End of festivities on Queensday, the Netherlands

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Today whole Netherland celebrates the Queen, what has to be a lovely day with lots of joy and festivities ended suddenly in death.
The bus were the Queen was on was driving through Appeldoorn, when suddenly a black car came from nowhere and drove about 15 people aside untill he crashed against a monument.
Already 4 people are death and a lot are badly injured. It was probably an attack, the ROyals saw it happen, but are okay.
Festivities are ended now. My condoleances too the people over there.

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's somewhat surprising that there wasn't greater security to prevent the driver from getting as close as he did... although the lack of any explosives, etc. makes it seem that this could likely be some kind of psychological case, rather than an act of conventional 'suicide driver' terrorism.

There's footage at the BBC of the whole thing, and one can clearly see it was enough to shock those aboard the Royal bus:
BBC NEWS | Europe | Car hits fans at Dutch royal show

Shocking. I feel sorry for everyone hurt by this lunatic.

It's really wierd and hard to get your head around - seems very surreal. Do they know anything about him yet? - did he have really big probs or something?

Pieter - Doesn't seem to be much coverage no - didn't see the news last night tho, and haven't read the papers yet, so dunno what the response is here yet.
Had he already crashed into some ppl before he drove into that monument? cos the car looked badly damaged already. Insane.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Really sorry to hear about this Pieter, I could not imagine why this would happen in the Netherlands. Are there any ideas as to the reason behind this madness? Surely some fanaticism of ideal is involved here?

The bloke had just lost his job and been evicted, I think?

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Little update: Like Joll mentioned here above, the man had lost his job and had to leave his appartment today. He had the intention to hit the Royal Family. He had said that too the police, but that was all, because he died last night.
Already 6 death people, and about 15 injured.
Shocking videofootage, Flying people in the air and then smacking on the ground, people running at them too give cpr. Shocked.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
Another update: 7 people death now.
The Royals of the Netherlands were the kind of Royals who aren't afraid to get on the street without bodyguards, they went biking with their children between the people. The Queen is someone who insist to have contact with the people, that is why the Royals are so loved by the Dutch people over there. They are very human and 'touchable'.
But after the attack yesterday, things probably going to change... Pitty enough.

Also pitty what I notice here on lpsg, is that when it's not about issues in the US, it isn't intresting enough. Pitty.

Booble

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Royals of the Netherlands were the kind of Royals who aren't afraid to get on the street without bodyguards, they went biking with their children between the people. The Queen is someone who insist to have contact with the people, that is why the Royals are so loved by the Dutch people over there. They are very human and 'touchable'.
But after the attack yesterday, things probably going to change... Pitty enough.

Also pitty what I notice here on lpsg, is that when it's not about issues in the US, it isn't intresting enough. Pitty.

pierterjoke: I think that as we European's are somewhat outnumbered on the forum, we must put up with it.

Still seems like a really bizarre thing to happen. I hope it doesn't stop the Royals from getting among the people without much security. They seem quite gutsy people so I imagine they'll still do it anyway and to hell with any threats - maybe a few more precautions, but hopefully still do things as normal.

I think some of the forums here are a bit America-heavy (politics especially) - but that's because a lot of people on here are American. I think most people care enough about important issues no matter where it's from (I hope!). Certainly in the UK media, coverage is usually based on importance rather than location - I think?! lol.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why one individual that is hurting, '' in this case having lost his job and soon to be homeless '' feel the need to strike out and hurt others is beyond my understanding.

D_Cock_Hudson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My condolences to all those who have lost loved ones. Sadly there have often been people with grudges who seek to do something that will be reported and get them noticed, though as the man died we may never know. I thought of the man who fired blanks from a pistol at our Queen (Elizabeth) about 20 years ago.

The Dutch monarchy (like some other European countries) is the kind I aspire to for Great Britain and I hope this tragedy does not force them into becoming hermits.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Royals of the Netherlands were the kind of Royals who aren't afraid to get on the street without bodyguards, they went biking with their children between the people. The Queen is someone who insist to have contact with the people, that is why the Royals are so loved by the Dutch people over there. They are very human and 'touchable'. But after the attack yesterday, things probably going to change... Pitty enough.

Not true! :mad: :irked: What happend was a truly terrible event. I also recognize this as being beyond uncommon for that part of the world. My prayers go out to the family and friends of those who were killed so senselessly and needlessly. :frown1:

Not for nothing; but there are literally tens of thousands of members from outside the USA that could have responded to this thread and didn't. So don't go getting on your soapbox about how self-absorbed and ignorant we are across the pond. :irked: :mad:

And another thing: Perhaps we as Americans have become blase about a depressed, jobless, recently evicted/foreclosed man going postal and taking out a dozen people as well as himself because it happens almost literally, every week here for the past 2 years. :angryfire2: What is odd about this bloke is that he didn't kill his wife and children, nor did he go back to his prior place of employment and shoot them up. He took out random strangers. :mad::angryfire2:

Last edited: