Eric Clapton

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
pretty much the man...can you think of anyone who has gone through as many different bands and incarnations over the years yet who has constantly produced such incredible music?

from the Yardbirds, Cream, Derek and The Dominos, Blind Faith, solo, etc...the guy is pretty incredible...i saw him live back in 1985 when i was 14, at a show at The Beacon in New York and it was incredible because of the small nature of the venue....he just ripped it up.

what are you favorite Clapton tunes from all his various eras/bands...

mine:

Badge
I Feel Free
Strange Brew
Sunshine Of Your Love
Tears In Heaven
Crossroads
Anyone For Tennis
Can't Find My Way Home
Let It Rain
Layla
Got to Get Better In A Little While
Knockin on Heavens Door
Hello Old Friend
Lay Down Sally
Cocaine
Wonderful Tonight
She's Waiting
Forever Man
After Midnight
I Wish You Would
Good Morning Little School Girl
Bell Bottom Blues
Broken Hearted
It's In The Way That You Use it

so many...it is mind boggling

thoughts? favorites?

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to loathe Clapton from about age 20 -30. My joke was that "they didn't call him slowhand for nothin'". I maybe went as far as referring to him as Eric Crapton at times.

But then I started to really think about the man and his life... he's been through just about all of it. The man is really a shining example of humanity and has given sooooo much to mankind.

Cream was the shit, I wasn't a huge fan, but absolutely devoured "Wheels of Fire" one Summer when I was 12 or 13. that was the same time when "Nothing Like The Sun" and "The Color Of Money" came out. I was always aware of the 70's AOR staple "After Midnight" and was perplexed by the Michelob commercials that featured a slowed down and swampy re-recorded version of it.

His three other hits from that time:

"The Way That You Use It", "Forever Man" and "She's Waiting" are absolutely phenomenal songs.

I fucking hate "Cocaine" but that's just because I hate the drug and have a disdain for all of the rednecks taking a beer game like opportunity to snort a line when that song came on the radio in the 80's.

Fuck if "Lay Down Sally" and "Rock and Roll Heart" aren't just two sweet and awesomely cool songs with no real message. Clapton was totally channeling J.J. Cale on those two.

Clapton was a mimic and a voracious learner... very similar to Michael Jackson. A brilliant, BRILLIANT man who, as a blues purist, wrote and crafted some of the best modern pop songs.

He is a legend in his own time and his Crossroads tour is the absolute HOLY GRAIL for guitarists and guitar enthusiasts. Watching Jeff Beck, Vinnie Colaiuta and Tal Wilkenfeld together live in 2007 on PBS was a MASSIVE treat.

Eric is the man. :biggrin1:

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Kind of share a similar view as tripod in his 20's...He's alright. Love all the Cream shit, anyone for tennis is the jam...but I got turned off by him a long time ago when Eddie Van Halen, who has always listed Clapton as his #1 influence, was continually shot down by Clapton, as if he weren't shit...wouldn't even meet the dude! Say what you will but Eddie Van Halen at 21 was blowing the fucking windows out of houses and bringing sounds out of amps that have never been heard before...or since. I've heard stories from older friends of mine when they played "Eruption" the first time...one dude told me he picked up his boom box and shook it around cause he couldn't believe what he was hearing out of it...Not sure what kind of ingenuity Eric really ever brought...longevity maybe, but can't say he was ever the best at what he did. Page was better in his time. Hendrix obviously. Clapton was always a little too "clean" of a player for me.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Kind of share a similar view as tripod in his 20's...He's alright. Love all the Cream shit, anyone for tennis is the jam...but I got turned off by him a long time ago when Eddie Van Halen, who has always listed Clapton as his #1 influence, was continually shot down by Clapton, as if he weren't shit...wouldn't even meet the dude! Say what you will but Eddie Van Halen at 21 was blowing the fucking windows out of houses and bringing sounds out of amps that have never been heard before...or since. I've heard stories from older friends of mine when they played "Eruption" the first time...one dude told me he picked up his boom box and shook it around cause he couldn't believe what he was hearing out of it...Not sure what kind of ingenuity Eric really ever brought...longevity maybe, but can't say he was ever the best at what he did. Page was better in his time. Hendrix obviously. Clapton was always a little too "clean" of a player for me.

well, Page and Hendrix have always been my personal favorite with Clapton a distant 3rd, , i was a huge Van Halen fan in the early years...saw them when i was 12 years old live at the Meadowlands/Brendan Byrne

but with regards to Clapton "shooting down" Eddie Van Halen i personally never heard any of those stories, though i do not doubt they exist. but, you have to be a bit more understanding of Clapton as a person.

Dude was a *WRECK* his whole life...he never even took care of his son Conor alone, in the kids four years of life, then finally stopped seeing him when he was three...the tragedy was that the only day he ever took care of the kid on his own, finally, when he was four and he saw him for the first time in a year, was the day before he tragically died (incidentally i was walking right down Park Avenue off 57th street a few minutes after it happened, and saw the paramedics and police and yellow tape...didn't know what happened at the time...so i walked over to one of the cops and asked what was going on...he said "you know the guitar guy Eric Clapton?" i said "oh my god, what happened to him?" he said, "no it wasn't him...it was his little kid, like 5 years old, fell out the window on the 53rd floor and landed on the roof of that building" (which was 49 floors down)

i was fucking horrified.

Clapton would go for weeks without even speaking to his live-in girlfriend, because the guy hated noise.

So while sure it would have been nice for Clapton to meet Eddie, the guy was an absolute zombie, several suicide attempts, drinking, heroin, when you do not even want to see your baby and do not play with your kid because you are that freaked out about a baby causing chaos, and you do not speak to your de facto wife *not a single word* for weeks on end, while in the same house and room, there is something really wrong, and meeting Eddie probably was not high on his list.

he would drink all day and all night, but never be drunk...just comatose...then he would disappear for a month, to the carribbean to try and quit drinking...and this was after heroin.

as his former Girlfriend Lory (Conor's mom) said:
'But it was the silences which were the hardest of all. He needed total silence, to live in a place with no noise. I never heard him play the guitar or sing in the house, except once when he rang me and sang Happy Birthday over the phone. He would go into silent periods for days, even weeks, and eventually come out of the silence by saying something like, "Do you want to eat?" That would be followed by something the next day, eventually building up to a couple of sentences a day. I would always wait for him to talk first because he expected me to be silent those times, too. Then he would say something really beautiful to me that would make up for all the silences.'

not to mention how he grew up thinking his grandparents were his parents and his mom was his sister and never ever meeting his dad.

and spending two decades in a heroin and booze haze will make you not care at all

cannot say that in his position, i would care to meet anyone, whoever it was. (that being said, Page was always very complimentary of Eddie VH)

not that it excuses any of his behaviors, but i think throughout the 1980s, the last thing Clapton cared about was meeting new people, even if they were great guitarists who admired him immensely.

IMO of course :smile:

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
not that it excuses any of his behaviors, but i think throughout the 1980s, the last thing Clapton cared about was meeting new people, even if they were great guitarists who admired him immensely.

IMO of course :smile:

I can dig all that, but even then, did that ever come across in his playing? When Eddie was miserable and pissed off he came up with Fair Warning which is his darkest and arguably greatest album guitar-wise. Critics may not have dug it back then, but it's a treasure now. You can feel Eddie's frustration and hear the tension amongst the band while listening to it. Where is that in clapton's playing? I am not denying it exists, I am actually quite curious if it does exist.

Did he record anything (besides the pop song tears in heaven) during or after all that trauma he was enduring?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can dig all that, but even then, did that ever come across in his playing? When Eddie was miserable and pissed off he came up with Fair Warning which is his darkest and arguably greatest album guitar-wise. Critics may not have dug it back then, but it's a treasure now. You can feel Eddie's frustration and hear the tension amongst the band while listening to it. Where is that in clapton's playing? I am not denying it exists, I am actually quite curious if it does exist.

Did he record anything (besides the pop song tears in heaven) during or after all that trauma he was enduring?

well, i am not an expert on Eddie's moods, as i thought he actually got much worse in the late 80s, 90s etc (i think he was a mess in the last decade prior to cleaning up, but as i said, i have not paid them much attention since David Lee left in 84/85)...Eddie was pretty functional throughout the time i was a VH fan (80 or so through-84)

as for Fair Warning, i defer to your knowledge of actual guitar complexity/technique as that being his zenith...

i thought Fair Warning was one of their weakest albums in terms of overall song quality, though, "Unchained" and "So This Is Love" were the tunes that started it all for me (and are still my favorites. (i used to go for Halloween every year as DLR from 1981-1985...try being a 10 year old jewish kid with blond hair, telling his parents he is going out on Halloween in NYC dressed in what spandex pants, cowboy boots and no shirt, with a red bandanna around his neck :wink:) it met with a sturdy "OH NO YOU ARE NOT!!!" from my father..."but dad, i said, I am blond, and jewish, just like David Lee...he is a role model." (as you might imagine it did not work) anyway, i settled for trick or treating in the building, wearing red spandex, cowboy boots, a b lack van halen t-shirt, and the red bandana. so fuck you, dad. :biggrin1:

i loved Little Guitars almost as much as Unchained and So This Is Love, with Jamie's Cryin and Runnin with The Devil #4 and #5 in my all time faves.

back to Clapton, really there was no tension of the type you are describing, the boiling of which has fueled many a great band (BEatles/Lennon-McCartney) etc...

since Clapton was rarely part of a band, and left whenever he felt constricted, most of his misery is funneled into his bluesy jams and lyrics and such...though Clapton certainly had some great solos, they were much more tight ( it think that is the right word) then virtuousos such as Page and EdVH (but since i quit guitar after a couple months of frustration, you probably know the technical aspects of playing one million times bettere than I)

though there was definitely tension in the bands he was in, he actually was never that much at anyone's throats...Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker were fucking up Cream later, and Clapton left the Yardbirds when he thought they were going "Pop" (which was a mistake, since in came PAge, who along with Beck ripped out Stroll On, Over Under Sideways Down, and tons of heavy blues riff driven rock...i love the Yardbirds)

he was barely with John Mayall long enough to cause much trouble in teh Bluesbreakers (less than a year IIRC)
\
Blind Faith lasted less than 7 months...Clapton was always just sick of the spotlight, and attention seemingly

then it was D/B and friends, then Derek and the Dominos, which was the one place where he ever got into serious ego clashes, and they broke up and Duane Allman died etc...and after that, he was on his own from 1980 on (roughly)

I think when you listen to alot of Clapton stuff, it is easy to get lost in the "Big name" tunes...

while i love many of those, i prefer many hidden gems like "Hello Old Friend" and you might love a great jam called "Got to Get Better In A Little While"...with you as a guitar guy, i think you'd really dig it, and could probably rip that tune out on your ax and really enjoy it! :biggrin1:

(here is a link in case you have not heard it before)
YouTube - Eric Clapton-Got To Get Better In a Little While

after his son passed away, i think he really lost his edge, and withdrew to the point where i think music became salvation for him, as opposed to the way to really let out aggression that fuels really heavy music like Zep or VH etc...

for him, he retreated into the more introspective soft stuff...around that time he came out with Tears in Heaven as you mentioned, and he had a couple of other really quiet poppy tunes (Change The World) which were a far cry from the 70s tunes, but i appreciated the new side to him, even if it was not his best stuff....though the unplugged stuff was really nice. but i did not like that he moved into soundtrack work...he has been treading water pretty much ever since. (lethal weapon 3, 4, The Story of US, Phenomenon...blech)

I still personally am a Jimmy PAge devotee above all else though, with Jimi behind him because we only got Jimi for such a short time :frown1:(which must have been *INSANE* to hear when it first came out...can you imagine what it must have been like to hear him for the first time back then? Even Clapton said that when he heard Hendrix the first time that it made him realize that Hendrix had totally changed the game, and he was just floored and felt that Hendrix was some kind of alien genius, far above everyone, Clapton included)

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
pretty much the man...can you think of anyone who has gone through as many different bands and incarnations over the years yet who has constantly produced such incredible music?

from the Yardbirds, Cream, Derek and The Dominos, Blind Faith, solo, etc...the guy is pretty incredible...i saw him live back in 1985 when i was 14, at a show at The Beacon in New York and it was incredible because of the small nature of the venue....he just ripped it up.

what are you favorite Clapton tunes from all his various eras/bands...

mine:

Badge
I Feel Free
Strange Brew
Sunshine Of Your Love
Tears In Heaven
Crossroads
Anyone For Tennis
Can't Find My Way Home
Let It Rain
Layla
Got to Get Better In A Little While
Knockin on Heavens Door
Hello Old Friend
Lay Down Sally
Cocaine
Wonderful Tonight
She's Waiting
Forever Man
After Midnight
I Wish You Would
Good Morning Little School Girl
Bell Bottom Blues
Broken Hearted
It's In The Way That You Use it

so many...it is mind boggling

thoughts? favorites?
Flashy, i grew up listening to Cream. My first 45 as a child was White Room. I am a Clapton fan. He's made some amazing music over the years. However, in my opinion he is not a very good guitarist at all. He is very much overrated in that area.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Jeff Beck is a much better guitar player than the Clapton in my eyes. Clapton was too middle of the road. Never anything special about him. Wasn't better than the real bluesman, wasn't better than the real rock guitars. Just middle of the road. Never did anything experimental. Fairly predictable. Nothing remotely close to ground breaking.

Last edited:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thankfully, guitar solos died with the 80's.
Clearly you're not familiar with Eric Johnson or Joe Satriani.

As both a fan and player of blues guitar, I like Clapton...but he's always been a distant second. My first tier has the really old-school guys like Robert Johnson and T-Bone Walker...and later guys, like Johnny Winter and Jimi Hendrix. SRV had a sound that was truly innovative, and probably served to keep blues music alive for another generation.

Clapton is an old, reliable musician...not fancy, not groundbreaking, but consistently good.

joe bltsflk

Experimental Member
Media
There are few songs that will cause me to change the station, but two of them are on this list: "Wonderful Tonight" and "Tears in Heaven." I like Cream-era Clapton best.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Clearly you're not familiar with Eric Johnson or Joe Satriani.

As both a fan and player of blues guitar, I like Clapton...but he's always been a distant second. My first tier has the really old-school guys like Robert Johnson and T-Bone Walker...and later guys, like Johnny Winter and Jimi Hendrix. SRV had a sound that was truly innovative, and probably served to keep blues music alive for another generation.

Clapton is an old, reliable musician...not fancy, not groundbreaking, but consistently good.

i wish they would make a really good biopic about Robert Johnson. :frown1:

i think they could get Don Cheadle and with a great writer i think it could be pretty amazing...he was an incredibly interesting, mysterious, not to mention ground-breakingly brilliant character. (IMO)

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
watch the movie "crossroads" with ralph macchio, Steve Vai and Ry Cooder get nasty in it. Best guitar movie I have ever seen, blues (robert johnson esque), classical, and straight up shred.

The Duel;

The Devil's Trick Bag.

i saw it in theaters when you were about 5, my man :wink:

i shall keep my opinions on that flick starring Ralph Macchio to myself. :wink:

though Steve Vai was doing some nasty good playing in it.