Emotional connections to music?

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So. I don't really know where to start here. Are any of you people emotionally connected to music, or do you just listen to it because it sounds good? Music is purely emotional for me. I listen to the lyrics of every song. My favorite songs are always my favorites because the lyrics and music are so incredibly awesome to me, and they generally mean something. I listen to all styles of music for my different moods. I have some songs that I have a hard time listening to simply because they make me sad - and it's not even because the lyrics are sad, it's because the song was popular at a period of time where something sad was happening in my life, and I heard it a million times on the radio or whatever, so therefore every time I hear the song, I get sad... even though it may not relate to my life at all. Like, right now, I have a hard time listening to "Don't Matter" by Akon... and this is why. A few months ago, I met this amazing guy at work. He was totally hotter than shit, in every way possible. He was amazing. Funny, witty, intelligent... I had a crush on him for quite a while, and then he asked me out on a date. I was totally on cloud 274... quite a bit higher than cloud 9. :tongue: I was in awe, and I was excited beyond anything I had ever experienced with a guy. We went on a date on March 3rd... the date was amazing. He ended up spending the night at my house, which does NOT ever happen for me, especially on a first date! Usually, no matter how much I like a guy, things aren't going THAT well... ya know? So anyway, on our date, the song came on the radio in the car and he told me how much he absolutely loved Akon, and how this was one of his favorite songs. I totally liked it too, it was the first time I had heard it. So anyway... date goes swimmingly, and then the next day I took him home and he said we'd have to go out again soon. Later that day is when I shaved my head for Locks of Love. He lost all interest in me after he found out. Ever since then, I can't listen to this song without thinking of him... I get angry at what he did, sad because I miss him, and I sometimes even question whether or not I should've shaved my head, which is stupid, because I know he's just a shallow jerk and that I did something amazing by shaving my head. But, that's just an example of my connection to music - sorry to ramble. Do any of you feel this way as well, on a regular basis? Music is a constant in my life... it's constantly on somewhere... in my room, in my car... I always listen to music. I don't know what I'd do without it!

biguy2738

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I also find myself being emotionally connected to music. I think that, for me either the mood or the lyrics of the song reverberates with what is going on inside of me and brings to expression things that often times are too deep for me me to be able to find the right words.
When I am in a place of introspection, I often find myself doing so with Annie Lennox's 'Why' playing in the background. 'High' by the Lighthouse always server to be a great pick me up after such times.

I completely relate with with your post. I can't say that I like 'Mr Shallow' very much, you shouldn't regret shaving you hair. Its your body and you alone have the right to decide what you want to do with it. We have a national shav-a-thon in this country to raise funds and awareness of Cancer. My hair was fairly long (just past my shoulders) and this year I decided to do my bit for cancer. Though I do value my wife's opinions, this was one time where she didn't have any say in the matter, and she accepted it.

I guess that what I'm trying to say, is that you have every right to believe that you did something, I know that I did. If people cannot support it, then tough luck - it's their loss.

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's totally emotional and it's the actual sound of an instrument rather than a particular lyric that makes the connection for me (although lyrics can do it as well).It's an enjoyable mystery trying to figure out why,for example, the keyboards in Joy Division's 'Atmosphere' can send shivers down my spine.
An electric guitar can express so many different emotions without the need for words.
As for the shallow jerk,at least you're not wasting any more time on him.You deserve better.

Epistasia

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
In this department I am very lucky. My hubby is a musician/producer and has written songs for me that have an intense emotional effect on me. Even if he hadn't written them for me I think they would have the same effect but to know that I evoke such beauty and that he is able to express it in such detail is quite moving.

Other bands music has mad an emotional impact on me (Tool's Lateralus and for the adventurous Venetian Snares' Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett) but there is a deeper connection to my man's music because I experienced every moment of inspiration that went into his songs.

Brit

B_Kshelby67

1st Like
Media
I am incredibly emotionally connected to music. I find that songs that have few lyrics and are more instrumental to be quite powerful. For example, The Cure's The Loudest Sound can practically make me woosy when I am listening to it in the right environment. The one time I got a speeding ticket was because I was listing to the live version of Radiohead's Ideoteque. I was so into it, I was completly covered in goose bumps and apparently flying down the highway. I had no idea I had been driving so fast.
One way that I enjoy experiencing music is by "watching the colors" as I like to call it. On itunes, Winamp, or WMP, there are visualization windows that you can watch colors move with the music. I am at a loss right now with trying to describe it, but if you shut off your lights, put it on full screen with a good playlist, you can easily fall into your computer screen and feel the music physically.
I think it would be interesting to hear what other artists make people feel more connected, or give them a positive experience beyond an auditory means. For me, the ones that come to mind are Radiohead, The Cure, Pink Floyd, Interpol, Sigur Ros, Joy Division, Velvet Underground, NIN, Bjork, Depeche Mode.....

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Most of my favorite artists (Nine Inch Nails, Ludwig von Beethoven, Fiona Apple, some stuff by Eminem, etc) I like in large part because of an intense emotional resonance I feel listening to their music and their words. Others (the rest of Eminem's stuff, Linkin Park, Rammstien, Weird Al, etc) I'll listen to because it's just dumb fun or the music is catchy. I think a healthy mix of both is ideal, I don't want to go on some intense emotional journey every time I load up iTunes.

taven

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For me it has always been emotional and physical. Even though I'm losing parts of my hearing and can no longer hear some ranges of notes (nor can I stand to play any more...there is actual pain in my ears when I try) I can remember the physical creation of music and what I can hear still causes a memory response as I listen. I can feel (in my mind) the creation of those sounds. I miss it.

LemacST

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sorry to hear that :[ Very shallow of him.

But to answer your question, I listen to music that I find appealing to the ear but I don't actually get emotional connections to it unless the songs applies to a situation that's on my mind while I listen to it. But I guess everyone does that.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like music because you can escape into it. I love to dance and do that regress to primitive man thing - go wild, and I like to sing to music and make believe I'm the star. It's a great prop for a rich fantasy life for me. I don't think I'm emotionally connected to it though. Some songs do remind me of things so in that sense they are emotional.

I like silence too - like when you are in the middle of new fallen snow on a sunny day or out in the wilderness where all you can hear is the wind in the trees - that's a kind of music to me.

My musical tastes are eclectic, so I never understand that question you get during a first date when they ask - "So what kind of music are you into?" "Uhhh... I like a bit of everything Opera to Country Western, and wind in the trees." "Really, uh huh." *as their eyes roll up to back of head*

It's funny how you get bored with some songs and others you can listen to for 10 years and always like. What's with that? I'm a huge Counting Crows fan BTW. Currently I've been listening to the Sugarland album and I am addicted to Jennifer Nettle's twangy voice in that song "Stay".

Big Dreamer

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Very much so. Certain songs will always bring me back to a specific moment in time. The Cure's "Pictures of You", the soundtrack to "The Hunger", a few from Kate Bush, Enya, Telemann's "Water Music"....

You just made me put on The Cure's "Pictures of You" after years of neglecting it. Thank you. As far as music providing an emotional connection....I've been caught teary eyed on the highway more than a few times while a great song took me on a journey. I can't remember it ever being on the radio, as it's hard to time being in that emotional state with the once a month that modern radio actually plays something remotely moving.

Duality

Experimental Member
Media
I promised myself I'd take a break from this board after I let myself get as worked up as I did this morning... but since I first noticed this topic I've been really compelled to post here, and I've been thinking about this question a lot this past day or two to be honest. To put it simply, the connection between the human mind and music has provided one of the greatest mysteries of the world, for myself, for years now.

Despite all my ranting earlier about how much I don't like them, my parents provided me the first bit of evidence that this connection has more to it than meets the eye (ear?). They love The Beatles, and listen to them all the time. I can hear them outside listening to it right now. Why do they listen to it? It takes them back to their youth. Their 'glory days', so to say. It's not they don't remember those days without the music though... is it that listening music they listened to then provides a solid link between the then and the now? I really don't know.

I used to mock my parents for this. It wasn't going to happen to me I said. Guess what? It did. The other day I heard 'People = Shit' by Slipknot and my face was filled with that same damn [SIZE=-1]reminiscent [/SIZE]smile I see on my mom's face when she listens to 'Abbey Road'. And that's a terrible song, by a terrible band (Slipknot), but it doesn't change the fact that it reminds me of my 2nd girlfriend, and the turbulent relationship we shared.

Go here. 91 posts in 3 days, pretty damn impressive for this website and it's largely lurking membership... and there's a lot of musical variety to be had within those posts. And the thread tells the same story as my parents and myself. There's no such thing as time travel, and while I doubt such a thing will ever exist, our mind is at least filled with images of our own past, enough for us to revisit them whenever we please. And music is a great tool to help unlock those images, arguably the best. That's the mystery I mentioned above. Why is this? It has bothered me for years, but in a good way.

The thread I linked to has a ton of great examples:
there have been times when I was down over a girl or whatever else and these lyrics and song were profoundly accurate in describing true heart ache.
This song got my friend over the hump of a wicked bad break up.
it just seems to go with so many moments of my own life.
Past loves, past heartbreaks, the pains of growing up, and so many other things that are so hard to explain just make sense when you listen to that certain special song. It's so amazing to me.

Honestly, I question any individual who says they don't have any emotional connections to music.

I always hear people say they need to be around people with similar taste in music to them. A friend of mine said recently, "I can't stand him, did you know he listens to...!" Earl alluded to this above, and he's right, taste in music is a popular ice breaker for people, yet it seems many people use it as a way to judge another. Why is this?

Personally, I love the idea that the songs I love and listen to are in total completely unique to me. Yes, you may like some or most of what I like, but it's impossible for you to like exactly the same music as I, in the same order. There's nothing I love more than meeting a person, and getting to hear their music, especially when it's something totally different than what I like. I always end up liking what they play provided I like them... it's hard to explain why, but it's a fact nonetheless. And when I go home I almost always tend to start listening to 'their music', along with the stuff I already do on my own. From then on their music becomes a part of my music, and at least in some small part they've affected one of my favorite pastimes.

I'm a member of Last.fm. I used to link to my page here on my old lpsg account's profile, but someone here decided to leave a comment on my page there about my dick, so I took down the link (silly me, thinking the collective userbase here could be mature outside this site's bounds). Regardless, the site is so amazing because it is a visual representation of what I said in the last paragraph. Many people have similar looking charts. But no two people have the same exact chart. Not once, not ever.

Because we're all unique, and our taste in music is no different.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was going through some major self image issues a few years ago (I still have these issues but not as severely as I did then), and would pop on "Spirit of the Forest" by Baka Beyond. I called it "the musical version of Prozac". It could always cheer me up when I was feeling down (and without those pesky side effects...)

Another song that I made a big connection with is Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds". Particularly when I was moving into my own apartment for the first time - that was the song that I was wanting to hear during that time, although I moved some time after the song came out.

And for some reason...I usually don't like Mariah Carey's stuff, but I love her song "Hero" for the lyrics.

I also have a thing for drumming (especially African drums) and didgeridoo music.