially if their marriage really was going through a rough patch. But oh well everyone's different.

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think you did right if you truly believe she ought not to have outside friendships. Personally I would never want to be married to someone like you. I made that mistake once, committing without forethought to a jealous person who could not understand that friendship is for all, regardless of size, shape, color, or gender.

He had the nerve to accuse me of 'encouraging' him to have female friends which to him meant cheating! He also hated gays and would not befriend them, spoke evil about my gay friends of both sexes. I am not saying this is how you are, dans, but I wish I had just stayed 'friends' with my ex and not married him, in retrospect.

I think there's a big difference between emotional affairs and having friends outside the relationship. I would respond in the same way as you if it was about outside friendship.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
By the way, what's the point of going and telling someone outside your marriage about your problems. What is he/she a marriage mechanic that can fix ya marriage? Only person you talk to is your spouse and that's it.
As someone who knows what it is like to be involved in an emotional affair, I feel qualified to respond to this.

I don't think either of us hoped the other would fix the other's marriage. Frankly, I think his is damaged beyond repair anyway. Rather, we only hope to make each other feel a little better about the fact that our marriages have not turned out exactly as planned so far.

I have spoken to my spouse about our problems. He's properly concerned, but how can he possibly empathize with me? He has never been on my side of this issue, and doesn't understand. All he can do is keep doing his best. Of course I would confide in someone outside of my marriage about my problems. At a minimum, I'll eventually have to speak with a therapist. Meanwhile, I have confided in trusted friends. In the case of one particular friend who could uniquely relate, other feelings developed. As I said, if he were close enough to be a physical threat to my relationship, I'd have cut off all contact ages ago. Since neither of us intends to end our marriages, and neither of us intends to have physical contact with the other, it seems fine to keep leaning on each other, for the time being. Neither of us knows anyone else who can relate to the issues each of us has in our marriages like we can.

You don't know what you're talking about. You sound like someone who has never been truly challenged within a long-term relationship, and if that's the case, you should refrain from offering anyone any advice or judgment in these matters. If it's true, you lack any point of reference.

D

deleted59763

Hi all and thank you all again.Yesterday went and rented an apartment and saw a lawyer.All i wanted was my 401k.I am giving her the house its contents her car and she keeps the savings.Home and car are paid for so she is pretty much set for a while.Lawyer thought I was nuts.To me all that means nothing without her .I will start over I have a decent job and money really never ment anything to me.Wow in a couple weeks a persons life can go right to crap.So i got to see if she wants anything else,be doing that threw the lawyer.Not to much left,maybe money,wonder what that will be a month?Oh well.Just in case you were wondering what I thought of the other guy,well it took them both and I could say i want to thump him or hate him,but i do not feel that way.I do not know if his wife knows what is going on,and I will not be the one to tell,I dont think i could look her in the eye and know she will feel what I have been feeling,I feel for her when she does find out.The wife has called and said it is over between them,and she is sorry.I have asked why she did it and her reply is I dont know.So to me if you dont know why,then it could start all over again.If I did something like that I would know why,but she will not say.Got to get my head somewhere else.Any questions or answers for me let me know.Thank you all

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
dans, I really don't understand you. You don't seem like you want to end your marriage, especially since when you wrote about your wife telling you she ended her emotional affair, you wanted to know why. That tells me that her reason matters. I really think that instead of throwing away a marriage that appears to be important to you and all the years that you've put into it, you should work on communicating. See a marriage counselor. Even if you don't end up together, maybe it would help you work through your feelings so that you don't feel so damaged by what happened.

You don't know what you're talking about. You sound like someone who has never been truly challenged within a long-term relationship, and if that's the case, you should refrain from offering anyone any advice or judgment in these matters. If it's true, you lack any point of reference.

There's a lot of that in this thread. I would caution the dans to pay close attention to the age and life experience of the people giving him advice before he takes any of it to heart about such a huge decision.

B_Bjen2848

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi all and thank you all again.Yesterday went and rented an apartment and saw a lawyer.All i wanted was my 401k.I am giving her the house its contents her car and she keeps the savings.Home and car are paid for so she is pretty much set for a while.Lawyer thought I was nuts.To me all that means nothing without her .I will start over I have a decent job and money really never ment anything to me.Wow in a couple weeks a persons life can go right to crap.So i got to see if she wants anything else,be doing that threw the lawyer.Not to much left,maybe money,wonder what that will be a month?Oh well.Just in case you were wondering what I thought of the other guy,well it took them both and I could say i want to thump him or hate him,but i do not feel that way.I do not know if his wife knows what is going on,and I will not be the one to tell,I dont think i could look her in the eye and know she will feel what I have been feeling,I feel for her when she does find out.The wife has called and said it is over between them,and she is sorry.I have asked why she did it and her reply is I dont know.So to me if you dont know why,then it could start all over again.If I did something like that I would know why,but she will not say.Got to get my head somewhere else.Any questions or answers for me let me know.Thank you all

woah .. dude, if you're gonna get screwed over by the women you have loved for almost 30 years when you have been good to her .. why would you ever reward her with the house/car/everything? the lawyer thinks you're nuts because basically what you're saying is "hey honey, thanks for cheating on me .. lets take a look at what you won!" if you own it take that shit man .. shes walking all over you!

i think you're just in shock about the entire situation and im really sorry man:frown1:

i think the best thing to do is to just take a few steps back, clear your head, and look at the big picture and trust yourself b/c thats all you have at his point

keep us updated

cock mcgnarly

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well being a guy who just had to endure finding out the love of my life had an emotional affair with her co-worker and ended up sleeping with him i will offer you some advice. you are right to leave her! the emotional attachment has already ruined your relationship whether they are fuking or not. let me put it this way, for me there is no way to rebuild trust with someone who has cheated on me, emotionally or physically. she has been lying to you the entire time they have been seeing each other taking advantage! And is shows how easily it could happen again. If you are in a commited relationship and you either work out the problems with your partner or call it quits before you go starting a new relationship!! Really dan you saved yourself even more hurt by walking away now or you could be in my boat knowing not only did she go get emotionally involved with another guy but he was fuking her behind your back! i will never trust another woman fuk em and leave em before they do it to you. rant over

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

She may get half your 401k regardless of what you give her. Be sure about that before you sign anything over.

When I left my husband, I wanted nothing. Just out. So I left with nothing and then went back and fought over stuff. Not that I wanted anything other than what was my personal things. And that's all I took. He was willing to give me the house and all property until he got mad then he changed his tune. So I told him I wanted him to buy me out...and that meant selling everything. He didn't like that idea either. He got the stuff, I got his 401k, all of it.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Dear dans, take the lawyer's advice, whatever it maybe. Since the kids are all out of the nest it would be wise to assert your rights to an even split of the 'meaningless' things because now you are feeling hurt and number than you will be later. You are still in a lot of shock.

Get to some kind of therapist, just for yourself. Since things affect you so deeply, you are likely to experience a lot of aftershocks from your subconscious even if you think you are handling things and holding up for now. Better safe than sorry; use the professional help you deserve.

EmJay

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well being a guy who just had to endure finding out the love of my life had an emotional affair with her co-worker and ended up sleeping with him i will offer you some advice. you are right to leave her! the emotional attachment has already ruined your relationship whether they are fuking or not. let me put it this way, for me there is no way to rebuild trust with someone who has cheated on me, emotionally or physically. she has been lying to you the entire time they have been seeing each other taking advantage! And is shows how easily it could happen again. If you are in a commited relationship and you either work out the problems with your partner or call it quits before you go starting a new relationship!! Really dan you saved yourself even more hurt by walking away now or you could be in my boat knowing not only did she go get emotionally involved with another guy but he was fuking her behind your back! i will never trust another woman fuk em and leave em before they do it to you. rant over

This is why i praise the maturity and sense of people to seek out professional help from a psychologist or relationship counselor to get themselves back on track emotionally instead of acting out their hurt from their own insecurities to every other living (female) being just because they got hurt bad once or more in their lives.

it doesnt have to take more than 5 sessions to get a clear view of what has been happening and how you can cope with the hurt. People seem to forget that when a relationship ends its because there has been something off between both people...the affair, how dispicable it may be is just the other persons way to relieve themselves from what they are feeling..

Everyone chooses different ways to cope ..wrong or right. But we are human and therefore make mistakes. Whether you choose to forgive or forget is up to you. But to see ones own part in the demise of the relationship ..no matter 'if you have done nothing wrong' is the road of maturity and growth.

Breaking through an obstacle in the relationship like sickness, affairs etc..is also an opportunity that life offers you to grow from it. You can choose to accept it or leave it as is. The point is..that what ever you decide for yourself makes you happier in the end. There are consequences for every choice in life. If you can accept those and feel at ease with them...go for it.

Emotional affairs can either be the last treshold to the end of an relationship..like putting on a coat before leaving. Or they can be a cry for help. Sometimes people know of no other way to make there partners see that they are in pain and that their relationship needs help. Sometimes they cant even admit it to themselves..

This is in no way an excuse for having an affair..it can simply explain how these processes happen.

@Dans:
Like getting into a marriage should not just be about emotions...ending it sure as hell should not be as well..

No matter what good or bad times you have shared. You both deserve half of your assets. The last thing you want is some resentment afterwards because you should have done this or that.. This will only get in the way of your healing process. Put your lawyer to work and have him arrange everything between her lawyer.

if you have always been very black and white in your thinking or have very clear standards on how you like to live your life..then your wife has also known about this ..so basically she knew that if she started something ..it would lead to an end if you found out. She might even have thought this through way before she got into an affair situation. An emotional affair 9 out of 10 times is not about the person she's having the affair with..its about the the two of you and the person who was in the affair.

A good divorce for both of you is all you can look forward to now. Make sure that that happens..

Last edited:
D

deleted59763

Thanks for the advise,some was helpful,but glad to here from all that replied.Things are a mess but am sure it will get better.I want her to have what I said it means nothing to me.I have to meet with my lawyer again next Tuesday.Long as I keep it simple it should not take long to get it over with,I hate long drawn out ordeals .As you have noticed I do not like confrontation's.Do what I have to do.I do not want people on here to think I am some wimp,I am just a good person.All my life I here of people saying if my wife or husband did that i would leave them in a heartbeat,then when it happens they still stay with them and dwell on why they stayed and feel sorry for them self's and never trust their partner again.I do not want that,I want to get it out of my system in a month or year from now,not be with her and feel hatred toward her or say to myself why did'nt I do that when I wanted to.
How many of you that were cheated on feel you should of left but did not?You are making it work,but are you happy as you were before?I do not want that,that is why I am getting it going so quick.Sorry for rambling , thank you again for lending an ear[eye]

lpsgnoob

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
SHE DID NOT CHEAT ON YOU. However, you have let your marriage deteriorate to the point where you are letting a friendship be an issue between you.

Sorry helgaleena, didn't see this one. You were talking about friendships. I realized something was wrong after reading subgirl's post. :biggrin1: I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding, my bad.

As for your ex, seems like he had trust issues and couldn't trust you. Very sad. :frown1:

As for the friendships outside the marriage, I totally agree with you and subgirl.:smile:

lpsgnoob

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
@dans

I agree with the others, don't rush into things please. I been member on infedilty forums and I know the pain you go through and stages. Over there I read so many posts about people getting divorced straight away then 4 years later they will regret the decision for divorcing their cheating spouse. Some of them will realize the pain their cheating spouse going through and they will also realize that there was a problem in the marriage that lead to the cheating. So they try years later to go back and re-marry.

I don't think there is any kiss that is worth more than a 28years of marriage. And like helga said, I bet your soon to be ex-wife is kicking her self for everything she have done.

wish you best of luck.

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
How many of you that were cheated on feel you should of left but did not?You are making it work,but are you happy as you were before?I do not want that,that is why I am getting it going so quick.Sorry for rambling , thank you again for lending an ear[eye]

There is no way you can sidestep the hurt of this, no matter how neat and tidy the ending.

I have been cheated on. The first you realize it is always a shock. Once I stayed because I could not get away for purely practical reasons. Once I stayed because there were children to look out for and alternative arrangements had to be put in place. Once I walked out and never spoke to the guy again that very day. Once I moved out of the bedroom but not the house. But all those times hurt equally as much, I would say.

Give yourself permission to grieve for the ending of something good which has died.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dans. You are acting so quickly. Are you absolutely sure a 28 year old marriage should be thrown away after one mistake? Are YOU so perfect? Why did your wife come to you with her terrible secret? Was she trying to get rid of her guilt, or was she trying to tell you there was a problem she wanted to find and fix?

And if you are sure you want it to be over, if you really can never value marriage with her again, please slow down. Take your time. See how easy or difficult it is to get yourself settled, and make sure you won't actually need some of those assets you want to sign away willy-nilly. Listen to your attorney. Let the professional fully advise you of your rights and responsibilities before you go off signing things.

To answer your question, I stayed with a cheater for almost a year after I found out. I had much less time invested in him (five years) and he had been fucking pretty much anything which moved. Initially, I did want to just break it off, and that's what I did. He fought very hard to keep me, and eventually talked me into seeing our pastor for counseling. Pastor talked us through some things, and convinced me to take him back. Over the course of that final year, I was a lot less trusting, and more jealous. But only inwardly. I was careful not to treat him like a criminal. Still, we just couldn't hold it together. I sensed he wanted to fuck other women, and wasn't sure if I was right or not, but, as you fearfully projected, I didn't want to be the jealous girlfriend anymore. We mutually agreed to stop trying. Then he kept trying for a few years, but I tried to move on.

I do not regret staying. I'll never have to wonder if I had casually tossed out something that had been so precious and delightful for so long. I'll never have to wonder about what might have been. Personally, I prefer to live a life without regret. After five years, I was willing to try for about one year. After 28 years, I might be willing to try for a bit longer than that, or a lot longer than that. At a minimum, I know for a fact I would seek outside help first. Guaranteed.

Last edited:

petite

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dans, you seem to be making this decision based upon the assumption that you would regret staying with her. I was cheated on, much worse than you were, so much worse, but we worked it out and I was so glad. He regained my trust and I believed that he would never cheat on me again. When we broke up years later, I was heartbroken and I believe we didn't have enough time together, we should have had more years together. I know my circumstance wasn't the same as yours, but it simply isn't true that someone who cheats once cannot ever be trusted again or that the relationship isn't worth salvaging. If given the chance to go back in time so that we had more time together, I would do it in a heartbeat. I loved him dearly.

big_gp35

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dans,

My heart goes out to you. My wife had an emotional affair a little over a year ago, and once she realized I had no more proof of what was going on I was also left with the infamous "we just kissed" crap.

I will give you a little background. I had been gone off and on for about a year with military training. Nothing happened as far as I know while I was gone, but then I was home for a 5 month stretch and this is when it supposedly all began. She had a BFF that was screwing around on her husband. I believe my wife thought that seemed exciting after 10 years of marriage and started trying to see what was out there.

One night after going out with the BFF she came in around 3am smelling of alcohol. Myself never being insecure just had a little voice saying check her cell phone (as her behavior for the past 4 months had been very withdrawn from me). I saw a couple things that raised questions. Leaving for a 6am shift at work I took the phone. She called less than 15 minutes after I left to see if I had her phone. I informed her that I had seen some things in her phone, and the phone company was sending me all the text messages (total BS). She then informs me of an older man she had been talking to for the past four months. I was blindsided to say the least. Originally in the phone I had seen where she was texting a 19 year old (my wife is 38) and he told her he wished he would've had sex with her on his birthday and she responded with, "I wish it would've been me too". Her excuse: "I meant I wish I was getting some, but not with him". Then there was a text from my wife to her BFF saying "ask him if he wants my number". Her excuse, "I meant was he asking for my number".

OK, now the older guy. At first they just talked. Then they met in another town when she took off of work and just saw each other at a gas station. I text her from a similar number acting as if I were the older guy and said, "this is my new cell number, your husband filed a complaint and my Captain told me to bring my badge and come meet with him". My wife immediately called to see where I was and I played along and said I filed a complaint and that his Captain was gonna call me after he talked to the guy. My wife then text the number back and says, "Remember, nothing happened". When I confronted her about the text she said nothing happened and that they always said that.

I have struggled over the past year with the should I stay or should I go. I have a beautiful 6 year old boy who is my best little buddy and we are extremely close. I would love to believe my wife's excuses but honestly I don't think any one here would believe her. There was another guys number in her phone that she gave another lame excuse about and then a year later my own uncle tells me she slept with that guy and he knew nothing about the phone calls. If it sounds like a duck then its a duck.

In the midst of the worst pain in my life I met a much younger (26) woman who is an MD and easily makes 10 times what my wife makes (not that it matters as I've turned down everything she's tried to buy me or pay for). This beautiful woman had dated one guy for a month before we met, she went all the way through med school with just her and her dog. I met her on a trip to the virgin islands, nothing happened. We text and talked and eventually fell in love rather quickly, and she moved out the country 3 months later. I figured she would leave and I would just go back to my wife. The funny thing is that she is moving back less than a year later to be with me and start a life with me. In the midst of disaster I found my soulmate.

The funny thing is that after all the pain my wife caused me, I'm scared of hurting her. I know it will be devastating for her to find out that not only have I found someone much younger, but also who is highly educated compared to her and has an incredible body and actually has her head screwed on straight. I'm like you, I gave her everything in the divorce papers but my retirement. She wants me back, and I know she regrets what she's done, but like you I cannot let go of all the little lies that I caught her in that lead me to believe there is so much more that I don't know. I pray we can be the best of friends for my child and give him everything he deserves.

I'm praying for you, and that God guides you to make the best decision for you. There is no right or wrong decision. You do what is in your heart and you will be ok. There will always be pain whether you stay or go.

God Bless

helgaleena

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Big gp35, I feel for you and for the OP too. I don't agree with the ones here who say it is worth trying to mend things. Somebody who isn't willing to work things out and who hides their infidelities has no intention of keeping the relationship strong. Something you feel you must hide from a partner is bound to poison things. Don't do anything you need to hide.

I hope both of you do your very best for your little boy.

D

deleted59763

Wow big-gp35 sounds like you had of rough time also,I sure hope it gets better for you.We all handle things quit a bit differently than one another.And petite ,sounds like you tried and wanted it ,but it was not ment to be.AlteredEgo you tried also.The thing is no matter how hard I would of tried ,I would of had that image of him and her kissing.Although I never seen it happen it would of been there.And as you all know other thought's would and have entered my mind,God it makes a person crazy.

This last 5-6 days has really been hell,the broken heart feeling sorry for myself,yep it's all there,but I will get over it,with lot's and lot's of time.It's funny a lot of people split up and do not feel like eating they lose weight and people will say oh look they lost weight to find someone new,well let me tell you I have never put away so much food in my life as I am now,I think it went the other way for me.I think it may be my cure all,I just find it funny.

I would like to thank you all so much,for all of you that are or were in my shoes I want to thank you for sharing .It's very tough and other people truly do not understand unless it happens to them,which I would never wish on anyone.It took this confident ,proud ,out going ,loving,happy go lucky person and turned me into a piece of insecure crap.But I will crawl out of the hole and be a stronger person than I was before,which is the answer why I want this done so quick.Oh God I am rambling again.If any one that views this and wants to share, feel free it helps .

D

deleted59763

Just an update,wife is letting me keep 401k,I am moving to another state.And actually life is not to bad.A positive outlook has kept me going strong.She and he are no longer seeing each other and she has the house up for sale.I got a different cell phone so I do not have to hear from her,that makes it easier ,going to sign papers tomorrow.Lawyer says this is one of the quickest divorces he has ever done,nice.And if you are wondering why I do not mention her feeling's ,it just feels like she is dead to me,and I want nothing from her at all.Hey thanks to you all