End of an Era

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
PLEASE! I'm well past 40 and I wear what I want. I wear tight, low cut, logo t shirts all the time and I constantly am propositioned by 20 somethings. Age is a state of mind! Work out, stay in shape...and wear what you want. (If your pictures are any indication of your current condition, I say wear it!)

i disagree, actually. a woman can have a perfect body but at some point the 40 year old woman wearing little nothing surf shorts and a tube top looks kinda ridiculous at the pta easter egg hunt. part of it for me is that i don't find that fashion to be all that attractive anyway-- i'm more into elegant, sophisticated, and professional and was when i was younger too. in some ways, it's kind of nice being almost 30 where that kind of fashion is more required. there's also an aspect of professionality to it-- most women as they approach 30 and 40 have some sort of career and even if they aren't at work, they should dress in a way that, if they ran into customers, clients, or co-workers, would still make them look professional and put together. it may suck to have to dress to people's expectations, but it's how people are. i just figured this out myself in the last 2 years, and am trying to move beyond the early-20s me who was in art school to the 30s me who is a business professional. i try to keep my arty edge, but in a way that is more subtle.

the other thing is that women in their 30s and up aren't built like teenagers even if they are in excellent shape physically. proportions are a bit different, and since fit is so important in making someone look attractive and put together, clothing that is tailored for a mature woman over a 16 year old will probably look better off the rack.

the other issue for me is that when you're older and you've started to make a little money and find your place in the world, why wear clothing that looks like it cost $5 at Rave (even if it cost $300).

don't get me wrong, i think all women look great in jeans and t-shirts, sexy clothing, a good fitting swimsuit, etc., but they don't work if they aren't flattering, well-made, sophisticated and fit a woman's personal style which should include where she is in her life cycle.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I say wear what you want. Everyone has their own style, though I agree with the consensus that dressing in an overtly trendy way is a bit much when you get older. I don't miss wearing "girl" stuff, TBH. I enjoy dressing like a woman and showing my figure's best assets without looking ridiculous. Something i didn't realise until I saw this thread. I'm now dressing the way I always wanted to when I was growing up. Feels good.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm running into this too, although I thought it was just because I was getting fat! :eek:

Problem is, the "teenager" clothes are more in my budget. I don't have the income of most people my age. I don't even have the income I had 5 years ago! I sometimes find clothes that fit me at places like Target and Old Navy, though - both fit and are in my budget.

And of course, jeans and T-shirts are always good! :smile:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I say wear what you want. Everyone has their own style, though I agree with the consensus that dressing in an overtly trendy way is a bit much when you get older. I don't miss wearing "girl" stuff, TBH. I enjoy dressing like a woman and showing my figure's best assets without looking ridiculous. Something i didn't realise until I saw this thread. I'm now dressing the way I always wanted to when I was growing up. Feels good.

I'd bang you.

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't think I'll ever stop wearing Jeans over any other kind of pants/shorts, but I have noticed that I am wearing polos and shirts more. Sports garb pretty much only when engaged in sports activities.

The one thing I miss being able to wear are the classic black Samba indoor soccer shoes, I haven't fit in them since junior high, maybe freshman year in high school. They only make them up to size 14, I keep looking, just in case Adidas were to add an extra 3 or 4 sizes. Luckily the Birkenstock Arizona classic suedes are still made up to size 49/50.

MCA

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Now, I may not know nothing, but your picture "Picture_1_426" looks pretty damned amazing. Judging from your response, I'm younger than you. I'm also a pretty damned particular guy when looking for a mate. Not that I want to mate with you, per se (but that's another long story).

Still, unless you have pics from years ago in your account, you'd look good in anything (or nothing) based on your pictures.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I know exactly what you mean. Wearing certain clothing can make someone young look older, but wearing something made for teenagers/college kids can make someone older look ummmm even older. I also work as a stylist so have to be constantly aware of who I'm fitting and
what will or won't work for them, in terms of their body shape and their age. It's not about downplaying your vitality or sex appeal, it's recognizing that some things make it look like you're trying too hard - and that's never attractive.
How is it some people go their entire lives without ever figuring this out? I realized in my mid 20's that I look best in classic/preppy clothing that has been tailored to my figure quirks. I love the babydoll tops and dresses which are so popular now; but they make me look like I am entering my third trimester. :redface:

It happens for guys, too, though. I live in CA and we have no shortage of 40/50something guys who would be perfectly handsome, distinguished-looking men but who seem to shop only at A/F and Hollister. I'd like to hope they're all suffering from a passing midlife crisis. :wink: I gave up on Abercrombie and Fitch when I was about 32. I left Rave and Mandee behind about 5 years before that. I prefer clothes that will be able to make it through more than 2 or 3 washings and be wearable for more than one season.

I guess I was in my early 30's when I stopped wearing micro-mini's. I still have the legs for it but came to the conclusion it was just silly for me. Though I can still comfortably and attractively wear a skirt 3-4 inches above the knee.:cool:

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How is it some people go their entire lives without ever figuring this out? I realized in my mid 20's that I look best in classic/preppy clothing that has been tailored to my figure quirks. I love the babydoll tops and dresses which are so popular now; but they make me look like I am entering my third trimester. :redface:

:biggrin1: You noticed that too about the babydoll tops and dresses! I have some tops that are kind of a modified version of that, but I don't think they make me look pregnant, like most of those kinds of tops/dresses do. And it isn't JUST because I have a tummy... I was reading someone complain that those kinds of clothes make just about ANY woman look pregnant!

Funny... although I didn't like the snobby, "I'm better than you because my daddy makes more money than your daddy" part of the "preppy" trend in the 80s, I did like the clothes. They suited my body type then, and they still do.

Now, I don't know about micro-minis, but one way I don't dress my age (and go against the "What Not to Wear" rules :biggrin1:), is that I'm over 35 but still like miniskirts. I don't have long, slim legs but I don't think I look TOO bad in them! :smile:

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i disagree, actually. a woman can have a perfect body but at some point the 40 year old woman wearing little nothing surf shorts and a tube top looks kinda ridiculous at the pta easter egg hunt.

True enough but I think this example is more a case of situational considerations.

DF, if I haven't misread her earlier posts, works around the water with marine animals where a demure sweater set would be equally inappropriate. Active endeavours call for active wear, and if you're likely to get wet, 'dry clean only' isn't a sensible choice.

Even a young woman with the figure to carry off a mini skirt and tube top will look ridiculous wearing that combination to a wedding. (I've seen it done)

B_IanTheTall

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can relate with that. No longer are the days of neon nail polish, purple eyeshadow or blue hair

I hate having to act my age :frown1:

You'll get to do blue hair again when you're REALLY old! :biggrin1:

But it will be a pastel blue, like one of the many shades of Mrs Slocombe's hair (BBC - Are You Being Served), not a shocking electric blue.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I can relate with that. No longer are the days of neon nail polish, purple eyeshadow or blue hair

I hate having to act my age :frown1:

I don't act my age, according to my friends, and they tell me that's what makes me seem younger than I am. Not that I act immaturely (although that could be up for debate) but my outlook on life is generally positive and I don't think good music stopped after I hit 30. :rolleyes: My circle of friends vary in age considerably (several of my friends are 50+) but many are younger than me.

That said, the Billy Idol look I sported when i was twenty would look more comical on me now than it did then. :tongue:

Even a young woman with the figure to carry off a mini skirt and tube top will look ridiculous wearing that combination to a wedding. (I've seen it done)

Absolutely. Dressing appropriately for the occasion makes a bolder statement about one's style and common sense.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
DF, if I haven't misread her earlier posts, works around the water with marine animals where a demure sweater set would be equally inappropriate. Active endeavours call for active wear, and if you're likely to get wet, 'dry clean only' isn't a sensible choice.

Exactly, which is to the point I've been trying to make. I'm not saying that once you hit 25 you have to wear pearls, sweater sets, pleated khakis, and docksiders. Far from it-- that can look just as ridiculous as the aforementioned tube top and surf shorts. As women (and men) get older, they are put into different situations than when they were in their teens and 20s. Dressing to those situations is important.

I also think that as you attain various milestones in your life, it's healthy to want to express that in your personal style. I think one should be proud of the fact that they aren't poor, 20 years old, and spend most of their free time in clubs and bars, so why look like it? We're an age-obsessed culture, and right or wrong, when you see someone who is 40 dressed like a 18 year old going to a club, one gets the feeling that they aren't very comfortable in their own skin. They don't want to be the age that they are, which seems to speak to some sort of insecurity.

I realize that I am somewhat prejudiced because I find teen clothing to be either bland, tacky or both and always have. I much prefer dresses and tailored pants to jeans and tube tops. Also, there's an element of quality to it-- when I have the money to spend $600 on a well-made, tailored suit, I want it to be something that I can wear for more than one season. That's a practical concern.

Agreed. I go to more weddings in 3 months that you'll probably attend in your whole life (unless you're a wedding professional), and I've seen more innappropriate clothing than I can remember (including a groom's father in boxer shorts on the dance floor). The interesting thing is that most of the time fashion mistakes are much better tolerated in young women-- be it chalked up to inexperience or whatever. The 40-something who is shitfaced with her tits and ass falling out of her dress is usually more of a spectacle than the 20 year old doing the same thing-- and whether that's fair or not, I don't know. I think it's just expected that someone who is older will be a little more experienced and reserved. Again, it's also because we are an age-obsessed culture and younger women by default are more desirable than older women. I think it's kind of bullshit, and maybe my whole attitude is because I'm pretty sick of the Cult of Youth coupled with the fact that I'm feeling old lately.

I don't act my age, according to my friends, and they tell me that's what makes me seem younger than I am. Not that I act immaturely (although that could be up for debate) but my outlook on life is generally positive and I don't think good music stopped after I hit 30. :rolleyes: My circle of friends vary in age considerably (several of my friends are 50+) but many are younger than me.

I'd describe it not that you don't act your age but that you're timeless. I know that may sound cheesy, but I get the feeling that you're not essentially too much different now than you were 15 years ago.

That said, the Billy Idol look I sported when i was twenty would look more comical on me now than it did then. :tongue:

This reminds me of something else-- style versus fashion. The Billy Idol thing is, apparently, coming back into style, but in general wearing things that looked good in 1990 look stupid to us now. Call it being a sheeple, but (almost) everyone is to some extent influenced by fashion. I lament that in 15 years the work I do now is going to look outdated to one extent or another because fashion changes, and it's not just limited to clothing.

Absolutely. Dressing appropriately for the occasion makes a bolder statement about one's style and common sense.

In this spirit, I'm going to wear my Hello Kitty jammies to Wal-mart. :tongue:

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Women and men can look amazingly good as they age... if they recognize what does and does not work with their changing bodies... and their changing responsibilities.

Its tragic to me to see the 45 year old men with their hair moussed to a little ridge on top and wearing those ridiculously narrow little glasses...

I kind of miss the era when being a GROWN UP was the coolest thing... dressing well.

You watch a show like Mad Men and see a time when women's and men's clothes were tailored to fit... Dumpy guys made to look elegant and women carrying extra weight looking fantastic.

Today its 4 sizes fits all off the rack crap.

Unfortunately, America today is all about being 20, and being as absolutely comfortable as you possibly can... in public.

And that is not good...

If you don't have a very nice physique... DON'T GO OUT IN PUBLIC IN KNIT SHIRTS AND SHORTS...
Its not flattering.

Don't go shopping in your jammies...

And Uggs? its short for UGGLY.

IF you're an adult, dress like one. In France and in Italy you can't help but notice that the beautiful little villages and cities are filled with beautifully dressed people.
Underneath they look just like American's... but they know what to wear to make the best of what they've got...

And they pay attention to the fact that they are going out in public.... that other people have to look at them... and that they want to bring an aesthetic to social life.

You walk into a beautiful 600 year old cathedral... the acme of architectural and artistic effort... and its full of touring American eyesores...
Uglying up a beautiful space.

We spend millions building the most glorious architecture... and walk thru it in t-shirts and shorts... our bulging flab and purple veins on display...

The greatest compliment my wife and I ever got was that when we spent a month in Italy, no matter where we went, no one ever took us for Americans.

Life is performance art...
Consider your visual impact on others...
Move graciously into fashion suitable for you...
And use a mirror...

lorne

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I intend to try and out youth my future children. My parents were older than most so I figure I need to reverse that and try and be younger. When I listen to music my kids have never heard about it is going to be because they are to new to be actually good. They are going to get my hand-me-downs. And When they finally get around to inventing hover skate boards Im going to be the 50 year old shedding the playground. By then the words will have changed so I will expect urban dictionary and wikipedia to keep me up to date.