End of festivities on Queensday, the Netherlands

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_Jared Padalicki, Apr 30, 2009.

1. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Today whole Netherland celebrates the Queen, what has to be a lovely day with lots of joy and festivities ended suddenly in death.
    The bus were the Queen was on was driving through Appeldoorn, when suddenly a black car came from nowhere and drove about 15 people aside untill he crashed against a monument.
    Already 4 people are death and a lot are badly injured. It was probably an attack, the ROyals saw it happen, but are okay.
    Festivities are ended now. My condoleances too the people over there.

2. D_alex8

D_alex8 Member

It's somewhat surprising that there wasn't greater security to prevent the driver from getting as close as he did... although the lack of any explosives, etc. makes it seem that this could likely be some kind of psychological case, rather than an act of conventional 'suicide driver' terrorism.

There's footage at the BBC of the whole thing, and one can clearly see it was enough to shock those aboard the Royal bus:
    BBC NEWS | Europe | Car hits fans at Dutch royal show

3. DreamofJeannie

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
  4. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Shocking. I feel sorry for everyone hurt by this lunatic.

5. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I heard about this on CNN. Was it deliberate? I'm so sorry about it.

Edit: I've just seen the video. It's terrible.

#5 B_Nick8, May 1, 2009
    Last edited: May 1, 2009
  6. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's really wierd and hard to get your head around - seems very surreal. Do they know anything about him yet? - did he have really big probs or something?

Pieter - Doesn't seem to be much coverage no - didn't see the news last night tho, and haven't read the papers yet, so dunno what the response is here yet.
    Had he already crashed into some ppl before he drove into that monument? cos the car looked badly damaged already. Insane.

7. eddyabs

Gold Member

Albums:
    Really sorry to hear about this Pieter, I could not imagine why this would happen in the Netherlands. Are there any ideas as to the reason behind this madness? Surely some fanaticism of ideal is involved here?

8. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    The bloke had just lost his job and been evicted, I think?

9. D_Jared Padalicki

Little update: Like Joll mentioned here above, the man had lost his job and had to leave his appartment today. He had the intention to hit the Royal Family. He had said that too the police, but that was all, because he died last night.
    Already 6 death people, and about 15 injured.
    Shocking videofootage, Flying people in the air and then smacking on the ground, people running at them too give cpr. Shocked.

10. Booble

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Truro Cornwall (UK) & I DON'T LET GUYS SEE MY CAM
    Verified:
    Photo
    This is an appaling event to happen in such a great country with a very friendly kind population.

11. Booble

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It was reported on the BBC both on radio & tv.

12. D_Jared Padalicki

Another update: 7 people death now.
    The Royals of the Netherlands were the kind of Royals who aren't afraid to get on the street without bodyguards, they went biking with their children between the people. The Queen is someone who insist to have contact with the people, that is why the Royals are so loved by the Dutch people over there. They are very human and 'touchable'.
    But after the attack yesterday, things probably going to change... Pitty enough.

Also pitty what I notice here on lpsg, is that when it's not about issues in the US, it isn't intresting enough. Pitty.

13. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

That is truly sad. What a terrible thing to have happen in such a lovely country on the day of such an important celebration.

14. Booble

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    pierterjoke: I think that as we European's are somewhat outnumbered on the forum, we must put up with it.

15. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Still seems like a really bizarre thing to happen. I hope it doesn't stop the Royals from getting among the people without much security. They seem quite gutsy people so I imagine they'll still do it anyway and to hell with any threats - maybe a few more precautions, but hopefully still do things as normal.

I think some of the forums here are a bit America-heavy (politics especially) - but that's because a lot of people on here are American. I think most people care enough about important issues no matter where it's from (I hope!). Certainly in the UK media, coverage is usually based on importance rather than location - I think?! lol.

16. camper joe

Gold Member

Why one individual that is hurting, '' in this case having lost his job and soon to be homeless '' feel the need to strike out and hurt others is beyond my understanding.

17. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

My condolences to all those who have lost loved ones. Sadly there have often been people with grudges who seek to do something that will be reported and get them noticed, though as the man died we may never know. I thought of the man who fired blanks from a pistol at our Queen (Elizabeth) about 20 years ago.

The Dutch monarchy (like some other European countries) is the kind I aspire to for Great Britain and I hope this tragedy does not force them into becoming hermits.

18. Principessa

Gold Member

#18 Principessa, May 3, 2009
    Last edited: May 3, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted