Erection problems, Quitting Smoking

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by 5ftandhuge, Oct 10, 2005.

1. 5ftandhuge

5ftandhuge New Member

Hi all newbie here.
    I am a 39 y/o male that smokes and has High blood pressure and High cholesterol.
    They are both controlled by medication.
    I have a nice sized penis prolly about 8" long by 7" around. Problem is I don't get hard like I used to. I am wondering if anyone here quit smoking and if you did, did your erections improve? I also was wondering if the meds I take can be causing the lack of rock hardness. I take Diovan for the HBP and Zocor/Zetia for the Cholesterol. I also take a small amount of Paxil for ADD. Any experience with this would be helpful. Thank You.

2. fri2219

fri2219 Member

First off, if you don't believe a word I say, at least pay attention to this: Don't get advice from forums on the internet. Talk to your doctor. That's why you're paying him/her the big bucks.

That said: You have several overlapping issues: From least important to most-

High blood pressure trashes the blood vessels in your dick, so the hydraulic pressure you used to have just isn't attainable anymore. There are a zillion different drug treatment strategies for it, so it's impossible to say if your treatment course is a contributing factor.

Paxil is frequently cited in cases of ED. Paxil is extremely useful in helping smoking cessation. (see below) Wellbutrin is often prescribed as a substitute in cases where this proves to be a long term problem, since not every SSRI works well with every patient. Thanks to genetic differences in your brain and liver, some patients need to try another class of anti-anxiety (or anti-depressant) drug, like Wellbutrin.

But, you have much bigger things to worry about.

ED is the first thing that happens when you've begun to suffer from coronary artery disease. Think of it as the body shutting off non-essential functions to keep the brain and heart going.

Whatever you do, you must absofreakinlutely quit smoking. Now. Get help for that. Most HMOs have free cessation programs. Next, get your ass back into to see your doctor and have him/her lay out an aerobic exercise and diet plan for the rest of your life, and don't just rely on the statins to keep away the magic zipper.

If you're lucky, you're probably 10 years away from having a cardiac event. Consider your current situation a Get Out Of Jail Free Card and take advantage of the time you have.

39 years old is insanely early to have these kinds of symptoms. Your pending cardiac and pulmonary event(s) probably won't kill you, but it'll make the last 30 years of your life crap. Every last day will suck. You will be depressed as hell and won't be able to enjoy most of the things that make life worth living.

You'll be suprised how much better your other issues become after you quit smoking.

P.S. I've never heard of Paxil being approved by the US FDA for ADD, WTF is that about? I'm not your doctor, but I'm surprised at that sort of recomendation. There must be some sort of miscommunication there. The two illnesses for which the FDA has approved Paxil are social anxiety and depression. That's it.

P.P.S. Talk to your doctor.

3. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    Quiting smoking can never hurt anything...except cigarette manufactureres bottom line....fuck them...Quit Smoking.....

4. B_HappyHammer1977

B_HappyHammer1977 New Member

First of all Fri is right, see a doctor.
    I will say though, anecdotally, at the last company I worked at about 5-10 of us all gave up at the same time (I gave up April 1st last year!). I remember one of the older guys there saying, to his embarrassment, that since he gave up smoking he was getting harder erections. I hadn't noticed any change until he mentioned that, but he was right, I too was harder than I was before. I can only presume it has something to do with veins and arteries being blocked by all the nasty stuff that they put in fags. In a nutshell I'm glad I gave up for so many reasons; I feel healthier, I get harder erections and probably best of all, with the money I have saved from not smoking I have bought myself a mercedes! Yeah, really, I did smoke that much and fags do cost that much over here!

5. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    better idea: don't pay for cigarettes. best of both worlds.

6. TallHungLB

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'd say just the fact that you have high blood pressure and high cholestorel would warrant you quitting smoking.

I'm a smoker and it's never effected my ability to get a hard on. :)

7. rich-9.8

rich-9.8 New Member

Smoking and hypertension will damage your penile arteries, just the same way they damage all your other arteries. They can both cause impotence or reduced erections. There's acecdotal evidence that a "penis attack" (i.e. impotence) can presage a heart attack in the near future.

In the long term your medication will keep your body, and your dick, healthy. The best thing you can do for your health now, including your dick, is to stop smoking.

8. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    While we all know this information, sometimes a quote helps reinforce it. I found this site and share with you for what it is worth. Thanks.

Impotence Cause - Physical
    Some of the main physical impotence causes will be discussed in detail. Impotence is the inability to achieve an erection. Failure to achieve an erection from time to time can be totally normal. This should however not be more than 25% of the time. If an erection cannot be achieved at least 3 out of 4 attempts, treatment for the correct cause should be obtained to improve sexual health.
    The following physical impotence causes are well known and studied:
    Problems with the blood supply to the penis
    Side effect of medicines and drugs
    Disorders of the nervous system
    Hormonal disorders
    Structural damage to the penis
    Other, complex or multi-systemic diseases
    Restricted Blood Flow to the Penis
    Reduced blood flow to the penis is the most common cause of impotence. The narrowing of the arteries that supply blood to the penis brings about this condition. This narrowing of the arteries can be caused by conditions such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease or diabetes, as well as by smoking and lead to the destruction of the contractile walls of the veins or provoke hardening, narrowing or blockages of the arteries leading to the penis. In some cases impotence cause may be a blood clot, preventing sufficient blood flow into the penis to achieve an erection.

Erection of the penis is achieved when blood, carried by the supply arteries of the penis, engorge erectile bodies made of spongeous tissue. Any failure in this filling mechanism, such as the narrowing of arteries by atherosclerotic plaques, may lead to an erectile insufficiency.

Venus Leakage
    In persons that have a sexual health condition such as venus leakage, the blood flow into the penis is sufficient, but the blood quickly leaks out again. The cause of this impotence cause is not known, but doctors can perform surgery to rectify this problem.

Erection is maintained by a physiological closure of the outflow of the blood accumulated in the penis, via the venous vessels. Any failure in this mechanism (relaxation of the vascular system of the penis) result in less rigid erections or the inability to maintain them long enough to complete coitus.

The diagnostic approach to vascular disease is to investigate with an special ultrasound apparatus, called Doppler cavernosonogram, which is able to make a color picture of the blood flow in the penis.

Prostate Cancer
    Another male impotence cause may be prostate cancer. Nerves and arteries that are vital for an erection may be damaged during the advanced stages of prostate cancer. Surgery or radiation treatment can also damage erectile tissue, artery or nerves. Prostate surgery damages the nerves in more than 80 % of the cases. Part of these patients recover sexual function, completely or partially, after a year or so, but the majority remains impotent for life. Radiation therapy of prostate cancer, although less damaging, has an effect on sexual potency too. Other pelvic surgeries may have a detrimental effect of erection.
    Prostatites
    Bacterial infection of the prostate gland can cause inflammation resulting in painful and more frequent urination and sometimes a fever, as well as pain on ejaculation and cause impotence. Antibiotics are used to treat the infection and restore normal erectile functionality.
    Peyronie’s Disease
    In this case impotence cause is a scar, also called plague, that forms inside the penis. The penis develops an abnormal curvature and it can be very painful to have an erection. A hard erection may therefore not be possible.
    Diseases of the Nervous System
    Degenerative diseases of the nervous system, such as Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and Parkinson’s disease, can impair the nerves involved in erections and cause impotence.
    Diabetes
    Diabetes contributes to impotence because it can damage blood vessels and cause a type of nerve damage known as peripheral neuropathy. Both forms of diabetes, Type 1 (insulin-dependent) and Type 2 (non-insulin-dependent), are common causes of impotence. The likely hood of a diabetic male being impotent is three time higher than in other men.
    Impotence Cause - Hormones
    Hormones are only responsible for impotence in about two percent of male impotence cases. Low levels of testosterone (a male hormone) are more likely to lower one’s sex drive, than actually cause impotence. Lowered testosterone levels can be caused by:
    a condition called hypogonadism, in which the testicles don’t produce enough testosterone or
    a tumour on the pituitary gland at the base of the brain has caused an abnormally high level of prolactin (very seldom)
    Impotence Cause - Medications
    The following medications are known to cause erection problems as a side effect:
    high blood pressure medications such as spironolactone and thiazide diuretics, and beta-blockers
    cholesterol-lowering drugs;
    diabetes medications;
    antidepressants such as phenotiazine
    cancer treatments;
    non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs);
    Medications used to treat gastrointestinal ailments, such as cimetidine
    and epilepsy medications.
    If you experience a sexual health problem such as impotence after starting a new medication, tell your doctor, who may be able to prescribe a different medicine for you.
    Impotence Cause - Depression
    Many men find that when they’re suffering from depression, they can’t get or keep an erection. Asking your doctor for treatments for depression may help alleviate your erection problems as well.
    Impotence Cause - Injury
    Nerves and blood flow to the penis may be impaired by injury to the sex organs, spinal cord or as a result of a pelvic fracture causing impotence.
    Surgery
    Surgery to the bladder, rectum and prostate can cause nerve or artery damage to the penis, resulting in the inability to have an erection.
    Smoking
    Smoking can affect the blood flow to the penis due to its contribution to vascular disease.
    Alcohol
    Alcohol can affect the nervous system and impair sexual response. If alcohol is used for a long time, the liver may get infected and an imbalance of hormones can be brought about. In such cases, the male person will have to many female sex hormones, oestrogen. Permanent nerve damage due to alcohol can also result in impotence.
    Impotence Cause -Drugs
    Drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, barbiturates, and amphetamines act on the central nervous system, impairing sexual health and the body’s ability to respond sexually when abused.

Many of these substances of abuse are considered aphrodysiacs, when taken in small amounts. In fact, a glass of wine during a romantic encounter, may "loose" inhibitions a little bit and decrease the "performance anxiety" or other psychological inhibiting factors. A mild anxiolytic may cause the same effect. Some smokers are calmed down by slowly enjoying a cigarette or a pipe. For some persons, the powerful rush of well being which accompanies the intake of cocaine, metamphetamines and other drugs, may act as a sexual excitant.

Impotence Cause - Psychological

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Disclaimer: The information contained on this site is educational and general in nature and is not meant to substitute the advice provided by a medical professional. The products and statements on our site have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. Please read all product instructions carefully and consult with a healthcare professional before starting any supplementation, treatment or medication program.

© Copyright All Rights Reserved, WorldsBest-Sexual-Health-Site.com

This site is powered by Site Build It! If you want to build your own website then look no further. They simply are the best.

9. fri2219

fri2219 Member

redact that: plaque, not not plague.

One is a chunk of scar tissue, the other is fun little bacterial infection usually caused by Yersinia pestis. :)

10. alien51

alien51 New Member

alien here... after smoking for 35 years,i quit,3 months ago.april 9th,12:45p.m. i had this really little annoying cough,i hadn't had a physical in over 15 years,i knew i had to quit.the anxiety i had about quitting?i doubled my smoking for abou 2 weeks.i knew then i HAD to quit.didn't want to do patches or gum(they all contain nicotine).there wasn't any logic to that.knew i couldn't do cold turkey.went to the internet and found smoke away.com.all natural,herbs,roots, vitamins,stress managers,cd,appetite control.fabulous!when it came,i stared at it for 4or5 days,listened to the cd 4or5 times,then on sunday,took my first dose.haven't even been tempted.a little twinge now and again,but i s'pose that's normal.if you order online,w/instant discount,and the 25.00 rebate,it costs about $60.00 and change.don't buy it from the drugstore.yeah,it's smoke away,but not the COMPLETE kit.DO IT AS SOON AS YOU CAN!you really have to want it.now for the erection stuff.i know my erections are better.has to be better bloodflow.go online and get yourself some enzyte and ogoplex.shopwars.com.nice folks great prices,fast and fair.those two things will help w/erection quality.smilin' bob is happy and i know why.there wasn't anything wrong with my erections,i just wanted something more.but for you i think you'll be happy.i"ve saved over $750.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!see your doctor asap and tell him you are going to quit.it can only help you blood pressure and extend you life and the quality of it.it's the single most important health decision you can make.take it from someone who knows.i feel so much better than i did.and all of us who are sitting at our computers looking at other guys dicks for amusement see your story and respond to you,we care.just for grins,list 10 reasons to quit.10 different reasons for 10 days.i dare you to come up with the same reason twice!!!!!!!!!regards and best of luck to you.alien

Draft saved Draft deleted