England goes overboard on political correctness

edonline

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Shopkeeper told to stop putting jokes on adverts - Telegraph

Shopkeeper told to stop putting jokes on adverts

A shopkeeper has been told he faces prosecution unless he stops putting jokes on leaflets advertising his store over Christmas.

By Chris Irvine

Last Updated: 7:56PM GMT 18 Dec 2008

Bob Singh, 36, has been adding jokes to his promotional leaflets for more than 10 years at his Landmark store in Port Talbot, south Wales.

But police officers turned up at his general store to offer "appropriate advice" and warned he could face prosecution for breaching public order if he did not stop.

Mr Singh has been left baffled by the police intervention as he claims the jokes contain no bad language and are not racist. He admits some were "a bit saucy".

He said: "We've been doing this for years and I've never had a problem until now.

"I get the jokes off the internet. They don't target any person or gender and there's no bad language.

"I couldn't believe it when three police officers turned up and said someone had contacted them about the leaflet because they didn't like it."

Mr Singh put a sign in the front window saying: "We would like to apologise to anyone who may have been offended by the contents of our Christmas leaflet. In future we will try to be more politically correct."

He has also started a petition for customers to sign - to say they were not offended by his jokes.

He said: "I am doing as much as I can to apologise to anyone who might have taken offence - but I don't know who they are.

"But it's just mad. Someone has taken it a bit too far."

South Wales Police sergeant Simon Merrick said: "The content of promotional material which has been distributed in the area has been brought to our attention as being potentially inflammatory and offensive.

"The distributor has been appropriately advised and instructed to withdraw the leaflets from circulation."

Some of Mr Singh's jokes include:

:: What is the technical name for three days of horrendous weather followed by bright sunshine? A Welsh Bank Holiday!

:: What do you call a sheep with no legs? A Cloud!

:: What do you get when you cross an elephant with a rhino? El-if-i-no!

:: What do you call a deer with no eyes? I have No-I-Dear.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I suppose if even one person makes a complaint they follow thru on it. Sounds a bit far off if you ask me.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
COUNTRY OVERBOARD!!!

I'll start pulling emergency pints. You draw and quarter this stupid fucker and we'll decide over drinks if there's anybody else to do in over fucking idiot stereotypes! Here's my hand, here's my heart...

Well, as one of our posters may (and has previously) point(ed) out, England <> Wales, although evidently it's equally infested with such nonsense.

The Police are neither the arbiters of 'public good taste and/or humour' nor empowered to 'determine' the legality (or not) of and prevent the publication of such 'jokes'. They are empowered to investigate, gather evidence and make a case to the CPS - who will in turn decide if there is a case to answer.

I sincerely doubt such a case would ever come before the bench - unless offending the sensibilities of non human mammalia has recently become illegal? The Police appear to be acting within the law here, even if rather over zealously. Sad, but hardly groundbreaking.

I hope I'm never trapped in a lift with the types who would take offence at such 'humour', who must surely be multi-rectal.

edonline

LPSG Legend
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Errr, England?? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I meant to type "UK" or "Wales" but wanted to get the subject in there and after I hit post, it was too late to change. And certainly not all of the UK should be judged by the actions its Welsh people, some of whom apparently have no sense of humor. :wink:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The jokes were lame not offensive. :rolleyes::tongue: They are also as old as the hills. The kind of stuff one might expect to see in a childrens joke or riddle book. I think the officers who 'warned' him need to dial it back a notch.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The jokes were lame not offensive. :rolleyes::tongue: They are also as old as the hills. The kind of stuff one might expect to see in a childrens joke or riddle book. I think the officers who 'warned' him need to dial it back a notch.

Yes they were!

I don't blame the Police especially in this case, they are under pressure to act on such complaints, however spurious. Although any officer with any ounce of sense should have advised the complainant to be realistic about expecting any outcome.

With that in mind, at face value, I think the shopkeeper caved far too easily, but of course, who knows what any 'back story' may be. Nice to see the spirit of Christmas is alive and well.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Yes they were!

I don't blame the Police especially in this case, they are under pressure to act on such complaints, however spurious. Although any officer with any ounce of sense should have advised the complainant to be realistic about expecting any outcome.

With that in mind, at face value, I think the shopkeeper caved far too easily, but of course, who knows what any 'back story' may be. Nice to see the spirit of Christmas is alive and well.
Perhaps we should send the popo around one more time to caution him that he needs to hire some better writers. :D :biggrin1: