Epiphanies

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Seriously--my greatest epiphany was really my realization of my true orientation and learning to love myself all over again and, in the process, view myself in a whole new way that was 1000 times healthier than before. Rebuilding your sense of self from the ground up is an amazing journey.
Haha, going back to what Bliss and I talked about earlier - realizing your orientation was your epiphany, and learning to love yourself again was the enlightenment!

I'm glad to have been at least a small part of that journey, my friend.

(Puck's here this weekend, but I know you are booked up. He's finishing up his rotation in Philly, then back to Chicago. He'll be doing a rotation at Washington Hospital Center before long, so maybe we can all get together then. Soon, soon...)

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Well LPSG has helped me be more conscious of others point of view. I think before i say things in public, i try to be more compassionate and understanding.

Life in general has helped me realize that i might have been the only girl, youngest by far and Daddy's lil princess at home- but no one gives a shit about that in real life.

People for the most part don't look at the brand names of your clothing. All that worrying about Doc Martens and Guess Jeans back in the day were not preparing me any way for real life. And it was a good thing that my parents buy them for me.

I also can't even begin to list the things that i've learned from having an autistic child. It's like being born all over again the day they are born. You have no idea how your language skills will have to be switched around to get a simple message across. You become aware of everything around you- lighting, sound, smells, tastes, restrictive clothing....

I appreciate so more. I embrace many different types of diversity- from religious, orientation, politics. I always have something to learn and people can always teach us.

Bbucko flipped me on my side in the abortion thread. I think of him and his family often because of it. He taught me so much.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Ha, MercurialBliss and PrinceWill, isn't it great to realize that not everything has to be as complicated as we sometimes like to make it?

Bliss, I was certain you would have posted some light-bulb-over-the-head anecdote about me and my dungeon!

lol...i know, right? simple things you notice in your life can change it forever. seems like one of those dream-like theories like serendipity or pre-destination or whatever. :)

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I also can't even begin to list the things that i've learned from having an autistic child. It's like being born all over again the day they are born. You have no idea how your language skills will have to be switched around to get a simple message across. You become aware of everything around you- lighting, sound, smells, tastes, restrictive clothing....
I'm with ya there, lady. One of my nephews is a Fragile X baby, and exhibits a high degree of autistic characteristics, in addition to all the other Fragile X problems.

Let me guess... one of your epiphanies here was "it suddenly struck me that such an intense and exhausting job of caring for a special-needs child could be such a blessing!"

Scott14

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
As I've gotten older it's been curious to me how my food tastes have changed. Olives, artichokes, ground pepper, hotter spicy foods are all things that I used to actually hate and now I enjoy and even look forward to eating them. (When I was a boy I had a great-aunt who used to put a ton of ground red pepper on her spaghetti. I couldn't stand putting even one little piese of that stuff in my mouth! I began to figure that your taste buds must start to die out as you got older, because it was actually PAINFUL for me to eat this stuff that she really enjoyed!)

Another epiphany I'm having right now is a total disgust with American politics. What we have going on right now in our presidential election process is so controlled and minipulated by the entertainment and news industry (they're one-in-the-same) that anyone who is a true leader and statesman (male or female) cannot possibly get elected - especially if they try to be honest by telling the American public what our country truly needs to do. So what we get are people motivated by what's best for themselves (and advancing their personal or their party's political power and popularity) versus what's best for the country.

I'd be interested in hearing what you non-Americans think of what you see or hear going on in our American politics right now.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
As I've gotten older it's been curious to me how my food tastes have changed. Olives, artichokes, ground pepper, hotter spicy foods are all things that I used to actually hate and now I enjoy and even look forward to eating them. (When I was a boy I had a great-aunt who used to put a ton of ground red pepper on her spaghetti. I couldn't stand putting even one little piese of that stuff in my mouth! I began to figure that your taste buds must start to die out as you got older, because it was actually PAINFUL for me to eat this stuff that she really enjoyed!)

Another epiphany I'm having right now is a total disgust with American politics. What we have going on right now in our presidential election process is so controlled and minipulated by the entertainment and news industry (they're one-in-the-same) that anyone who is a true leader and statesman (male or female) cannot possibly get elected - especially if they try to be honest by telling the American public what our country truly needs to do. So what we get are people motivated by what's best for themselves (and advancing their personal or their party's political power and popularity) versus what's best for the country.

I'd be interested in hearing what you non-Americans think of what you see or hear going on in our American politics right now.

There are tons of American Politics posts in this forum, a lot of commentary in them is from people all around the world.

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I'm with ya there, lady. One of my nephews is a Fragile X baby, and exhibits a high degree of autistic characteristics, in addition to all the other Fragile X problems.

Let me guess... one of your epiphanies here was "it suddenly struck me that such an intense and exhausting job of caring for a special-needs child could be such a blessing!"

Yes! I had no idea it would get much easier. The first 3 years were insanely difficult. Fragile X definitely exhibits a lot of autistic symptoms. How old is he?

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Chronologically, he's 16. Functionally, he's about 4 or 5.

Are you around him much? Does the public school system offer him schooling? I know where i live that the they have to provide a place for our children during the hours of school in a school environment as long as their peers are in school for that time. My daughter went through 3 years of being in the public school for a partial day with special ed teachers to prepare her for kindergarten. She has some classmates that have more severe disabilities that will continue to move to subsequent grades with her. She is mostly mainstreamed now but still relies on some special ed for fine/gross motor skills and sensory issues.

I would hope other states would offer the same opportunity to kids.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i played little league at a very young age and the coaches kids got to play first base and pitch even though they weren't that great. i realized early on that some kid's father's are bigger than other kid's father's and that my dad was on the shorter side.

mista geechee

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i've learned to look at the big picture. and by big picture i mean the universal picture. i've learned to understand our place in the universe. i've learned that their is something bigger than us. freedom starts in your mind. your mind has to be free of all worldly thinking. and my ind is finally free.

but i posted something like this a few weeks ago

http://www.lpsg.org/86619-truly-enlightened.html

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I think i've just had two.

I realized that a part of me being bisexual can stem from me constantly falling in love with anyone, regardless of their gender, who give me love, attention and kindness. It's rather frustrating. I just hope that doesn't mean that i am needy.

Also, i realized that i never share the core of myself with anyone. I never let myself be vulnerable around other people. I rarely share anything deeply personal with other people.

geez, this is rather depressing.