Erections

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by Kimahri, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Kimahri

Gold Member

Albums:
    I bellyached in my head whether I was going to post this or not. I gave in because there are lots more people here than in my head.

I recently started taking medication for my bipolar. Despite being told it wouldn't happen, I'm encountering....difficulties with erections and ejaculation. I was wondering if there were some over the counter style stuff to help me out some. Sometimes I'm good to go, other times....it's like it wants to and then dies.

I'm a little "frustrated" here, so any info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kimahri (Ray)

2. VinceNYC

VinceNYC New Member

Please don't take advice from people on the internet regarding this problem. You're on serious medication, and over-the-counter remedies can interact with your drugs and cause problems way worse than Erectile Disfunction.

Talk to your doctor and see if s/he will prescribe one of the ED pills for you. That way s/he can tell you what type of bad interactions and side effects might result. I know--you're embarassed, but why? Doctors have sex too, and they are well aware of the side effects of your medication. This won't be an unusual discussion for them.

I started on Prozac several years ago for depression. I started noticing that, while I could get it up, I couldn't cum!! Try explaining that one to your female doctor! Well, suffice it to say that after a few very sweaty and tiring attempts I didn't waste a moment in going to see my doctor and telling her exactly what the problem was. She put me on another med, and voila!

Anyhow, let me just reiterate that you should not just go willy-nilly trying OTC meds and/or herbal remedies without being very educated on the possible drug interactions that may result. Make an appointment with your doctor, and when s/he asks how the meds are working, say "I think they're working great, but my penis would disagree."

3. jonb

Gold Member

Which psychiatric medication are you on? Lithium can cause erectile dysfunction. Either way, this is definitely a doctor problem, not an internet problem.

4. Myrmidon

Myrmidon New Member

You know, you could probably try some of the "natural" remedies such as Kegel's and junk like that. There's probably no chance of messing you up doing something easy and medicine-less like that, also, ask your doctor if it's safe to take Gingko Biloba, that's helped me personally a tiny bit, and it just makes you feel better in general. :p

5. Kimahri

Gold Member

Albums:
    Hmmm. Strong responses.

6. jonb

Gold Member

Not really strong, just good advice. Trust me: You do NOT want to go off your medication. Bipolar disorder is definitely more stressful than impotence, for both you and your partner. You might remember back before you were diagnosed; I'm guessing you had an episode before that?

Of course, you should always watch your sodium and cholesterol too. Too much or too little of either can throw your blood pressure out of whack.

7. Supportive Female

Supportive Female New Member

Did you see the other two threads on this topic?

One thread is in "Women's Issues" (page 1, topic starter "feelsblind"); the other is in "Etc, Etc" (on page 2).

You didn't specify which brand name prescription drug you're taking; I realize (from personal experience) how difficult it is to discuss various medications. With all the news reports and various lawsuits floating around, a casual mention could cause a longtime friend to look at you sideways!

(Life just ain't easy sometimes! ;) )

8. Sharps-Rifle

Sharps-Rifle New Member

Albums:
    You've got a strong problem. Difficulty with getting an erection and ejaculating sent me to my doctor after the very first episode. Sex is very serious and important to me.

Please listen to VinceNYC and go to your doctor. Also, please report back to us what you find out.

Best to You,
    Sharps-Rifle

9. OldLady

OldLady New Member

The others have good advice: please don't be embarrassed to talk to your doctor about this. For better or worse, sexual dysfunction is a well-known side effect of many medications. I just wanted to add that I used to be on different meds for bipolar disorder for some years (on and off), but two years ago, I finally successfully disputed it. I had some severe sexual dysfunction issues, too. Usually doctors will be good about changing meds, adjusting dosages, or whatever, but definitely talk to your doctor first. The primary concern is usually to treat the bipolar and if the meds are treating the disorder adequately, sometimes they are reluctant to change. If side effects are significant, though, doctors also understand that many patients become "medication resistant" so keep talking if there are significant problems.

Best wishes with both the sexual dysfunction as well as treating the bipolar disorder; it's not fun by any means.

10. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

I experienced similar issues when I started taking LexaPro (how funny is that?!?).
    Symptoms were an inabilioty to cum and weight gain. I talked to my doctor and he gave me an additonal med for the weight gain and, as soon as my mood stabalized, we started reducing my meds and the symptoms went away. Sometimes its a factor of dosage--how much of the med do you need to manage your condition effectively, etc.

11. Kimahri

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, I think I'm on the lowest dosage I can get on and still have it be effective. I can ejaculate about a 1/4 as many times as before now, but that's because of vitamins I"m taking and stuff. Kinda rough on me sometimes.

12. twista

twista Member

If you are on Bupropion (Wellbutrin) you are not suppose to have erectile problems, but everyone is different. However, most other psychiatric drugs are known to cause erectile problems. If you are having problem I suggest going to your doctor to see if he can adjust your dose or change the medication.

On the other hand if you listen to psychiatric expert Tom Cruise you are crazy for even taking medications for your bipolar disorder and should instead take herbs, vitamins and exercise. I hope you note the sarcasm. :D

13. steve319

Gold Member

Ray, I think the advice to be open with your doctor is solid. You probably already know that the bipolar thing can be affected by things as seemingly innocuous as your diet, so adding supplements on top of your medication might throw things further awry, and you surely don't want that, right?

BTW, is the medication helping out otherwise?

Also, a portion of this problem might be related, at least partially, to your own apprehension and fear of this problem possibly surfacing. I mean, if you went into this medication cycle expecting/dreading erectile problems, maybe your anxiety is contributing to (or creating) the problem in the first place?

At any rate, definitely consider talking to your doctor about these symptoms. Who knows? This might be something that is easily remedied. Or a really common sign of something that needs to be adjusted. And if you're not satisfied with what he/she does for you, see another doctor for a second opinion (NOT for a competing prescription). Just don't delve into the dangerous realm of self-regulation or self-medication. Not worth the risk.

Good luck with it and definitely keep us posted!

14. Pene_Negro_Grande

Gold Member

Wellbutrin is what my best friend switch to when he was having a clog in the piping down there...He said no sexual side effects anymore...He switched from Lexapro...

15. Freddie53

Gold Member

The LPSG is great for many things. I have gained over 20 pounds. And I am having those same problems of erections sometimes just fading away or not being able to cum and do tell I am on LEXAPRO.

Someone said Welbutrin. Well I am headed to my urologist and finding out.

Several commented on being careful about mixing herbs and prescription medications. That is correct. However, it has been proved that good excercise and a good diet do make a difference. Too much fat does affect bedroom performance in a bad way. Oysters are the best food to eat for sexual performance. One reason is the zinc. However, too much zinc can hurt you. Taking one tablet of zine a week probaby wouldn't hurt. But taking it every day in the dosage that it comes in is not wise unless you have a zinc defiency which neds to be verified by a doctor. Taking the B vitamins, C and E usually do make you healhier so that helps in the bedroom as well.

Sleeping disorders affect sexual performance also, but only a doctor can diagnose those problems using a sleep disorder evaluation that monitors your sleep habits.

16. Imported

Gold Member

hamslice: it could be in your head, because you thought it was gonna happen, it is now, its like a placebo affect

Draft saved Draft deleted