Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I’ll begin this by saying I’m 5’9, 5’10 on a very good day.

I’m 20 years old, and I feel like everyone is getting taller and that I’m getting left behind. I don’t know why I’m so envious of people taller than me, from what I understand I’m exactly average in terms of height and literally half of the people I see will be taller. The one thing that I’m really afraid of is the average height for younger people increasing, it’s irrational and stupid and it makes me feel sad.

It’s totally a vanity thing by the way, I know logically that the world doesn’t really change if you’re 4 inches further from the ground or not, but it still bugs me, especially when I see younger kids taller than me :(

I’m sorry for the rant, I needed to let this out somehow so… yup!

RainbowStrength

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm the same height as you. In America (where I am), 5'9" to 5'10" is the average height range. I'm one of the tallest in my family (average height in my family is 5'2"), so I've always been pretty content with my height but sympathize with your situation all the same.

For me, though I am content with my height, I often find myself feeling shorter than I actually am. Our eyes are about 5 inches or so from the top of our head, so we perceive our own body 5 inches below our actual height. Thus, when we look at others, the height difference we perceive is much greater than reality.

One thing that has helped me is to Google celebrities who are the same height as me. You'd be surprised at how many "sex symbols" are 5'9" and 5'10". Plus, you're able to see just how tall that height really is. That won't stop jerks from trying to put you down for being below 6 feet, but it will help your own perception of yourself, which in turn will help you realize just how ridiculous everyone else is for putting down men just because they're below 6 feet.

D

deleted2923261

I’m 20 years old, and I feel like everyone is getting taller and that I’m getting left behind. I don’t know why I’m so envious of people taller than me, from what I understand I’m exactly average in terms of height and literally half of the people I see will be taller. The one thing that I’m really afraid of is the average height for younger people increasing, it’s irrational and stupid and it makes me feel sad.

It’s totally a vanity thing by the way, I know logically that the world doesn’t really change if you’re 4 inches further from the ground or not, but it still bugs me, especially when I see younger kids taller than me :(

Don't wanna sound corny or trite, but, as the great Billy Joel crooned, you're beautiful "just the way you are."

Tattletale

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm the same height as you. In America (where I am), 5'9" to 5'10" is the average height range. I'm one of the tallest in my family (average height in my family is 5'2"), so I've always been pretty content with my height but sympathize with your situation all the same.

For me, though I am content with my height, I often find myself feeling shorter than I actually am. Our eyes are about 5 inches or so from the top of our head, so we perceive our own body 5 inches below our actual height. Thus, when we look at others, the height difference we perceive is much greater than reality.

One thing that has helped me is to Google celebrities who are the same height as me. You'd be surprised at how many "sex symbols" are 5'9" and 5'10". Plus, you're able to see just how tall that height really is. That won't stop jerks from trying to put you down for being below 6 feet, but it will help your own perception of yourself, which in turn will help you realize just how ridiculous everyone else is for putting down men just because they're below 6 feet.
I went to that Celebrity Heights website, and I was surprised to see how many people were in that category to be honest. Heck, even my celeb crush was my height!

RainbowStrength

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I went to that Celebrity Heights website, and I was surprised to see how many people were in that category to be honest. Heck, even my celeb crush was my height!
Right?!?! Same here, lol. I have a couple of celeb crushes who are the same height as me. Crazy thing is that I always imagined them being way taller than I am, but no, we're the same height.

Tattletale

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
:D:D:D:D
Right?!?! Same here, lol. I have a couple of celeb crushes who are the same height as me. Crazy thing is that I always imagined them being way taller than I am, but no, we're the same height.
I’d reckon they use like, super tall shoes on Hollywood or first screening events. Still, so cool to know that Dylan O’ Brien is in the same height as me! :D

Reactions: RainbowStrength

goodandbed

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
I'm 195 cm (which is about 6 foot 5) and I feel this kind of envy too when I see people taller than me. But most of the times I just hate being tall (and most tall people I know feel the same as I do too) because it's just hard to squeeze yourself into places and mind your head all the time. I can also tell you that taller people have to work harder in order to gain weight and muscle (most of us anyway) and most short(er) people can reach their body goals quite faster. Embrace yourself for who you are :)

Tattletale

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I'm 195 cm (which is about 6 foot 5) and I feel this kind of envy too when I see people taller than me. But most of the times I just hate being tall (and most tall people I know feel the same as I do too) because it's just hard to squeeze yourself into places and mind your head all the time. I can also tell you that taller people have to work harder in order to gain weight and muscle (most of us anyway) and most short(er) people can reach their body goals quite faster. Embrace yourself for who you are :)
Yeah, I get it, it’s my vanity speaking to me, and I hate it so much. It’s like my brain always wants something more. I bet if I suddenly grew five inches overnight, I’d find something else to want and envy :(

Is this somehow related to the human condition or something? To always want more and more?

Capitolhillguy

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have a good friend who is only attracted to guys your height and shorter.
Runway models are giants, but most physique models and underwear/ speedo models are exactly your height as your proportions are by and large much better. 5'9 is the typical height for white men in the US or thereabouts. In Holland it is around 6'. Most TV actors are about your height as you fit better in the TV frame.

goodandbed

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
Yeah, I get it, it’s my vanity speaking to me, and I hate it so much. It’s like my brain always wants something more. I bet if I suddenly grew five inches overnight, I’d find something else to want and envy :(

Is this somehow related to the human condition or something? To always want more and more?

It seems like an underlying issue that you should talk about with a professional. It's good that you're able to put your finger on it an see the issue but it would be even better to go and take care of it so it won't turn into something much more intense.

I went over your profile, you seem to have nothing to be jealous of anyone - but I have no idea how you see yourself in the mirror or what your earlier years looked like. You're great the way you are, really - if that makes any difference :)

Tattletale

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
It seems like an underlying issue that you should talk about with a professional. It's good that you're able to put your finger on it an see the issue but it would be even better to go and take care of it so it won't turn into something much more intense.

I went over your profile, you seem to have nothing to be jealous of anyone - but I have no idea how you see yourself in the mirror or what your earlier years looked like. You're great the way you are, really - if that makes any difference :)
I’m actually seeing a therapist about it, she’s been really helpful to be honest! And yeah, that’s me one and a half week ago :D she told me that working out will both help my self-esteem and reduce the negative thoughts from coming up in the surface

Noah Hart

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
As someone 6ft 3 I hope you can believe me when I say it’s really nothing special, people certainly convince themselves that in order to be perceived attractive they have to have a gargarean frame. If that were true most of Hollywood’s most coveted men would be cast aside. While numbers aren’t the first thing you look for when seeking confidence statistically your of average height. Anybody who is shallow enough to judge you purely of height isn’t worth your time - while you may not have the height of a supermodel your body is fantastic, I’d go as far as to say it’s much more attractive as not only is it beautiful to look at it also shows your strength of will. it’s hard but being able to rely upon that more oftern will help you when you feel self-conscious.

HunginLondon

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
You could be your ideal height but then you'd feel insecure about another trait as that's the way it tends to go. And don't assume others are happy with what you perceive as ideal, either. I worked with a guy who seemed perfect physically but who one day told me he was deeply insecure and very unhappy. I'd say that when you walk past someone who you compare yourself against, they will inevitably have something they are unhappy about, too.

rob148

Experimental Member
Media
Hey guys, long time lurker. As much as there's pro's to being tall, I'm 195cm tall, it definetly has its cons. Clothes shopping, always so hard finding items long enough, shoes usually stop at size 11 (46) in the UK. Any form of travel on public transport, its just not made for us tall peeps. Door frames, beds, sofa's... the list goes on! Just embrace who we are and learn to love what we have! Defo no need to be envious bro's x

Noah Hart

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Hey guys, long time lurker. As much as there's pro's to being tall, I'm 195cm tall, it definetly has its cons. Clothes shopping, always so hard finding items long enough, shoes usually stop at size 11 (46) in the UK. Any form of travel on public transport, its just not made for us tall peeps. Door frames, beds, sofa's... the list goes on! Just embrace who we are and learn to love what we have! Defo no need to be envious bro's x

Can confirm - Beds and the tube fucking suck

Celeb64

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
You shouldn't mind taller guys.

It's really hot to have someone pick up and carry you, tower over you, remind you you are a little guy. It can be especially true if the guy is younger and more fit.

Reactions: lttle1

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm the same height at 5' 9" (and even that is only if I stand at military erectness) which I've always felt is short for a man. While I've never been obsessed with it to the point it has caused issues, but I have felt mild insecurity at times when around other guys who are closer to 6 foot or more. Although since it has proven that height (as well as a lot of other things) does not predict penis size; being less than 6 foot does not seem all that tragic sometimes :).

While all the men on my side of the family have been the same smaller stature, my wife comes from the opposite end where all the males are more than 6 foot and even the women are taller than the average (she is 5' 7" so even when I stand next to her it seems there's not much difference between us). Our sons have obviously got her genes, being well over 6 foot and standing next to them makes me feel small at times.

I don't know how much of the theories about taller guys having more success with women, in the workplace or when dealing with others is true. While I'd like to think individual personalities and talent count for more (there are after all actors and CEOs even shorter than me), yet at the same time I can't help wonder if not being taller has worked against me in some instances throughout life.

I guess it all comes down to people are just different and accepting that which can't be changed. Or just maybe they are right in that all the chemicals and hormones in foods and the environment are responsible for earlier growth spurts and height and some of us have just not been eating or breathing the right stuff :laughing:.

aldawg

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay

I just read where Tom Daly is 5'10"....they don't get any sexier or cuter than him....just sayin'.....

colm84

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
OP you have a nice dick so be happy with your body. 5ft9/10 is not short anyway. If you are straight then this will still leave you taller than 95%+ of women anyway.

When you think about it there is very little percentage difference between short and tall anyway. 5ft8 or under is short. 5ft9 to 6ft is average and 6ft1 or above is tall where I am l. The difference between 5ft8 and 6ft1 is only 7% yet you go from short to tall. Compared with other parts of the body like penis or even weight, there is very little deviation in height

PS don't go on a trip to Holland, you will feel shit.

Reactions: lttle1