english accent

MattBrick

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, it still counts! Actually, I work in the UK now and then, so I've gained a better understanding of the variety of accents there. I think a lot of Yanks just think "English accent" the way a lot of people think there is one "southern accent" in the US.

I'm not sure people think that there is just one English and one southern accent - but people understand when they hear one of them what they are.

London_Calling

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I was born in the East End of London and grew up as a kid speaking with a cockney accent but at age 11 I was sent to a private school where all the boys spoke with a 'posh' accent so I tried to adapt to fit in. Because of that I've got bit of a strange accent even now. Half the time people I speak to don't even think I sound English which is a bit scary! :eek:

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
. . . it's handy if I get caught doing anything inappropriate - I can always just play the "dumb tourist" card and get away with it.

This was true for me when I lived in Kentucky for six years. Once I was stopped by a police officer for driving through the parallel parking spots on the side of the road. I acted shocked and told him, "In North Carolina, the parallel parking is marked with painted lines on the road. That's why I didn't know I was driving through parking spaces."

Of course it was a lie--I was trying to use that lane to get ahead of a very slow senior citizen--but he bought it. Result? No ticket, not even a written warning.

Back to accents: I can appreciate most accents except those that contain mumbles, swallowed sounds, or de rigeur asinine posturing.

NCbear (who likes best of all the northern Virginia old money accent, expressed best by the character "van Pelt"--"the President's National Security Advisor"--in the movie version of The Hunt for Red October)

Media
My thoughts:
English accents (from the perspective of a foreigner) are sexy : on women
The guys sounds kind of dweeby - sorry guys

As for men, many of the accents from the American south sound affable, open and manly to me. I would be glad to talk like that.

As for me though, I come from the same town as Joe Pesci, if that gives you any indication.

You're saying that from the point of a heterosexual male. You may as well say the same about bras.

Give an American woman the choice to talk to an English person or you and in most cases you'll see her get fizzy knickers with the limey.

Adam875

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
lol cockney.

Boltonian accents are the best. Its also a little known fact that Boltonians have the largest penises of all the peoples of all the worlds that have existed, do exist, and might exist in the future.

:smile:

They must be bolted on, then. That can be the only explanation.

When I've been over in the US I've often got the comment (from men, too): "Gee, I like your airc-cent! It's reel cute". I suppose I speak the RP (Received Pronunciation) type. By & large, BBC presenters and announcers use this, but of course you can hear all regional accents and dialects too (lots of Scots!). Yes, Jamie Oliver is a good example of "Estuary".

johnson1000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
i dont have a regional accent- thank god because i live in Norfolk (UK) and the accent here is hilarious. so people say that i do sound posh. hasnt attracted anyone yet but i have heard that foreign people like it, is this true, is it worth a trip abroad?lol.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
i looooooove all types of accents! my faves are english, irish, and australian. i'm american so the way we speak here doesn't really do it for me. give me a guy with one of these accents any day and i'll be fired up and good to go!

Adam875

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
i dont have a regional accent- thank god because i live in Norfolk (UK) and the accent here is hilarious. so people say that i do sound posh. hasnt attracted anyone yet but i have heard that foreign people like it, is this true, is it worth a trip abroad?lol.

Great place, Norfolk. And great accents, too. Being spoilt these days, though, by the invasion of well-looted Londoners with yachts and arty-farty accents. But if there are lots more like the great johnson1000 it could also be the s/s centre of the UK ... and earn LPSG 5-star status.

And BTW, johnson, yes - do head off to the US ... they really do appreciate a bit of decent Brit-talk.