Enough with the headline regurgitation!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by HazelGod, Mar 30, 2009.

1. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Seriously, stop it already.

There are plenty of headline news aggregation sites already in existence. Why are you trying to turn LPSG into another one?

If you read a news bit and feel it worthy of discussion, then by all means post it here...but quit blind-pasting shit. Explain why you think it's relevant to the members of this site. Talk about why you feel it's important. Open the dialogue. SAY SOMETHING. Anything to let us know there's actually a brain at work, and not some mindless bot that only knows how to copy/paste.

2. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

3. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

I see nothing wrong with members reporting current events or news stories and find it interesting and so do many others.

4. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

What he said.

5. Steve26

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wouldn't say the "headline regurgitation" threads really bother me. I get my news from more traditional (non-LPSG) sources so I generally ignore them.

I have a sneaking suspicion that people start these threads mainly to inflate their post count ... which I consider fairly lame. But to each his/her own.

Steve

6. novice_btm

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner!

I don't have a problem with people wanting to discuss something that they find interesting, but I think just copy-and-pasting an article, with a half-sentence comment, multiple times a days, warrants a, "Please step away from the keyboard..." comment. :rolleyes:

7. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

That and the one word game posting stuff!
    C.B.:saevil:

8. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    The one word game threads don't bother me because they are in their own forum. (Funny stuff). I have to agree with Hazel in that just posting an article with no comment from the OP is lame. If you deem it important or interesting, tell us why.

I suggest that in any future renovation Rob may make to the site, that there be a sub-forum for these posts. Call it "News of the day" or "Oddly Enough"

9. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Idea for new forum: Tragic Human Interest Stories Sure To Depress.

10. Principessa

Gold Member

If you don't like the title, then don't read the thread. :mad:

Frankly I am disgusted by the pseudo pervy, borderline incest stuff that many on this site LOVE! If I have to see one more thread about lusting for ones step-dad, uncle, cousin or sisters boyfriend I swear to God I'm gonna PUKE. :puke:Just when I thiught I'd seen the worst we get this: http://www.lpsg.org/128226-daughter-seeing-and-bragging.html

11. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    I often don't.

I'm just getting a bit tired of having to sort through the ever-increasing levels of noise around here in search of anything remotely worthwhile to discuss. Which is why I visit this site. Interaction. Conversations with other thinking human beings.

If I want a recap of current events, I'll go to Fark. At least their headline summaries are creatively amusing.

I LOL'd at that...thanks! Stupid cunt. :tongue: You'd make a damn fine deskbunny for The Onion.

#11 HazelGod, Mar 30, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  12. Principessa

Gold Member

Take it up with the mods I'm sure they can invent another rule to please Lord HazelGod and his Court.

13. nudeyorker

Gold Member

In all fairness to the OP and others here. I like everyone here seem to be deluged by headlines everyday. Some of these stories may or may not have any discussion value. I read CNN.com and NY Times everyday and some of the news is just that the news and there really is no merit for discussion.
    When there is I think it is the responsibility of the person who creates the thread to offer a viewpoint to discuss.
    As an example from something that I read today. Charles Manson and other members of the Manson family have been in prision and are growing older and feel that they deserve parole. If I were to start a thread I would ask the pointed questions that merit discussion. Do they deserve parole? What are your opinions regarding the fact that they escaped death row? How do you think these parole hearings effect the family of the victims?
    This forum is about discussion, but when we see something that we have already read in the paper or watched the story on television...with out direction for discussion it most likely will fall flat as a discussion topic!

14. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

Why be so selective? Let's just scrap the show off threads, the insecurities of some posters creeping up through validation of size, spotlight threads, fictitious stories, and recommendations for anal lube while we're at it.

Until then, keep scrollin', cat daddy. No one's forcing you to read anything.

15. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I've already weighed in on this topic.

16. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

I believe that many of the members here could take a headline and generate a thoughtful discussion from the basis of the headline. Of the multiple posts in the entire LPSG site, Etc., Etc., surely draws the most creative of contributions.

Dunno, just my 2 cents. I would like more material in this forum instead of less. Keep it comin, NJQT.

17. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hazel who?? :cool:

18. D_Portelay Porquesword

This place is a big dick picnic. I write a blog about spiritual matters and the issues I face as a human being. I don't see world class literature here either. You fit things in where you feel it best to do so.

I simply don't read things I am not interested in or contribute when I don't have anything positive to say.

Draft saved Draft deleted