Erect penis anatomy question

gizmo123

Just Browsing
Media
Hey, I have been wondering for a while what the large "vein" is called on the under side of the penis when you are erect. The reason I have been wondering is because when I get an erection mine is not very visable. My penis is not small (about 7.1 by 5.2 inches) so I was wondering why it does not show as much as I have seen on other erect penises. On most I have seen it is very visable and what concerns me is that mine is hardly visable at all. I drew 2 very crude 3 second drawings in paint so you guys can get a better understanding as to what im talking about.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p196/hiro321/question.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p196/hiro321/side.jpg

Thanks for your help.

midmocomo83

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The part you describe is called the corpus spongiosum.

Wikipedia article on penis anatomy: Penis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure yours is perfectly fine; there's a lot of variation in every aspect of our penises, and this is no different.

Of course, if it is something of particular concern to you, it wouldn't hurt to mention it to a medical professional next time you're in a position to do so.

DutchBiged

Just Browsing
Media
I think it's the urethra, the tube your urine and cum is flowing thrue.
The corpus spongiosum is the part that swells and give a penis it's stiffness.
(corpus = body, spongiosum = sponge)
There are still ppl around thinking it's a muscle ;)

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Let's not have confusion. When questions are a matter of fact, and not opinion, let's do research, right?

It is not exactly the urethra, though the urethra is in fact in the vicinity. Wonder what the urethra is surrounded by? You guessed it: corpus spongiosum. The corpus spongiosum is not responsible for erections. That is the job of the corpus cavernosum. The corpus spongiosum, often plainly visable from the ventral side of the penis, at the glans is there to protect the urethra.

Have a diagram.

Have an explantion.

Have another.

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hey, I have been wondering for a while what the large "vein" is called on the under side of the penis when you are erect. The reason I have been wondering is because when I get an erection mine is not very visable. My penis is not small (about 7.1 by 5.2 inches) so I was wondering why it does not show as much as I have seen on other erect penises. On most I have seen it is very visable and what concerns me is that mine is hardly visable at all. I drew 2 very crude 3 second drawings in paint so you guys can get a better understanding as to what im talking about.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p196/hiro321/question.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p196/hiro321/side.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Most likley what youre looking at is not a vein. Veins would tend to be blue and tortuous (curvy) not straight. It most likely is the corpus spongiosum. Penises vary in shape and size and you just dont have a pronounced corpus spongiousum. It doesnt mean anything is wrong with it. I give you credit for asking something that is bothering you. I dont think anyone has any idea how many teenage guys I see in the office during the week that have a lot of questions about their penises and changes that are occurring

gizmo123

Just Browsing
Media
Thanks for all the replies guys. So it doesn't mean there is a problem just because mine isnt very visable? Also I know its a long shot but is there any way to make it more visible such as an exercise? Also im 18, so is it possible that it will naturally become more pronounced as I age?

Thanks again guys.

freedmind

Just Browsing
Media
Given your diagrams I would guess that it is actually your urethra. As straight up the bottom that it is that would be what I would guess it to be. Try this ... when you're peeing try pressing gently to see if the urine stops or slows significantly then it is probably your urethra.

If it is your urethra then to some extent it can be made larger and a bit more visible but I should advise extreme caution as this would require sounding. Something which should be done VERY carefully and only after you are very familiar with the proper procedures. Now even though this may make the diameter of the urethra larger it may not extend down and out more.

If it is a vein you do not want to make it bigger. Don't try. You could end up dammaging the little valves in it which could cause a vericose vein (think an older person's legs) which may not directly affect your ability to get hard but vericose veins can become painful not to mention that the blood return would be reduced increasing the possibility of blood clots later in life.

FM

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Given your diagrams I would guess that it is actually your urethra. As straight up the bottom that it is that would be what I would guess it to be. Try this ... when you're peeing try pressing gently to see if the urine stops or slows significantly then it is probably your urethra.

If it is your urethra then to some extent it can be made larger and a bit more visible but I should advise extreme caution as this would require sounding. Something which should be done VERY carefully and only after you are very familiar with the proper procedures. Now even though this may make the diameter of the urethra larger it may not extend down and out more.

If it is a vein you do not want to make it bigger. Don't try. You could end up dammaging the little valves in it which could cause a vericose vein (think an older person's legs) which may not directly affect your ability to get hard but vericose veins can become painful not to mention that the blood return would be reduced increasing the possibility of blood clots later in life.

FM

Now its been a few years since I took an anatomy course.....but im pretty sure the urethra is inside the penis (i hope my sarcasm is noticed).....it is not his urethra based on the diagram. If your urethra is on the outside of your penis, you have some serious issues. Also, squeezing anywhere on the penis will compress the urethra

danmilan

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
dear Gizmo, After all of the above I think you can rest assured you are as normal as normal can be. What shows on the outside matters little. Signs of veins, ducts or whatever on the skin outside can vary - worry about not getting an erection when you would like one - anyway who's ever going to see the underside except maybe a 69 partner.... (and is your underside all that unpresentable...?)

freedmind

Just Browsing
Media

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

FM

You have no idea of penile anatomy. You are not well studied about sounds. if you are engaged in sound play, stop immediately. You are going to hurt yourself. Also, stop giving out advice. You will hurt someone else.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
http://www.webmd.com/NR/rdonlyres/99F8AE8E-1C47-49B6-9EAC-6E8018A18BFA.jpeg
http://www.webmd.com/NR/rdonlyres/C2697722-45F6-47D6-862F-198AB29BD9CE.jpeg
You are correct, I should clarify ... the urethra is inside the penis but it does run up the bottom surrounded by a bit of corpus spongiosum as denoted by the diagram above.

Sorry.

Blast! It won't embed ... oh well, it is the same link from one of the above posts plus another with bottom view.

It is not merely surrounded by "a bit" of corpus spongiosum. That is where all the corpus spongiosum lies. In fact, that is its only job: surround the urethra. There are two major blood vesels in the same region, on either side of the urethra. Here's where my knowledge gets murky: I don't know if they are veins or arteries. I want to say arteries, but can't remember, and can't find it online. Anyway, they are each much smaller than the urethra, and closer to the surface of the penis than the urethra. What is visible is NOT the urethra. What is visible is the corpus spongiosum.

It is not only this fellow but several. Why, when the information is so easily found on-line would you guess about the answer to a science question when a person is clearly looking for real answers and viable solutions? Do some people just NEEEED to be heard, even when the answer is, "I don't know, and I don't know how to find out or am too lazy."

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
The urethra is on the underside and is pronounced in some erections, depending i guess on the curvature, etc. The veins are often on the top. Mine are pronounced even sporting a softee (see?) There are many variations...

Attachments

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Haha, baseball99 and altered ego... even when presented with factual info, some people will still argue with you. This brings me back to the thread I started a couple of months ago about human sexual anatomy.

In a normal, healthy penis, the only visible part of the urethra is the meatus... the "pee-slit", if you will. Even the "outline" of the urethra is covered, an not visible.

You have two corpus cavernosum, and one corpus spongiosum. The urethra runs through the corpus spongiosum.

To get a vague, general idea of the structure of the penis (underneath the skin) get two kielbasas and a weiner. hold them together in one fist, and they sort of line up in a somewhat "triangular" shape. That's how your corpuses are arranged in your penis, with the two cavernosum on the dorsal or "top" portion, and the (usually) smaller, single spongiosum on the ventral or "bottom" side.

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The urethra is on the underside and is pronounced in some erections, depending i guess on the curvature, etc. The veins are often on the top. Mine are pronounced even sporting a softee (see?) There are many variations...

youre wrong. The urethra is not more pronounced during an erection......ugh

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Haha, baseball99 and altered ego... even when presented with factual info, some people will still argue with you. This brings me back to the thread I started a couple of months ago about human sexual anatomy.

In a normal, healthy penis, the only visible part of the urethra is the meatus... the "pee-slit", if you will. Even the "outline" of the urethra is covered, an not visible.

You have two corpus cavernosum, and one corpus spongiosum. The urethra runs through the corpus spongiosum.

To get a vague, general idea of the structure of the penis (underneath the skin) get two kielbasas and a weiner. hold them together in one fist, and they sort of line up in a somewhat "triangular" shape. That's how your corpuses are arranged in your penis, with the two cavernosum on the dorsal or "top" portion, and the (usually) smaller, single spongiosum on the ventral or "bottom" side.

yep.....it amazes me. what do i know tho right?

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Well, if we must get technical, no, not the urethra itself, but that part of the penis through which it passes. DOH!!

And yes, it is more pronounced in some erections than in others. (Jeeze!)