Equality - A True Soul Food

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_VinylBoy, Jan 2, 2011.

1. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

There was a great op-ed piece from journalist Nicholas Kristof of the NY-Times over the weekend. He provided a more decorative way to illustrate how the effects of inequality does more harm to people than some care to comprehend -

There’s growing evidence that the toll of our stunning inequality is not just economic but also is a melancholy of the soul. The upshot appears to be high rates of violent crime, high narcotics use, high teenage birthrates and even high rates of heart disease.

Read the entire piece here.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/02/opinion/02kristof.html?src=ISMR_AP_LO_MST_FB

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    The injustice of being automatically considered inferior (for whatever reason) most definitely eats away at one's soul. Possessing self-esteem despite stigmas designed to crush you is a feat of extraordinary strength and conviction.

Survival is not for wimps.

3. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

You always find the right words to say. :wink:
    What's equally frustrating is the responses from callous individuals who would imply that someone who finds a way out of such oppressive conditions are weak, saying that they're playing the victim when they tell their stories or wanting special rights when they stand up for others still caught in the struggle. Many of them don't even realize that they share more things in common with the people they want to label as lazy or incompetent.

4. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    On of the uglier sides of human nature is a natural inclination to assume and/or seek higher status than someone else based on inherent characteristics or specific cultures. This tendency crosses all national, regional, religious, racial, ethnic and gender barriers. It enforces stigmas that inhibit true equality.

The only antidote that I'm aware of is in recognizing the importance of diversity, keeping an open mind to (seemingly) opposing concepts and, in reality, minding one's own business. Too many people seem to feel the need to make an unfavorable opinion known, and way too many people take the unfavorable opinions of others way too personally.

There are times when avoidance and "creative denial" become key to survival. This is not a sign of weakness; rather it's a sign of pragmatic strength. Things which do not bend easily break easily. That's been one of my little mantras for a long time now.

5. midlifebear

Gold Member

Bbucko:

You're right on target, of course. Sometimes I tease my famous lesbian documentary film maker cousin who holds doctorates in Anthropology and Film, by asking her how she cannot have faith in this wonderful pot latch society we enjoy in the USA. It always makes her giggle. It's an intelligent plaid flannel giggle, but a giggle nonetheless. :smile:

6. JackWyatt76

JackWyatt76 New Member

Bbucko,

Many people aren't that strong

7. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Thanks, VB, I missed the Times over the last two weeks due to writing.

Love the topic of equality and how it manifests in society.
    I have been reading a lot of theories on recognition and misrecognition the last month and I find my view of equality, or what constitutes equality, broadening with the influence. Economic disparity definitely plays a large part, though.

There are some more attuned to these challenges and ready to fight them than others. Does not make them wimps, just less combative - because sometimes it can be like a damn war. :biggrin1:

Too true, all of it.

signed, a bender... but it definitely took some breaks to get me there. :08:

Draft saved Draft deleted