english accent

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Well, they're both island groups but beyond that similarity, you're on your own!:biggrin1:

Geez, thanks Dong!
I used to think you were a nice guy,and like you too!:eek::biggrin1:
Hmmph!:tongue:
fireman,is "yer" the same as yeah? Hurry up and get that webcam,so I can hear your voice! :naughty:
cigarbabe:saevil:

EdWoody

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have a generalized North-West Lanchashire accent. I'm from Preston, but neither of my parents are, so I don't have a full Preston accent. In fact a proper Prestonian once said to me, "Yer talk reet posh you, durn't yer?"

After Preston I moved to Sheffield, then Manchester, so my accent was slightly muddled. But now I live in America, and I'm still English enough to come across as refined and intelligent and upper-class to Americans, who know no better.

Having been in the US for almost 8 years though, I have found myself picking up many Americanisms - not accent necessarily, but vocabulary certainly.

Having an English accent is always enough to get you attention in the US - plus being uncut. Also, it's handy if I get caught doing anything inappropriate - I can always just play the "dumb tourist" card and get away with it.

hotguy8884

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Accents are totally sexy. I don't know why.. they just are.

Australian accents.. OMG, don't get me started.. Just throw me down already. <3

Rob <3

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I know that posh means fancy
(is this different than received pronounciation?)

Port Out Starboard Home. I understand that when the upper classes sailed to the far east they wanted a stateroom that faced away from the sun. Hence, the people with the most status could pull a cabin on the shady side of the boat.

Or is this an urban legend?

SurferGirlCA

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i no people say english accents are sexy but i dont realy have a posh one
i speak more cockney does that still count as sexy

what are your fave accents

Yes, it still counts! Actually, I work in the UK now and then, so I've gained a better understanding of the variety of accents there. I think a lot of Yanks just think "English accent" the way a lot of people think there is one "southern accent" in the US.

~quicksilver~

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
1. Northern English accents (esp Yorkshire, but Geordie, Liverpool and Manc are good too.)

2. South Irish

3. Edinburgh

4. Certain Southern States (ie. Matthew McConaughey yes, George W no)

5. Aussie (depending, some are camp and annoying)

6. Russia

Ldnn

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No_Strings is rather pleasant to listen to. He could say that most disgusting, heinous things and I would still find them to be the height of charm.

I have what has been called a RP accent - think of a deeper version of Hugh Grant I suppose (although I vehemently deny it), but manage to get away with the very same thing snoozan mentioned. There seems to be something about insulting (even gently or "poking fun") someone with my accent which seems to make them either think I either didn't say what I said, or they laugh along with the joke at their expense due to my cheekyness.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Port Out Starboard Home. I understand that when the upper classes sailed to the far east they wanted a stateroom that faced away from the sun. Hence, the people with the most status could pull a cabin on the shady side of the boat.

I had learned it as Port Over, Starboard Home, but in reference to trans-Atlantic crossings originating in England because the south facing cabins were desired. Natural light = less use of lamp oil = less smoke in the cabin.

Then again, I believed the explanation for "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" had to do with cannon balls. Damned C.A.N.O.E.

We could google it but where's the fun in that?:tongue:

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Personally, Vicky Pollard has the sexiest chav accent. Don't believe me? Yeah, but . . . well, but. . . . Just click hear: YouTube - Vicky Pollard Hotcall

And don't be givi'n me no evils!

Midlifebear! That was one of the funniest videos I've seen in a long time!
Hilarious! I totally love her accent.
cigarbabe:saevil:

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I want to know what Drifterwoods accent is like............................................................

HOLY CRAP!!
I HAVE A CRUSH ON DRIFTERWOOD!!!!
NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MattBrick

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Hi there.
Posh in America just means luxorious
In England, Posh has a broader usage, and can mean upper class

What I meant to say was : I know that in England a Posh accent means fancy English - or an upper class accent.

Posh as in refering to an accent, or talking posh, doesn't mean anything in America. It's not a term we use that way. It refers only to a certain English accent.