"Emotionally straight" but sexually gay?

Cale

Just Browsing
Media
Thanks, everyone, for continuing to post your thoughts and support. I kind of feel like I've been harping on this too long -- basically saying the same thing over and over in all my posts, and getting similar answers everytime. I guess I was just hoping for an answer I knew I'd never get: that there's some way to transform me into the masculine, heterosexual stud I yearn to be.

headbang, your continued enlightening is always greatly appreciated. You are living proof that a gay man can truly be happy in today's seemlingly homophobic society, and that's encouraging.

But maybe that's exactly what my biggest roadblock to true acceptance is: society.

My very conservative family seems pretty damn homophobic, and I'm not sure their reaction to my coming out would be supportive and loving. I mean, sure, they'd feel *obligated* as my family to show love, but they'd still whisper about me behind my back when I came home for Christmas, et cetera. And that unnerves me.

Not to mention all my friends here around campus, many of whom are leading sexually-active heterosexual lifestyles. The very fact I haven't been proactive in that sense has probably already made them suspicious of my true sexual identity. If I come out to them, will they not want to hang around me anymore? Will I be left all alone when I feel incredibly lucky enough to have made the friends I have now?

And, perhaps most importantly, there's the girl. I can't really tell her at this point, "I think I'm gay, so sorry, we can't keep dating. Better luck next time." That'd be putting up a huge elephant in our friendship, let alone the possibility of a more intimate relationship....

Maybe what it all comes down to is that I don't feel tender love and affection for men. My interest in other men is purely erotic in nature; I don't want to date them, and cuddle with them in front of the fireplace. I want to be doing alll that with the ladies. But I won't do that if I can't be fully honest with them at the same time.

I have met other guys my age and younger who have come out and seem happy with their homosexuality. More than anything I admire their courage when I see them, but it also adds more weight onto my shoulders about my own self-denial -- the secret I still haven't shared with anyone, not even my closest friend.

For now, I'm trying not to think about it too much; I have my studies to worry about, after all, and an emotional struggle over this would lead to a decline in my grades.

Again, thanks to everyone who has commented on my dillema; you are a tribute to the true nature of this support group.

joe22xxx: My heart goes out to Cale. I don't want to repeat all the great things that have been said before on this thread. But I'd like to share my feelings about one aspect of this topic.

Although I don't feel a strong physcial attraction to guys, I have more recently been feeling a greater & greater need for emotional connections with male friends. I guess you could call this intimacy, but I'm not sure it's primarily sexual. It feels more like having a close buddy who loves me & who I love. The explicit sexual aspect of this need is more in terms of mutual support. I'm thinking that's why the big dick thing is intense because it allows guys to have some way of relating to each other maybe without penetration, since I, for one, get really uncomfortable with the thought of some guy sticking his dick in me. But having someone who I care about just being physcially close to me is very cool. Like I've said before, I'm not sure if this is gay or not. I think this is such an important topic, I'm really grateful for all the responses.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Can't say that your recognition of need for intimacy would qualify as a gay thing -- hell, that's probably one of the most sensitive things I've heard lately, and I'm sure plenty of people -- male, female, gay, bi, straight -- would give you a nod for your statement.

I was talking about a friend of mine that I made as of late. I met him about a month or so ago at a Democratic rally, and he and his girlfriend, my friend, her boyfriend, and I were playing volleyball together. Now, I hate hanging around couples sometimes because it makes me feel like a loner, "the odd man out." Anyhow, fast forwarding a bit, I gave his girlfriend a hug to say bye, nice meeting her. I shrugged and went for him, too, jokingly saying that he'll get the obligatory hard deltoid pat.

"Un uh," he shot back, "if you're gonna give me a hug, then give me the real thing." I did. In retrospect (and considering the last couple of times we've gotten together), I really appreciated him saying that because that's something you don't get from a lot of dudes -- that sense of openness. Albeit he's a bit quirky, but the guy's really intelligent and put together, genuinely nice, and he's got this sweet sensitivity to him that's attractive in that flies-to-honey way. And I'd take that type of male friend any day over some haughty, overly macho prick bastard type any day.

Speaking of hugs... where's Dizzy Gus at a time like this?

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight

DizzyGus

Just Browsing
Media
I'm here! Lurking like usual. :D

Dee sent me a PM and told me about this thread and I just had to log in and respond.

Cale, the responses from everyone else in this thread are FULL of wisdom to which I will only add that in my experience, the happiest people are the ones that are living their authentic lives...in respect to not just their sexual identity but also what they do for a living, how they spend their time, religious beliefs and everything else. You can't live a lie and be genuinely happy.

If you're still in the dark about what you really want, that's OK. Seek answers, but don't pressure yourself to find them all by tomorrow. There are people twice your age and more who have a fraction of the understanding you seem to so I am confident that you'll either find what you need or it will present itself to you.

As for the affection issues in the last few posts...

Yeah I'm STILL playing grabass with my friends and teammates. :D Still kissing, hugging and generally groping my male and female friends and getting the same in return. Even recently did a quadruple kiss with two girls and a guy friend of mine. A little different but it was fun.

It makes me laugh when I see the way people have expectations of me in that aspect too. I walk in a room and people just EXPECT me to start touching them right away and if I don't they ask if something's wrong. :blink: But a couple of the guys have said stuff like "If it wasn't you, I'd kick your ass." And I respond with "You COULDN'T kick my ass if you WANTED to, plus your girlfriend told me that you said I'm hot." :lol:

Seriously though I like being the one that everyone expects and wants that from. I think that I do some good by being playful and affectionate since 99% of the responses I get are positive and receptive. And I've seen several of the guys start being affectionate to those around them as a result of me being affectionate with them in the first place. I like to think I pushed over the first domino and the rest just started to fall by themself. :D

Back to lurking!

Gus B)

b1988

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Cale,
I had so many thoughts when I read your post that I didn't really know where to start.
In a phrase: I understand.
Chill, you wil be ok. It just may not happen as fast as you would like. A huge plus in your favor is the fact that you understand the longing for intimacy. It is essential. It will help you "follow your nose" and end up where you belong.
You are clearly bright and introspective. These are blessings in the long run, although in the short run you might long to be "fat, dumb, and happy".
Sorry,but I think that it will be a little more complicated for you and it may take a bit of time for the dust to settle. You will be fine.
Sorting out ownership of your feelings vis a vis societal expectations, etc takes a while. Try to be patient with yourself my friend.
The girlfriend (and you) will figure out after a while that she is a friend....but not a lover. At your age a hard dick unencumbered by guilt and socital prohibitions will seek it's target.....
My hunch is that she is not at risk of being that taarget.
Peace

PS....I have struggled with these issues in the past. you will be fine w