Epiphanies

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What surprising discoveries have you made about things in your everyday life? Some long-held preference or belief that changed once you learned a little bit more? A type of food, or style of music, or any other subject...

Two I can think of offhand:

Sushi. For years, the thought of it kind of grossed me out. But that was because I didn't understand what sushi was. I thought it was just raw fish. Then, at a close friend's dinner party, he explained what sushi really was (seasoned rice) and asked me to watch him make maki rolls. I was surprised to learn that sushi could be made with vegetables only, or with steamed shrimp, or smoked salmon, or teriyaki-baked filet, or even grilled chicken or beef. Now, sushi is one of those foods I crave from time to time.

Opera. I grew up on rock music (and some big-band music). All the opera music I heard really got on my nerves. Once I learned the basics of how to appreciate opera, it really grew on me. I realized that the "popular" pieces, the ones you hear all the time ad nauseum, aren't usually the best parts... just like the songs by any group that get the most radio play aren't always the best ones on the CD. And since it is actually musical drama, it's better to see an opera, rather than just listen to it. The story, plus the music, plus the sets, plus the costumes, makes for an amazing experience.

Anyone else care to share?

victorgrimes

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well . . . politics and religion aside (smirk), I have learned to value people based on who they are. I grew up in a strict religious ghetto (outsiders not welcome) and carried that with me for a long time. Something about the Andy Warhol quote, 'Everyone is beautiful if you look at them for fifteen minutes' - off of his fifteen minutes of fame, really struck me. I get in trouble (not really) for just looking at people and admiring them . . . and talking to them. I have discovered that most people are amazing, except for country music fans, of course. ;-p

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well . . . politics and religion aside (smirk), I have learned to value people based on who they are. I grew up in a strict religious ghetto (outsiders not welcome) and carried that with me for a long time. Something about the Andy Warhol quote, 'Everyone is beautiful if you look at them for fifteen minutes' - off of his fifteen minutes of fame, really struck me. I get in trouble (not really) for just looking at people and admiring them . . . and talking to them. I have discovered that most people are amazing, except for country music fans, of course. ;-p
Thanks, VG... I used to detest country music, too, until I actually heard some truly talented country musicians. That was an epiphany for me, too.

Most people do have some beautiful aspect, if you are willing to find it - outward appearances notwithstanding. Sometimes, there's quite a skill to discerning another person's beauty. You reminded me of another...

My freshman year in college, there was a strikingly beautiful young woman in my department (also a freshman), but she struck me as being exceptionally conceited and condescending. She spoke to a few people, but not many. After a couple of months, I figured out that she was actually very sweet, just pathologically shy. Over the next year or so, we became pretty good friends. My lesson: first impressions are impossible to avoid, but they can sometimes be misleading.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Learning that it's possible not to take things so personally. It's been a tremendous help in my career since every once in a while I have to deal with an irate or rude client. It used to bother me and now I find it funny, which often takes the wind out of their sails and gives us a chance to work on the problem instead of allowing their attitude to get in the way.

I'm rather proud of that one. :redface:

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Thanks, VG... I used to detest country music, too, until I actually heard some truly talented country musicians. That was an epiphany for me, too.

Most people do have some beautiful aspect, if you are willing to find it - outward appearances notwithstanding. Sometimes, there's quite a skill to discerning another person's beauty. You reminded me of another...

My freshman year in college, there was a strikingly beautiful young woman in my department (also a freshman), but she struck me as being exceptionally conceited and condescending. She spoke to a few people, but not many. After a couple of months, I figured out that she was actually very sweet, just pathologically shy. Over the next year or so, we became pretty good friends. My lesson: first impressions are impossible to avoid, but they can sometimes be misleading.

sounds just like me! i had an epiphany a while back that it takes me a while to become friends with new people. i remember working at a summer job with other summer students, and not really talking to anybody at all. i would just sit and read my book when i had free time, which came off as anti-social in the minds of the other students. later on, i started to get to know them, and became great friends. one of the girls even told me that she thought i was "stuck-up" and "pretentious" before she got to know me.

and i just noticed a while back that i seem to worry about stuff alot. it struck me when for class, my group was creaating a film, and i was stressed the hell out thinking about things, while everybody was at ease creating the film. Also, i do worry about things i might've done or said to people. i just noticed that i worry about alot of things. especially the future.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Ha, MercurialBliss and PrinceWill, isn't it great to realize that not everything has to be as complicated as we sometimes like to make it?

Bliss, I was certain you would have posted some light-bulb-over-the-head anecdote about me and my dungeon!

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
For years, I was unable to decide to move certain people out of my life.
There were people I didn't enjoy, even found abusive ... but I somehow always allowed them back in, while gritting my teeth.
I had the idea that this was somehow virtuous.
No idea why.
And then, I suddenly saw how masochistic it was, and how I (and they, in most cases) would be better served if I learned to respectfully and calmly severe the connection.
I've only done this a few times and have never had a problem with it.
It also seems that fewer new problems come up.
I haven't become Superman ... just moved from an immature strategy into one that most moderately mature people adopt automatically.
It's nice.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The one I recall most vividly came when I was seven years old.

I was riding the bus on the way to school in late autumn, watching the trees pass by out the window. Like someone had flipped a switch in my mind, it was suddenly clear to me that cold did not exist as a separate state of being...it was simply the absence of heat.

It was from that point that I began to consciously question the nature of everything I learned or experienced.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
you can't just go on a rant and post whatever comes out of your mine when your out of your mind.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ha, MercurialBliss and PrinceWill, isn't it great to realize that not everything has to be as complicated as we sometimes like to make it?
Yes. The best part about conquering a fear is realising it truly is all in your head.
Bliss, I was certain you would have posted some light-bulb-over-the-head anecdote about me and my dungeon!
You could call those experiences epiphanies. I prefer the term "enlightenment" myself. :wink::biggrin1:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes. The best part about conquering a fear is realising it truly is all in your head.

You could call those experiences epiphanies. I prefer the term "enlightenment" myself. :wink::biggrin1:
Well, "enlightenment" doesn't have the same connotation. I usually think of "enlightenment" as an over-time sort of thing, and the epiphany is the sudden light-switch understanding.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Well, "enlightenment" doesn't have the same connotation. I usually think of "enlightenment" as an over-time sort of thing, and the epiphany is the sudden light-switch understanding.

True. I should emphasise I was thinking about my lessons in BDSM 101, thanks to you and HollyBlue. The dungeon is a part of that enlightenment period. :smile:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
True. I should emphasise I was thinking about my lessons in BDSM 101, thanks to you and HollyBlue. The dungeon is a part of that enlightenment period. :smile:
So I guess your only epiphany in the dungeon was just how COLD a chainmail shirt is against your bare skin!

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So I guess your only epiphany in the dungeon was just how COLD a chainmail shirt is against your bare skin!

I had this same epiphany.

And heavy...

Ditto.

Haha, she was prepared for that, and she knew it would be cold. She just had no idea HOW cold!

It only weighs about 30 pounds, so, it's not that bad.

The pictures turn out so lovely.

That's all? Hell, I'll wear two!

Will you care if I lust over you while you do this?

Seriously--my greatest epiphany was really my realization of my true orientation and learning to love myself all over again and, in the process, view myself in a whole new way that was 1000 times healthier than before. Rebuilding your sense of self from the ground up is an amazing journey.